Topics

Rig will not interface with Kenwood TS-590SG

Doug MacArthur

Hi,
Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590 group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple. I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
73
Doug VA3PSI

John Miller

Did you restart after running the rcp software or at least go in to
task manager and make sure the rcp software is shut down and not
running in the background? I find 90% of the time with issues like
this that's all it is, I was doing ft-8, I ran the 590 software,
something else that uses that port and when I shut it down it didn't
release the port so a restart will fix it or it's running in the
background so I need to shut it down in task manager. I have the
ts-590s, not g but I'd guess that could be the same, I've seen it with
other radios in the past too and usually a system restart or just
shutting the program down in task manager fixes it. I suppose you
could get around that with vertual comm ports then the programs might
not conflict so much but I've never gone to that extreme.

On 3/5/21, Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no connection
to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it works perfectly to
control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590 group, re setup, but still
no success. I don't understand why this wont work, there are only a few
settings and it appears to be simple. I am blind and using JAWS screen
reader.
73
Doug VA3PSI

Doug MacArthur

I'm using the Kenwood virtual comport driver. The acl did not work before I ran the arcp.

[...]

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry you've run into trouble. We've had nothing but good reports with this rig running our software so not sure what could be causing the issue.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

On 3/5/21, Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
> Hi,
> Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no
> connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it
> works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590
> group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this
> wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple.
> I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
> 73
> Doug VA3PSI

Lou WA5LOU

Doug -

I realize you are blind and use JAWS, a program I am familiar with because some years back I worked at the Blind Rehab Center in West Haven VA Med Center.

You should be able to navigate through most of the N3FJP website.  I am not sure if you have done that.  So, below is what I found at:  http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

Note - Kenwood rigs have two options and most will work with either selection, though I recommend Kenwood2. The settings listed below are the ones users just happened to send in. The first setting, Kenwood, always reads the VFO specified (FA; reads VFO A and FB; reads VFO B). Kenwood2 always reads the active VFO. Kenwood2 also sometimes returns a mode when the first setting does not.

Kenwood TS 590
Rig Name = Kenwood2
Read Frequency Command = IF;
Read Mode Command =
Convert To Hex = False
Baud Rate = 9600 (some users report 115200)
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 1
Data Bits = 8
Power Option = RTS
Please note that for the Kenwood 590, users have reported it is necessary to change the rig's default baud rate as one user detailed here on the Users group. In short, he writes "I now set everything to 38.4 – the 2 menu settings that I didn’t know existed (61 and 62) as well as the device manager for the bridge and the software, and waalaa! It works like advertised!" That said, another 590 user reported that his 590 worked fine at 9600 baud. Also, you can enter any baud rate you like by clicking the Other button.

I hope this helps.  I know you probably know this, but I will mention it anyway, just in case:  Please Remember the Baud Rate, Parity, Stop Bits, and Power Option must be exact in order for it to work.  Also ensure you have nothing else using the same Com Port.

Let us know how you make out.  Recheck all settings to ensure they are correct.

73 and Be Safe!

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
Hi,
Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590 group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple. I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
73
Doug VA3PSI

Lou WA5LOU

Try using Com 3.

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
I'm using the Kenwood virtual comport driver. The acl did not work before I ran the arcp.

Did you restart after running the rcp software or at least go in to task manager and make sure the rcp software is shut down and not running in the background? I find 90% of the time with issues like this that's all it is, I was doing ft-8, I ran the 590 software, something else that uses that port and when I shut it down it didn't release the port so a restart will fix it or it's running in the background so I need to shut it down in task manager. I have the ts-590s, not g but I'd guess that could be the same, I've seen it with other radios in the past too and usually a system restart or just shutting the program down in task manager fixes it. I suppose you could get around that with vertual comm ports then the programs might not conflict so much but I've never gone to that extreme.

On 3/5/21, Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
> Hi,
> Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no
> connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it
> works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590
> group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this
> wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple.
> I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
> 73
> Doug VA3PSI

Doug MacArthur

Com 3 in use and could not use it.

Com 4 reports “Silicom Labs ….” Com 4 not in use. Should com4 be Silicom Labs?

Doug

I'm using the Kenwood virtual comport driver. The acl did not work before I ran the arcp.

Did you restart after running the rcp software or at least go in to task manager and make sure the rcp software is shut down and not running in the background? I find 90% of the time with issues like this that's all it is, I was doing ft-8, I ran the 590 software, something else that uses that port and when I shut it down it didn't release the port so a restart will fix it or it's running in the background so I need to shut it down in task manager. I have the ts-590s, not g but I'd guess that could be the same, I've seen it with other radios in the past too and usually a system restart or just shutting the program down in task manager fixes it. I suppose you could get around that with vertual comm ports then the programs might not conflict so much but I've never gone to that extreme.

