Topics

Question about synced data from LoTW and the Overwrite Existing Data option

Paul AC9O

Hi Scott,

I have been researching an issue I have with syncing ACLog data with LoTW statistics for WAS, VUCC, etc. I recently noticed that States Worked in ACLog does not match LoTW WAS info.

Most of my cases are with rovers for VUCC satellite operations. They post via LoTW with information about where they are at the time, including grid, state, etc. This all looks find on LoTW.

However, the state was not overwritten when the QSL was updated. The Overwrite Existing Data flag was NOT checked on my system.

You do post a warning about the possibility of problems overwriting data, but if one wants to keep LoTW and ACLog in sync, wouldn't you always want to? Otherwise the New and Need Conf features in ACLog will not be accurate.

I am considering re-downloading all my data from LoTW after checking the flag. Just wanted to get your thoughts about that.

Thanks for a great program, and your time and consideration.

73
Paul, AC9O

Jim Shorney

Where this cab bite you is if someone re-uploads their whole log, either accidentally or through ignorance of how things work, with a different location. It will show up as a new confirmation received but have incorrect data. It happens more than you probably think.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 03 Dec 2020 20:06:41 -0800
"Paul AC9O" <pphiliphome@gmail.com> wrote:

You do post a warning about the possibility of problems overwriting data, but if one wants to keep LoTW and ACLog in sync, wouldn't you always want to? Otherwise the New and Need Conf features in ACLog will not be accurate.

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Jim is correct, you will remedy some errors while introducing many others.  Guys move, work remote, work county lines, etc., while not correcting their TQSL.  Sooner or later they will reupload their whole log, either as an oversight or they simply don't understand the ramifications.

"Paul AC9O" <pphiliphome@...> wrote:

> You do post a warning about the possibility of problems overwriting data, but if one wants to keep LoTW and ACLog in sync, wouldn't you always want to? Otherwise the New and Need Conf features in ACLog will not be accurate.

Paul AC9O

Thanks for the information. It's helpful to fully understand what may happen.

I have done some experimenting, checking the box and not back dating. Now, each time I download, it says Update or Updated and Confirmed on all QSO/QSL every time. I checked the data on LoTW and it appears those fields match in both places. Why would it say "Updated" when there's nothing to update?

73
Paul, AC9O

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your follow up.  Any time a QSO is found in your log and marked as confirmed, the Updated text occurs, even if the QSO was already marked in a previous download.