Slooow logging from JTAlert

Wes Stewart

I'm not a big fan of FT8 but sometimes that seems to be all there is.  I've not noted this problem before AFAIR.

When I complete a QSO and tell JTAlert to log it, it pops up a window and says, more or less, that it sent it to ACL.  Unfortunately, it's taking minutes for the QSO to populate ACL.  What is the problem?

Wes  N7WS

Scott Davis

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  The only related setting in AC Log is to enable the API.  From that point on, AC Log merely listens for the transfer from JTAlert, so you would need to touch base with the JTAlert folks on that.

If you continue to have trouble, we will soon be releasing AC Log 7.0, which provides a direct connect option to WSJT-X and is plenty fast.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

I'm not a big fan of FT8 but sometimes that seems to be all there is.  I've not noted this problem before AFAIR.

When I complete a QSO and tell JTAlert to log it, it pops up a window and says, more or less, that it sent it to ACL.  Unfortunately, it's taking minutes for the QSO to populate ACL.  What is the problem?

Wes  N7WS

Larry Banks

Hi Wes,

I see this now and then when I have lost my connection to QRZ.  Do you have that enabled?  If so, are the “comments” the last item that is filled before the Q finishes loading?

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 22:37

I'm not a big fan of FT8 but sometimes that seems to be all there is.  I've not noted this problem before AFAIR.

When I complete a QSO and tell JTAlert to log it, it pops up a window and says, more or less, that it sent it to ACL.  Unfortunately, it's taking minutes for the QSO to populate ACL.  What is the problem?

Wes  N7WS

Wes Stewart

I may have answered my own question, but it's too soon to tell. I don't connect to QRZ or any other outside site, but I noted this morning when I woke up my computer that there were two instances of ACL in the task bar.  I closed one of them but I haven't had time to make another QSO to test the communication.

Wes  N7WS

Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2021 22:37

I'm not a big fan of FT8 but sometimes that seems to be all there is.  I've not noted this problem before AFAIR.

When I complete a QSO and tell JTAlert to log it, it pops up a window and says, more or less, that it sent it to ACL.  Unfortunately, it's taking minutes for the QSO to populate ACL.  What is the problem?

Wes  N7WS

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/05/2021 12:37 pm, Wes Stewart via groups.io wrote:
When I complete a QSO and tell JTAlert to log it, it pops up a window and says, more or less, that it sent it to ACL.  Unfortunately, it's taking minutes for the QSO to populate ACL.  What is the problem?

Wes  N7WS

There is nothing slow in the logging from JTAlert to ACLog. It happens within milliseconds. What is slow is how long ACLog takes in actually writing the QSO to its physical log file after receiving the API instruction from JTAlert.

Likely the physical writing to the Log file, which JTAlert uses to confirm the QSO was logged, is being delayed due to ACLog post logging activity, like online log uploads or post logging xml queries. There is nothing JTAlert can do if the physical writing of the QSO to the log file is delayed, that is outside the control of JTAlert., If this is a frequent enough problem, than it is best to turn off the QSO confirmation check in JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/05/2021 7:36 pm, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
The only related setting in AC Log is to enable the API.  From that point on, AC Log merely listens for the transfer from JTAlert, so you would need to touch base with the JTAlert folks on that.

FYI.

There is nothing slow in the logging from JTAlert to ACLog. It happens within milliseconds. What is slow is how long ACLog takes in actually writing the QSO to its physical log file after receiving the API instruction from JTAlert.

Likely the physical writing to the Log file, which JTAlert uses to confirm the QSO was logged, is being delayed due to ACLog post logging activity, like online log uploads or post logging xml queries. There is nothing JTAlert can do if the physical writing of the QSO to the log file is delayed, that is outside the control of JTAlert., If this is a frequent enough problem, than it is best to turn off the QSO confirmation check in JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Scott Davis

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for chiming in!  The full logging sequence on the N3FJP side typically takes 100 milliseconds or less.  The same code is called, where initiated from a connected app or if the user presses enter.  Since the user didn't report any problems when pressing enter, I was guessing that the enter initiated via the API was actually occurring as usual and perhaps JTAlert was not doing the verification right away, but perhaps there is something else at play.  If I'm ever able to duplicate the problem, I'll sure dig in further.

Thanks again for all you do, building and maintaining JTAlert Laurie!