On 3/5/21, Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
> Hi,
> Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no
> connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it
> works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590
> group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this
> wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple.
> I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
> 73
> Doug VA3PSI

Lou WA5LOU

What are you using that is a  Silicom Labs device?

Also, what is using Com 3.  Is it the Kenwood ARCP?  If so, you need to clear it.

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 12:36 PM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:

Com 3 in use and could not use it.

Com 4 reports “Silicom Labs ….” Com 4 not in use. Should com4 be Silicom Labs?

Doug

I'm using the Kenwood virtual comport driver. The acl did not work before I ran the arcp.

Did you restart after running the rcp software or at least go in to task manager and make sure the rcp software is shut down and not running in the background? I find 90% of the time with issues like this that's all it is, I was doing ft-8, I ran the 590 software, something else that uses that port and when I shut it down it didn't release the port so a restart will fix it or it's running in the background so I need to shut it down in task manager. I have the ts-590s, not g but I'd guess that could be the same, I've seen it with other radios in the past too and usually a system restart or just shutting the program down in task manager fixes it. I suppose you could get around that with vertual comm ports then the programs might not conflict so much but I've never gone to that extreme.

On 3/5/21, Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
> Hi,
> Repeatedly confirmed COM Port, matching baud rates, etc. Still no
> connection to radio. I have run the Kenwood ARCP remote software, it
> works perfectly to control the rig. Have worked with the Kenwood 590
> group, re setup, but still no success. I don't understand why this
> wont work, there are only a few settings and it appears to be simple.
> I am blind and using JAWS screen reader.
> 73
> Doug VA3PSI

Doug MacArthur

Hi Lou
Success!!!  we dont know what happened what we did to get it working  we didnt make any changes it just started to work  i restarted the computer and it still works  hopefully that will continue

thanks to all the great support from the group.
73 Doug

Lou WA5LOU

GREAT. Doug!  I am happy for you.  I would be curious to know what com port it is running in.  But, FANTASTIC! Now, ENJOY!

73 AND BE SAFE!

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:
Hi Lou
Success!!!  we dont know what happened what we did to get it working  we didnt make any changes it just started to work  i restarted the computer and it still works  hopefully that will continue

thanks to all the great support from the group.
73 Doug

Doug MacArthur

Hi

Well, I could’nt leave well enough alone. I was working with the 590SG on another thing and reset the radio. Well, of course, not my ACL dosen’t work.

My bad

Well will fix it somehow.

73

Doug

GREAT. Doug!  I am happy for you.  I would be curious to know what com port it is running in.  But, FANTASTIC! Now, ENJOY!

73 AND BE SAFE!

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:

Hi Lou
Success!!!  we dont know what happened what we did to get it working  we didnt make any changes it just started to work  i restarted the computer and it still works  hopefully that will continue

thanks to all the great support from the group.
73 Doug

Lou WA5LOU

Just reset-up your ACL and verify the computer and ACL settings match and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you make out.

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 3:29 PM Doug MacArthur <dcmacarthur@...> wrote:

[...]

W5DET

Doug,
My shack computer changes the active comm ports every now and again when I go to use it.  I use one port for ACLog's rig interface and another for my Winkeyer.  It is my only M$Windows computer so I cannot easily go to another machine.  The other four run various flavors of Linux.

The changing of comm ports is a deficiency in the M$Windows boot sequence (Win7, in my case).  I frequently have to go into the Rig Interface setup and reselect the port(s) because they've been changed.  It isn't a big deal once you're aware what is going on.

FWIW, I have been using Scott's nifty logging programs and rig interface for many years, first with a TS-850, then A TS-870, and now TS-590SG.  They have all been rock solid performers for my uses.

Welcome to the wonderful world of N3FJP Ham Software.

73, Doug Thompson, W5DET

Doug MacArthur

hi.  success again  hope this lasts  all i did was change to a different usb port on my computer.  i was plugged into a powered usb hub  now plugged into a usb 3.0 hub on my computer  thanks to all who gave me advise
73
Doug in Ottawa

David Latour

Silicon Labs is the Kenwood driver. Your radio is on com4

also, after changing baud on the radio it is necessary to cycle the PS off/on to store it.
--
David VE4DL

Doug MacArthur

Hi

No problem with ACL now just changed the usb port

73

Doug

Silicon Labs is the Kenwood driver. Your radio is on com4

also, after changing baud on the radio it is necessary to cycle the PS off/on to store it.
--
David VE4DL

Lou WA5LOU

GREAT, Doug!  It is amazing all the stuff we experience as we go along in our GREAT Ham Radios.

73 and Be Safe!

Lou WA5LOU