Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

Ray Day N6HE

Hi all,

Been a happy ACL user since forever. Still am!

Bought a bit ago a new Icom 7300 as a travel radio (love it!) and can’t get ACL to read Freq or Mode from the 7300.

My ACL default commands under SETTINGS / RIG INTERFACE / SELECT RIG for “Icom” shows as FREQ: FE FE 64 E0 03 FD and MODE: FE FE 64 E0 03 04. No Joy. From the 7300 manual (all this Icom CI-V info is new to me as it’s my first Icom HF rig, I think I see to use a data string of 03 03 05 1C 03 which doesn’t work.

Anybody out there interfacing the Icom 7300 with ACL? Might you share the FREQ and MODE data strings with me?

Note: For my microKEYER II rig-computer interface, I use the definition for the Icom 7410 (for which I don’t have a manual). As Plan B, any Icom 7410 users care to share their 7410 FREQ and MODE data strings?

Thanks as always,

Ray N6HE

Tom Ellis <k5tee@...>

Ray,

In the boxes of “FREQ: and  MODE:” change the number 64 to 94.

Make sure the baud rate that you choose in ACLog matches the baud rate in the 7300.

Also, make sure that the right COM port is selected.

Tom

K5TEE

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@... [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@...]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 8:12 AM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

Hi all,

Bought a bit ago a new Icom 7300 as a travel radio (love it!) and can’t get ACL to read Freq or Mode from the 7300.

My ACL default commands under SETTINGS / RIG INTERFACE / SELECT RIG for “Icom” shows as FREQ: FE FE 64 E0 03 FD and MODE: FE FE 64 E0 03 04. No Joy. From the 7300 manual (all this Icom CI-V info is new to me as it’s my first Icom HF rig, I think I see to use a data string of 03 03 05 1C 03 which doesn’t work.

Anybody out there interfacing the Icom 7300 with ACL? Might you share the FREQ and MODE data strings with me?

Note: For my microKEYER II rig-computer interface, I use the definition for the Icom 7410 (for which I don’t have a manual). As Plan B, any Icom 7410 users care to share their 7410 FREQ and MODE data strings?

Thanks as always,

Ray N6HE

Tom Ellis <k5tee@...>

Ray,

In  the “FREQ: and MODE:” boxes, change the 64 to 94.

Make sure that the Baud rate in ACLog and the 7300 are the same.

Also, make sure the ACLog sees the correct COM port for the 7300.

Tom

K5TEE

From: N3FJP_Software_Users@... [mailto:N3FJP_Software_Users@...]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 8:12 AM
To: N3FJP_Software_Users@...
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

Hi all,

Thanks as always,

Ray N6HE

rhclinton

I have also purchased an IC-7300 and share Ray's enthusiasm for it.  To celebrate, I decided to upgrade
ACL to 5.6.  The upgrade went smoothly but I have run into difficulty with the rig interface.  I have the correct device address (94) and have selected 19.2 bps, which is the only one that works.  I have the correct COM port selected.  When I start the test from the rig interface screen  I can see hex data being returned from the 7300 but no values show in the frequency or mode fields, nor is this information sent to the main form.  I am able to send frequency and mode from the interface screen to the rig, however, so obviously there is communication.

Suggestions?

Bob  G0BUX

Scott Davis

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Don't forget to change the rig ID to that of your radio in the string.  I don't have a 7300 myself, but you'll find the successful settings other 7300 users have sent along here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

Congratulations on the new rig!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJP_Software_Users
Sent: Tue, Sep 6, 2016 5:04 pm
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Re: Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

I have also purchased an IC-7300 and share Ray's enthusiasm for it.  To celebrate, I decided to upgrade
ACL to 5.6.  The upgrade went smoothly but I have run into difficulty with the rig interface.  I have the correct device address (94) and have selected 19.2 bps, which is the only one that works.  I have the correct COM port selected.  When I start the test from the rig interface screen  I can see hex data being returned from the 7300 but no values show in the frequency or mode fields, nor is this information sent to the main form.  I am able to send frequency and mode from the interface screen to the rig, however, so obviously there is communication.

