Topics

state QSO party -- pls add the abbreviated name of the counties?

Joe K7JOE

This applies to every single state QSO party.    When working a  XX QSO party and of course on CW we do not send the full county name.  Can the 3 or 4 or 5 letter abbreviation be added to the full name of the county in the cty-rem field.   So for example, instead of just CARVER county,    the text should be CARVER-CVR (*or what ever the abbreviated county name happens to be).   They change the abbreviations from year to year and sometimes it's hard to determine what county to log.  Just worked a guy in the MN QP and he sent CRL but I have no idea what county that spells out... a list would be so handy. 

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

Larry Banks

Hi Joe,

The contest sponsor usually has a list on the contest website.  Check there.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 9:30
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] state QSO party -- pls add the abbreviated name of the counties?

This applies to every single state QSO party.    When working a  XX QSO party and of course on CW we do not send the full county name.  Can the 3 or 4 or 5 letter abbreviation be added to the full name of the county in the cty-rem field.   So for example, instead of just CARVER county,    the text should be CARVER-CVR (*or what ever the abbreviated county name happens to be).   They change the abbreviations from year to year and sometimes it's hard to determine what county to log.  Just worked a guy in the MN QP and he sent CRL but I have no idea what county that spells out... a list would be so handy.

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

Kevin Gray

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, February 6, 2021 8:39 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] state QSO party -- pls add the abbreviated name of the counties?

Hi Joe,

The contest sponsor usually has a list on the contest website.  Check there.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2021 9:30

Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] state QSO party -- pls add the abbreviated name of the counties?

This applies to every single state QSO party.    When working a  XX QSO party and of course on CW we do not send the full county name.  Can the 3 or 4 or 5 letter abbreviation be added to the full name of the county in the cty-rem field.   So for example, instead of just CARVER county,    the text should be CARVER-CVR (*or what ever the abbreviated county name happens to be).   They change the abbreviations from year to year and sometimes it's hard to determine what county to log.  Just worked a guy in the MN QP and he sent CRL but I have no idea what county that spells out... a list would be so handy.

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

Ron Delpiere <kd9ipo@...>

Crystal something maybe? 

On Feb 6, 2021, at 9:30 AM, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...> wrote:

This applies to every single state QSO party.    When working a  XX QSO party and of course on CW we do not send the full county name.  Can the 3 or 4 or 5 letter abbreviation be added to the full name of the county in the cty-rem field.   So for example, instead of just CARVER county,    the text should be CARVER-CVR (*or what ever the abbreviated county name happens to be).   They change the abbreviations from year to year and sometimes it's hard to determine what county to log.  Just worked a guy in the MN QP and he sent CRL but I have no idea what county that spells out... a list would be so handy. 

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

Scott Davis

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your e-mail. To see the county abbreviations, please select List from the menu options.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Feb 6, 2021 9:36 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] state QSO party -- pls add the abbreviated name of the counties?

Crystal something maybe? 

On Feb 6, 2021, at 9:30 AM, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...> wrote:

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

K9PLX Chuck

CRL = Carlton. Each state QSO party has its own web site where you can find the list.
=====
¯\__/¯ Whatever.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 9:16 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your e-mail. To see the county abbreviations, please select List from the menu options.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Sat, Feb 6, 2021 9:36 am

Crystal something maybe? 

On Feb 6, 2021, at 9:30 AM, Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

thanks
Joe K7JOE 

Fred K2DFC

Something I really like about N3FJP contest logs. When we SPOT LAST qso it gives the contest name and county, or section. Unlike other contest logs which show nothing or give the mode. You can always tell who uses N3FJP logging software. (thumbs up)

--
Fred
K2DFC

David Latour

I type the abbreviation, I get the full name
--
David VE4DL

Fred K2DFC

Same here David. And if you type in the wrong abbreviation the program tells you so.

--
Fred
K2DFC

Walter Egenmaier

I am trying to check in to the VERMONT QSO Party, but your software won't let me open the log without putting in a required County. I put in my county and it doesn't accept it. What am I doing wrong?
Walt/WB4ZUT

Walter Egenmaier

Nevermind...I see what I did...d/l the wrong log. My bad

Kevin Gray

Walt,

Are you in Vermont ?

If not did you download the “Out of State” log ?

