Topics

Problems with interfacing my TS590s with N3FJP software

Douglas Frame <douglasframe1@...>

I use a Digikeyer II sound card/router and have three programs connected to it - DXLab, N1MM+ and WSJTX. They are all interfaced with my Kenwood TS590s transceiver and all work fine.

I set up a new comport for CAT control for N3FJP and set the other parameters as suggested on the rig interface help page for the TS590s. When I do the test it tells me it’s polling and awaiting response. Nothing further happens. It doesn’t tell me it is connected or if not, what is not working. I have tried two different baud rates, the one suggested in the help file (9600) and the one I use with the other three programs (57600). Neither one works.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Doug VE3JDF

James Goff

Doug:  Just confirming that your commands for Rig Interface for the TS-590 are correct: Command to Read Frequency is FA;  The Command to Read Mode is MD; being certain to include semi-colons.

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 11:48 AM Douglas Frame <douglasframe1@...> wrote:
I use a Digikeyer II sound card/router and have three programs connected to it - DXLab, N1MM+ and WSJTX. They are all interfaced with my Kenwood TS590s transceiver and all work fine.

I set up a new comport for CAT control for N3FJP and set the other parameters as suggested on the rig interface help page for the TS590s. When I do the test it tells me it’s polling and awaiting response. Nothing further happens. It doesn’t tell me it is connected or if not, what is not working. I have tried two different baud rates, the one suggested in the help file (9600) and the one I use with the other three programs (57600). Neither one works.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Doug VE3JDF

Douglas Frame <douglasframe1@...>

Thanks for your reply, Jim. I used the command settings you gave me and tried the Test again. It doesn’t complete the test but continues to show “unprocessed data returned”
I checked the baud rate in 61 & 62 of the menu for the 590 and it’s correct. When I run the test, the Digikeyer shows that an attempt to make a connection is underway but doesn’t complete it. I see from your QRZ page that you have a 590. If you’ve used it with this program would you tell me what parameters you set to make the connection?

Thanks & 73, Doug VE3JDF

On Jan 22, 2021, at 12:50 PM, James Goff <goffmaine@...> wrote:

[...]

Larry Banks

Hi Doug,

When you change the baud rate, are you rebooting the 590?

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

I use a Digikeyer II sound card/router and have three programs connected to it - DXLab, N1MM+ and WSJTX. They are all interfaced with my Kenwood TS590s transceiver and all work fine.

I set up a new comport for CAT control for N3FJP and set the other parameters as suggested on the rig interface help page for the TS590s. When I do the test it tells me it’s polling and awaiting response. Nothing further happens. It doesn’t tell me it is connected or if not, what is not working. I have tried two different baud rates, the one suggested in the help file (9600) and the one I use with the other three programs (57600) Neither one works.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,

Doug VE3JDF

James Goff

Hi Doug: I wish I could be more helpful, but I do not use any other software/hardware but the N3FJP logging program tied to VE7CC's CCUSER program for DX spotting. Sorry, but good luck. I've been impressed over the years not only with the performance of Scott's software but the incredibly fast, accurate, and friendly tech support.  I'm betting your issue(s) will be resolved.

73, W1JHJG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 3:29 PM Douglas Frame <douglasframe1@...> wrote:
[...]

Scott Davis

Hi Doug,

I wish I had some words of advice myself, but I don't have that hardware set up here, so aside from referring you to the working settings other 590 users have sent along here, I'm afraid I don't have any additional insights.

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

Hopefully someone else will chime in with additional suggestions for you.

[...]

Doug:  The earlier suggestion that rebooting the 590 may solve the problem rings a bell (way back) of issues I once had with Rig Interface. I wish I had thought of it earlier!
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim & Scott: I’ve tried just about everything I can think of. When I do the poling test I can get it to show the band and mode the radio is set for but when I try to change band or mode in the program nothing happens. I’m hoping someone who has my setup will come forward with some other things to try.
Thanks for your help.
73, Doug VE3JDF

On Jan 22, 2021, at 5:26 PM, James Goff <goffmaine@...> wrote:

Doug:  The earlier suggestion that rebooting the 590 may solve the problem rings a bell (way back) of issues I once had with Rig Interface. I wish I had thought of it earlier!
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 4:35 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Doug,

I wish I had some words of advice myself, but I don't have that hardware set up here, so aside from referring you to the working settings other 590 users have sent along here, I'm afraid I don't have any additional insights.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with additional suggestions for you.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

[...]

Thanks for your follow up.  Which of the three methods you you using to change bands / modes?

-  Clicking on a DX Spot

- Typing the frequency in the call field

-  Pressing Ctrl F and selecting a band (or typing in a frequency) from the Change Frequency form?

[...]

barry@...

My TS-590 has been working fine with AC Log for 10 months but has suddenly stopped working. Coincidentally I installed N1MM+ last week so I am thinking that has done something to the connection. N1MM+ works fine with the rig, as does ARCP-590. It looks like you are experiencing a similar issue to me. I am continuing to look for a solution.

Thanks,

Barry GM5BDX

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

Com ports and baud rates.  Plus, possible conflict when trying to run more than one at the same time.  Cannot share ports.

Lou WA5LOU

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM <barry@...> wrote:

My TS-590 has been working fine with AC Log for 10 months but has suddenly stopped working. Coincidentally I installed N1MM+ last week so I am thinking that has done something to the connection. N1MM+ works fine with the rig, as does ARCP-590. It looks like you are experiencing a similar issue to me. I am continuing to look for a solution.

Thanks,

Barry GM5BDX

Steven Smith

Roger that, that's why I run them one at a time.

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 3:38:50 PM EST, Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...> wrote:

Com ports and baud rates.  Plus, possible conflict when trying to run more than one at the same time.  Cannot share ports.

Lou WA5LOU

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM <barry@...> wrote:

My TS-590 has been working fine with AC Log for 10 months but has suddenly stopped working. Coincidentally I installed N1MM+ last week so I am thinking that has done something to the connection. N1MM+ works fine with the rig, as does ARCP-590. It looks like you are experiencing a similar issue to me. I am continuing to look for a solution.

Thanks,

Barry GM5BDX

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

We don't have a 590 here, but please see the special note for the 590 on this page here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

Perhaps installation of the other software reset something.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Roger that, that's why I run them one at a time.

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 3:38:50 PM EST, Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...> wrote:

Com ports and baud rates.  Plus, possible conflict when trying to run more than one at the same time.  Cannot share ports.

Lou WA5LOU

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 3:23 PM <barry@...> wrote:
My TS-590 has been working fine with AC Log for 10 months but has suddenly stopped working. Coincidentally I installed N1MM+ last week so I am thinking that has done something to the connection. N1MM+ works fine with the rig, as does ARCP-590. It looks like you are experiencing a similar issue to me. I am continuing to look for a solution.

Thanks,

Barry GM5BDX

James Goff

I had no problem setting up Rig Interface with my TS-590 using the following:  Select Rig=Kenwood, Com Port=3, Baud Rate=9.6, Parity=None, Data Bits=8. Stop Bits=1, Power Connection=RTS, Mode Determined By=Rig, Command to Read Frequency=FA;, Command to Read Mode=MD;
 I hope this is helpful.
73, W1JHG

-Jim

James H. Goff