Topics

RTTY and PSK with ACLOG

barry@...

Hi All,

I am looking to start using RTTY and PSK. Rather than select RTTY and PSK software and then try to integrate that with ACLOG for logging I though it might be better to ask others what software they recommend based on past experience.
Any advice appreciated.

73, Barry GM5BDX

JoAnn Donaldson

I find it a lot better to use the dedicated contest loggers for RTTY and PSK. They are setup for these type of contests and make it a real easy to submit your results. Making a ADIF file after the contest is over and then merging it with AC Log is really simple.

JoAnn Donaldson
AB8YZ

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 9:03:29 AM CST, barry@... <barry@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to start using RTTY and PSK. Rather than select RTTY and PSK software and then try to integrate that with ACLOG for logging I though it might be better to ask others what software they recommend based on past experience.
Any advice appreciated.

73, Barry GM5BDX

Scott Davis

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your e-mail. There are a number of free digital programs that interface with all of our software. Most are quite easy, but I think you'll find N7YG digital engine the easiest of them all. More details are here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

I am looking to start using RTTY and PSK. Rather than select RTTY and PSK software and then try to integrate that with ACLOG for logging I though it might be better to ask others what software they recommend based on past experience.
Any advice appreciated.

73, Barry GM5BDX

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

If looking for software to run this weekend’s RTTY contest, try the free version of HRD and use N3FJP and go into settings and click on API….that way every RTTY contact automatically gets entered in Scott’s log.  It’s a piece of cake

Just thought I’d mention it

73

Frank

NG1I

I find it a lot better to use the dedicated contest loggers for RTTY and PSK. They are setup for these type of contests and make it a real easy to submit your results. Making a ADIF file after the contest is over and then merging it with AC Log is really simple.

JoAnn Donaldson

AB8YZ

On Thursday, February 11, 2021, 9:03:29 AM CST, barry@... <barry@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking to start using RTTY and PSK. Rather than select RTTY and PSK software and then try to integrate that with ACLOG for logging I though it might be better to ask others what software they recommend based on past experience.
Any advice appreciated.

73, Barry GM5BDX

Richard Rohrer

I use two different programs depending on what I am doing.  For casual digital modes and non-RTTY contests I use Fldigi which interfaces to ACL without any problem, just check the correct boxes in the logging setup.  For RTTY contests I use N1MM+ with MMTTY and several other decoders.  I like to operate true RTTY during contests and with my IC7410 I can setup another decoder that will put the Icom's built in  decoder into a decoder window, I think the Icom hardware decoder works better than most of the software ones.  I found that I did not like the waterfall display on N7YG program since it is derived from MMVARI.  I use to use HRD/DM780, but did not like the burden it put on the computer, since the only part of HRD used was the rig interface for frequency and ptt.  I would suggest trying a couple of different programs and settle on the one that fits your operating style.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Wes Stewart

IMHO, MMTTY is the RTTY program of choice.  Unfortunately, ACL doesn't listen to it.  This pretty much leaves N1MM+, which has a learning curve, but is real contest software and free.

Personally, since I'm not a real contester, but operate looking for new ones, I still use AXETTY, a MMTTY variant that interfaces with my venerable DXBase, which remains my main awards-tracking software.

I have the suite of N3JFP programs but this RTTY issue keeps me from a full embrace.

Wes  N7WS

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 07:03 AM, <barry@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I am looking to start using RTTY and PSK. Rather than select RTTY and PSK software and then try to integrate that with ACLOG for logging I though it might be better to ask others what software they recommend based on past experience.
Any advice appreciated.

73, Barry GM5BDX

Larry Banks

N7YG’s Digital Engine into Scott’s CQ WPX software (via the API) works very well.  (Scott’s CQ WPX software is “real” contest software.)  I also have the CQ WPX app interfaced to ACLog (also via the API) so that I am informed if a new DXCC entity comes up, in which case I can spend more time trying to get the Q.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 10:38

[...]

Hi Wes,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I have developed an application program interface (API) that enables any developer who wishes to interface with my software to do so, including MMTTY, should the developers choose.

My software already interfaces with all of these programs:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q50

Coding for an API takes time. While I have been told that my API has been among the easiest to code for, other developers have understandably suggested that I might add code for their API, instead of them coding for mine.

One of the great benefits of writing real, contest specific applications, is that they are super easy to use, all set up and ready to go, right out of the box. The downside, however, is that adding API code to connect to another's application via their API and then retrofitting and testing the code into more than 100 N3FJP software programs is not realistic. Additionally, as the logging application, my software is typically operating in response to an action in the other app, so it makes the most sense for that app to utilize the features in my API as it initiates events.

Given these circumstances, it is simply far easier for other developers to interface with my software using my API, than it would be for me to code and retrofit 100+ programs. For these reasons, if you would like to see a program interface with mine, please write the developer of the program you would like to interface with N3FJP Software and encourage them to take advantage of the easily implemented API code that I've documented here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/api.html

In the mean time, please enjoy any of the growing list of programs whose developers have already interfaced with N3FJP Software!

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q50

You will find good options to choose from at the link above.  N7YG Digital Engine is particularly easy to interface with my software.

Enjoy!

73, Scott,

[...]

Try using HRD….works great with N3FJP API check ticked

[...]

W5IO

I just took some time yesterday to download the up coming cq ww rtty contest log and connect it to fldigi. Now if been a MMTTY user forever, but as a new AClog user I figured I might as well see how well Fldigi and AClog work. Though it look longer than needed to set up Fldigi due to limitations of the manual, after I got  a handle on it and set up my contest macros everything fell into place. Did some testing and had a couple of QSOs. If a long time MMTTY user, I don't see this new combination of AClog and Fldigi to be inferior. It's a little different but still comes down to clicking macros.
We'll see how well it all works soon. How to work y'all in the contest.
73
W5IO
Maury

[...]

N4FWD

fldigi and ACLog work well together under Linux. If you wish to do keyboarding with fldigi, simply click on the TX macro, type your heart away and finish with clicking on the RX macro.

N4FWD

And the F10 and F11 keys could be used as well.