Or did you get the “IN State” log by mistake ?

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Walter Egenmaier
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2021 12:08 PM

I am trying to check in to the VERMONT QSO Party, but your software won't let me open the log without putting in a required County. I put in my county and it doesn't accept it. What am I doing wrong?
Walt/WB4ZUT

Joe K7JOE

Thanks. Yea i know it’s on each states sponsoring site.    Don’t wanna have to look there every time. And some weekends there are several states or provinces  on the air at once.       Was hoping the text could be added without having to call up lists etc.  when running a contest, things like that slow down the rate.     Joe K7JOE 

Joe K7JOE

This works but sometimes you’re in S&P and don’t have a way to know if you worked that county  multiplier from the main page or not.  All I see is county full name.     Would be a simple addition, no?

Joe K7JOE  

Joe K7JOE

Handy info but missed my point.  I don’t want to have to hunt for the list when contesting on another page or within the program.  The  CTY-REM field would be an ideal place store  this. Especially since the states don’t standardize the abbreviations. Some use state then county.  Some use county then state. Some are 3 character.  Some are 4.  Some are 5 and so forth.    .   Sometimes the QP’s are run field style  too and we  don’t  always have reliable internet access to reference the sponsors decoder-ring web page .    Other times the pages aren’t updated and wind up with the wrong or old abbreviations from year to year.     

So a simple  ask -  can the text field on the main page include both the spelled out county and the county abbreviation ?  

Joe K7JOE 

Bill Grover

I agree this would be nice.  In the contest you don’t want to spend the time to try and type the whole county name and the abbreviation is not what you think it is so having it in the list as suggested would be helpful. 

Bill Grover N3EYF

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...>
Sent: Monday, February 8, 2021 11:02:11 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>

Handy info but missed my point.  I don’t want to have to hunt for the list when contesting on another page or within the program.  The  CTY-REM field would be an ideal place store  this. Especially since the states don’t standardize the abbreviations. Some use state then county.  Some use county then state. Some are 3 character.  Some are 4.  Some are 5 and so forth.    .   Sometimes the QP’s are run field style  too and we  don’t  always have reliable internet access to reference the sponsors decoder-ring web page .    Other times the pages aren’t updated and wind up with the wrong or old abbreviations from year to year.     

So a simple  ask -  can the text field on the main page include both the spelled out county and the county abbreviation ?  

Joe K7JOE 

Larry Banks

Hi Bill,

There is a list.  Click on LIST and you will see it.  Then click on the correct county and it will fill the CNTY data entry.  I fear that putting the full list (abbreviation and full name as shown in the LIST) into the Cty Rem list will not fit well.   It is just one more click, much larger, and therefore easier to read.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Monday, February 08, 2021 12:05

I agree this would be nice.  In the contest you don’t want to spend the time to try and type the whole county name and the abbreviation is not what you think it is so having it in the list as suggested would be helpful.

Bill Grover N3EYF

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Joe K7JOE via groups.io <k7joe@...>

Handy info but missed my point.  I don’t want to have to hunt for the list when contesting on another page or within the program.  The  CTY-REM field would be an ideal place store  this. Especially since the states don’t standardize the abbreviations. Some use state then county.  Some use county then state. Some are 3 character.  Some are 4.  Some are 5 and so forth.    .   Sometimes the QP’s are run field style  too and we  don’t  always have reliable internet access to reference the sponsors decoder-ring web page .    Other times the pages aren’t updated and wind up with the wrong or old abbreviations from year to year.    

So a simple  ask -  can the text field on the main page include both the spelled out county and the county abbreviation ? 

Joe K7JOE 

Scott Davis

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. It is a bit more complex than it appears as there are a number of things that are keyed off of the county name, but we will give it some thought for the future.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Sent: Mon, Feb 8, 2021 11:02 am

Joe K7JOE 

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your e-mail. To have the abbreviation auto-fill instead of county name, click from the menu options Settings, and enable Use Abbreviations to Auto-Fill County.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Sent: Mon, Feb 8, 2021 12:05 pm

I agree this would be nice.  In the contest you don’t want to spend the time to try and type the whole county name and the abbreviation is not what you think it is so having it in the list as suggested would be helpful. 

Bill Grover N3EYF

Joe K7JOE