Suggestions?

Bob  G0BUX

rhclinton

Yes I have changed the hex address to 94 in both command strings.  I assume that if I had not done so
I wouldn't be able to send commands to the rig.  As I am seeing hex data returned from the rig but no frequency or mode data displayed on either the interface window or the main form that I must have
something set incorrectly in some other area.

I am running ACL on a Windows 10 machine - in fact, have tried it on two different machines with the
same result.

Robert G0BUX

Scott Davis

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your follow up.  Aside from the rig ID and various baud rate settings, all Icoms are identical with regards to reading the frequency and mode.  Once configured properly, you should be seeing the frequency and mode appear in the two black text boxes.  If your settings are correct in the software, it is possible your USB > Serial Adapter, rig interface hardware and / or the rig itself is not set or working properly.

Here are the settings for my Icom 756 Pro II and what you should expect to see if all is well:

If you continue to have trouble, hopefully someone more familiar with the 7300 specifically will chime in with some suggestions for you.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Tue, Sep 6, 2016 5:31 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Re: Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

Yes I have changed the hex address to 94 in both command strings.  I assume that if I had not done so
I wouldn't be able to send commands to the rig.  As I am seeing hex data returned from the rig but no frequency or mode data displayed on either the interface window or the main form that I must have
something set incorrectly in some other area.

I am running ACL on a Windows 10 machine - in fact, have tried it on two different machines with the
same result.

Robert G0BUX

rhclinton

I have done further testing with the following results:

If I run a test from Rig Setup I can see the hex data being returned.  If I change frequency or mode on the rig and then decode the returned hex data it accurately reflects what is on the rig.  However the frequency and mode boxes on the Rig Setup screen remain dark.  I added Frequency Display to the main form and it also stays dark.  The problem is apparently not with the rig-to-ACL interface so I assume that I have something set improperly that is preventing the display of frequency and mode.  I have gone through everything on the Setup list but can't find what I am missing.

Robert  G0BUX

Scott Davis

Hi All,

If any 7300 users who are interfacing successfully have any more specific suggestions for Robert, they would be most welcome.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Sep 8, 2016 10:09 am
Subject: [N3FJP_Software_Users] Re: Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

I have done further testing with the following results:

If I run a test from Rig Setup I can see the hex data being returned.  If I change frequency or mode on the rig and then decode the returned hex data it accurately reflects what is on the rig.  However the frequency and mode boxes on the Rig Setup screen remain dark.  I added Frequency Display to the main form and it also stays dark.  The problem is apparently not with the rig-to-ACL interface so I assume that I have something set improperly that is preventing the display of frequency and mode.  I have gone through everything on the Setup list but can't find what I am missing.

Robert  G0BUX

rhclinton

The answer is:  Menu - Set - Connectors - CI-V - CI-V USB Port - Link to Remote

Robert  G0BUX

rhclinton

Further information:

I captured the converted hex information, first with the USB and Remote linked in the 7300,  then
with them unlinked.

Rig Name = Icom7300 Linked
Read Frequency Command = FE FE 94 E0 03 FD
Buffer Converted from HEX = FE FE 94 E0 03 FD FE FE E0 94 03 60 39 26 14 00 FD

Rig Name = Icom7300 Un-Linked
Read Frequency Command = FE FE 94 E0 03 FD
Buffer Converted from HEX = FE FE E0 94 03 60 39 26 14 00 FD

The only difference appears to be that in the linked state the 7300 returns the original read frequency
command. 

Robert   G0BUX/W0BUX

Larry

The answer to what question?

