Topics

Recovery of Contacts

Larry Queipo <lpqueipo@...>

My computer recently crashed.  Stupidly, I didn't build an external backup file.  However, I do have access to the hard drive from the old computer.  I have downloaded the logger file, but I don't know how to recover my contacts from the old hard drive to put them back into the logger.  What file am I looking for to recover my contacts?

Thanks,
Larry Queipo
W2GJF

Scott Davis

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Unless you clicked Save As and gave the file a new name, you are looking for LogData.mdb.  It will reside in a path something like:

C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\My Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\

My computer recently crashed.  Stupidly, I didn't build an external backup file.  However, I do have access to the hard drive from the old computer.  I have downloaded the logger file, but I don't know how to recover my contacts from the old hard drive to put them back into the logger.  What file am I looking for to recover my contacts?

Thanks,
Larry Queipo
W2GJF

Larry Queipo <lpqueipo@...>

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I found the mdb file, but there's nothing in it.  Can I assume that I've lost my contacts?

Larry Queipo
W2GJF

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Unless you clicked Save As and gave the file a new name, you are looking for LogData.mdb.  It will reside in a path something like:

C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\My Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\

My computer recently crashed.  Stupidly, I didn't build an external backup file.  However, I do have access to the hard drive from the old computer.  I have downloaded the logger file, but I don't know how to recover my contacts from the old hard drive to put them back into the logger.  What file am I looking for to recover my contacts?

Thanks,
Larry Queipo
W2GJF

Lou Everett, Sr.

Were you uploading to LoTW or E-ask?  If so you can download your log from one of them.

Lou WA5LOU

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 8:48 PM Larry Queipo <lpqueipo@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Shorney

Just to be clear, you are looking at LogData.mdb from the OLD hard drive? Is is a Microsoft database file, you won't be able to open it with anything but ACLog or MS Access (or compatible). Unless Windows or your old HDD totally blew chunks (not unheard of) it should still be there and intact.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:44:48 -0400

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your e-mail. Unless you clicked Save As and gave the file a
new name, you are looking for LogData.mdb. It will reside in a path
something like:

C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\My Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\

*http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>

*Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
software since 1997.*

1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
and respect*...

My computer recently crashed. Stupidly, I didn't build an external backup
file. However, I do have access to the hard drive from the old computer.
I have downloaded the logger file, but I don't know how to recover my
contacts from the old hard drive to put them back into the logger. What
file am I looking for to recover my contacts?

Thanks,
Larry Queipo
W2GJF

Scott Davis

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your follow up.  If your backup files are intact (AC Log creates automatic backups by default), or you have been uploading to LoTW, you can restore that way as well:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q57

Just to be clear, you are looking at LogData.mdb from the OLD hard drive? Is is a Microsoft database file, you won't be able to open it with anything but ACLog or MS Access (or compatible). Unless Windows or your old HDD totally blew chunks (not unheard of) it should still be there and intact.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:44:48 -0400
"Larry Queipo" <lpqueipo@...> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I found the mdb file, but there's nothing in
> it.  Can I assume that I've lost my contacts?
>
> Larry Queipo
> W2GJF
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  Unless you clicked Save As and gave the file a
> > new name, you are looking for LogData.mdb.  It will reside in a path
> > something like:
> >
> > C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\My Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, Scott
> > N3FJP
> > *http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
> >
> > *Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> > software since 1997.*
> >
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
> > asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
> > that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
> > and respect*...

Larry Queipo <lpqueipo@...>

Thanks everyone for the information.  I was able to restore all of my contacts through LoTW.

73's,
Larry Queipo
W2GJF

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 7:26 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Larry,

Thanks for your follow up.  If your backup files are intact (AC Log creates automatic backups by default), or you have been uploading to LoTW, you can restore that way as well:

Just to be clear, you are looking at LogData.mdb from the OLD hard drive? Is is a Microsoft database file, you won't be able to open it with anything but ACLog or MS Access (or compatible). Unless Windows or your old HDD totally blew chunks (not unheard of) it should still be there and intact.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 20:44:48 -0400
"Larry Queipo" <lpqueipo@...> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply.  I found the mdb file, but there's nothing in
> it.  Can I assume that I've lost my contacts?
>
> Larry Queipo
> W2GJF
>
> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:13 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Larry,
> >
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  Unless you clicked Save As and gave the file a
> > new name, you are looking for LogData.mdb.  It will reside in a path
> > something like:
> >
> > C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\My Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, Scott
> > N3FJP
> > *http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
> >
> > *Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> > software since 1997.*
> >
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
> > asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
> > that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
> > and respect*...

W5DET

Jim et al.,
There is a very useful freeware utility for M$Windows named MDPPLUS which enables viewing, editing, copying and more, of Micro$oft *.mdb files.  I have been using it off and on since the 1990's and recommend it without reservation.