Topics

Serial number problem

W5IO

In the recent CQ WPX RTTY contest a problem between AC Contest Log and Fldigi occurred where what I was transmitting and what was logged are different. It would be one or two different or sent the same serial number twice.

I looked at the FLdigi iogroup and found a number of others had this same problem when using both AC CQ WPX contest log and FLdigi.

Any ideas how to prevent this for the future?

Thanks

Maury
W5IO

Tom Ryan

I experienced the same problem.  I found that the difference lies in how each program deals with log entries.  N3FJP uses a form of error correction.  That is, if the log page isn't filled out correctly, such as a callsign error, etc., it will not log the contact.  Fldigi has no such protection.  It will log anything you entered into it.  This results in different total numbers of calls and subsequent differences in QSO numbers. when running both programs with API interface.

73 Tom  KD6TR

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 9:46:08 AM PST, W5IO <w5io@...> wrote:

In the recent CQ WPX RTTY contest a problem between AC Contest Log and Fldigi occurred where what I was transmitting and what was logged are different. It would be one or two different or sent the same serial number twice.

I looked at the FLdigi iogroup and found a number of others had this same problem when using both AC CQ WPX contest log and FLdigi.

Any ideas how to prevent this for the future?

Thanks

Maury
W5IO

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Thanks for your e-mail. Fldigi sends the serial number, so it needs to ensure it has the correct value. There are two ways to accomplish this. The following is from:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/api.html

To determine the next serial number to be sent:

<CMD><NEXTSERIALNUMBER></CMD> (only functions in programs where a serial number is required).

N3FJP Software responds:

<CMD><NEXTSERIALNUMBERRESPONSE><VALUE>123</VALUE></CMD>

You can also set the next serial number to be sent:

<CMD><SETSERIALNUMBER><VALUE>12</VALUE></CMD>

Fldigi needs to implement one of these two methods to ensure it send the proper serial number. Please be sure to pass this along to the Fldigi developers. You'll find their support group here:

https://groups.io/g/winfldigi/

Be well and enjoy!

[...]

Fred K2DFC

There is a thread running on the FLDigi Group now about this. But so far nothing from the authors.

Fred
K2DFC