Larry

On 11/18/2016 8:54 PM, k2hat@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] wrote:

What is the final answer? :(

73 K2HAT

Larry

Larry

On 11/18/2016 8:54 PM, k2hat@... [N3FJP_Software_Users] wrote:

What is the final answer? :(

73 K2HAT

Don Munson

Another new IC 7300 user here.  Actually my first ICOM that I have connected to a computer.  Using the answers above I have the rig talking to N3FJP software and tracking, changing frequencies etc.  BUT when I connect the radio I lose my computer speakers, if I unplug I get my speakers back.  I'm lost.  Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated since this is my main desktop computer and crawling underneath the desk to disconnect/connect the rig is just a chore and defeats having both up for quick DX snags.

Don, W4GFQ

Fred K2DFC

What type of cable are you using? I had a similar problem with an old cable which contained an old chipset. Getting a newer FTDI cable solved the problem. Also the over length can also be a problem. I tried a 10' cable for another Icom. Would not work. But a six foot did.
Fred K2DFC

David Rounds

What version of Windows?
If Windows 10, open the sound settings (right-click on speaker icon on right end of task bar then select "Open Sound Settings". Select the desired output device in the displayed selection box.  You may have to the radio' virtual speaker port here when using the radio, otherwise select your usual speaker port.
David
AK9F

On 2/26/2019 7:19 PM, Don Munson wrote:
Another new IC 7300 user here.  Actually my first ICOM that I have connected to a computer.  Using the answers above I have the rig talking to N3FJP software and tracking, changing frequencies etc.  BUT when I connect the radio I lose my computer speakers, if I unplug I get my speakers back.  I'm lost.  Any help or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated since this is my main desktop computer and crawling underneath the desk to disconnect/connect the rig is just a chore and defeats having both up for quick DX snags.

Don, W4GFQ

Don Munson

I'm using a USB cable from my cable box. I'll see if I can find a second one. Worse comes to worse guess I'll have to go get a new cable.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Fred K2DFC via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 10:43 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Rig Interface with Icom 7300 (7410?)

What type of cable are you using? I had a similar problem with an old cable which contained an old chipset. Getting a newer FTDI cable solved the problem. Also the over length can also be a problem. I tried a 10' cable for another Icom. Would not work. But a six foot did.
Fred K2DFC

Don Munson

Win 7.

I have tried to “reset” the speakers to the second option (can’t remember it now) but the only one with sounds is the USB Audio CODEC option.  And that does not come out the speakers.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Rounds
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 11:51 PM

What version of Windows?
If Windows 10, open the sound settings (right-click on speaker icon on right end of task bar then select "Open Sound Settings". Select the desired output device in the displayed selection box.  You may have to the radio' virtual speaker port here when using the radio, otherwise select your usual speaker port.
David
AK9F

Don, W4GFQ

AI3KS

Don,

Windows may have made the 7300 the default device. Have you checked?  1. Right click the speaker icon. 2. Open sound settings. 3. On the right side, open the Sound Control Panel. Make sure the default recording and playback devices are the one built in to the pc. I run windows 10 and often times after an update I have to reset things.

Hope that helps.

Steve, AI3KS

On 19/02/27 07:45, Don Munson wrote:

Win 7.

I have tried to “reset” the speakers to the second option (can’t remember it now) but the only one with sounds is the USB Audio CODEC option.  And that does not come out the speakers.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of David Rounds

What version of Windows?
David
AK9F

Don, W4GFQ

Don Munson

Steve (and all) thanks for the input.

I had actually solved this just a little big ago.  Combination of a “good” USB cable and resetting the audio and I am up and running.  Have FLDIGI interfaced with ACL copying and You Tube playing video with sound.  So all is well.  I KNEW it was something easy but never figured I’d have to swap the USB cable.

Thanks to all for the input,

Don, W4GFQ

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of AI3KS
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:55 AM

Don,

Windows may have made the 7300 the default device. Have you checked?  1. Right click the speaker icon. 2. Open sound settings. 3. On the right side, open the Sound Control Panel. Make sure the default recording and playback devices are the one built in to the pc. I run windows 10 and often times after an update I have to reset things.

Hope that helps.

Steve, AI3KS

On 19/02/27 07:45, Don Munson wrote:

Win 7.

What version of Windows?
David
AK9F

Don, W4GFQ