Topics

Please Test DX Spotting Reconnect in AC Log 6.7.1 Beta!

Scott Davis

Hi Gang,

I've been working on enhancing the DX Spotting reconnect functionality in my software.  In addition to automatically attempting a reconnect with your currently selected DX Spotting Telnet host, if the reconnect attempt fails, it will then try the next host in your list.

This is a difficult function to test, as aside from unplugging and replugging the LAN cable to simulate a disconnect, it is tough to simulate all the scenarios causing a disconnection.  I think the best way to test this is for as many of us to run AC Log, as much as possible and see what occurs if / when the Telnet site you happen to be connected to goes down.

If you would like to help test this feature, would you please uninstall your current version of AC Log from Windows Control Panel and then install this version:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

It will say Beta 6.7.1 in the title bar.

Then click Settings > DX Spotting > Configure and check the Auto Reconnect option here:

Capture.JPG

If you have the ability to simulate a connection loss, awesome.  Otherwise, just let AC Log roll and see what happens.  There will be a text to speech voice letting you know if there is a reconnect attempt or a new site is tried.  You will also see text on the DX Spotting set up form of the attempts.

If you leave the PC, make a note of the host you are connected to and see if it is still the same site when you return.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Please let me know how you make out!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Patrick Moonen

Hi Scott,

Installed the beta today and after 4h disconnected from Dx Cluster. 
There was a voice message and an automatic reconnection was made with Dc Cluster.

73 Pat - ON3CQ

Scott Davis

Thanks for the great report Pat!  Please keep me updated!  :)

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Nov 21, 2020 7:59 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test DX Spotting Reconnect in AC Log 6.7.1 Beta!

Hi Scott,

Installed the beta today and after 4h disconnected from Dx Cluster. 
There was a voice message and an automatic reconnection was made with Dc Cluster.

73 Pat - ON3CQ

Kevin Gray

Scott,

I just “Heard” a re-connect from my computer saying it is trying to re-connect to the Next cluster in my list.

This is great that it now tries to connect to the next one, But, “How do I turn OFF the Voice announcement” ?

I do not have Any announcements turned on, nor do I need them.

The Reconnect part works great, and is a good added feature.

I just don’t need it to “Tell” me it is doing this, especially when I am in a QSO and have the mic keyed.

THX for the great software, and continuous improvements. (KIAZEN)

73 de Kevin , N9VPV

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 4:08 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test DX Spotting Reconnect in AC Log 6.7.1 Beta!

Hi Gang,

I've been working on enhancing the DX Spotting reconnect functionality in my software.  In addition to automatically attempting a reconnect with your currently selected DX Spotting Telnet host, if the reconnect attempt fails, it will then try the next host in your list.

This is a difficult function to test, as aside from unplugging and replugging the LAN cable to simulate a disconnect, it is tough to simulate all the scenarios causing a disconnection.  I think the best way to test this is for as many of us to run AC Log, as much as possible and see what occurs if / when the Telnet site you happen to be connected to goes down.

If you would like to help test this feature, would you please uninstall your current version of AC Log from Windows Control Panel and then install this version:

Then click Settings > DX Spotting > Configure and check the Auto Reconnect option here:

Capture.JPG

If you have the ability to simulate a connection loss, awesome.  Otherwise, just let AC Log roll and see what happens.  There will be a text to speech voice letting you know if there is a reconnect attempt or a new site is tried.  You will also see text on the DX Spotting set up form of the attempts.

If you leave the PC, make a note of the host you are connected to and see if it is still the same site when you return.

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the good report.  The voice is just for testing, as we might not notice otherwise.  It will be gone once out of beta.

In the mean time, if the voice notification is driving you crazy, you can just install 6.7 from the web site again.

Thanks again for testing!  :)

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Sat, Nov 21, 2020 10:38 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test DX Spotting Reconnect in AC Log 6.7.1 Beta!

Scott,
I just “Heard” a re-connect from my computer saying it is trying to re-connect to the Next cluster in my list.
This is great that it now tries to connect to the next one, But, “How do I turn OFF the Voice announcement” ?
I do not have Any announcements turned on, nor do I need them.

The Reconnect part works great, and is a good added feature.
I just don’t need it to “Tell” me it is doing this, especially when I am in a QSO and have the mic keyed.

THX for the great software, and continuous improvements. (KIAZEN)

73 de Kevin , N9VPV

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2020 4:08 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test DX Spotting Reconnect in AC Log 6.7.1 Beta!

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Patrick Moonen

Hi Scott,

Today day 2 of testing Beta i have 2 disconnected from dx cluster. I did notice that it takes the next dx cluster my " Open image & bio page on Call tab " go off.

73 Pat - ON3CQ

Patrick Moonen

Op zo 22 nov. 2020 16:50 schreef Patrick Moonen via groups.io <onl4008=gmail.com@groups.io>:

Hi Scott,

Today day 2 of testing Beta i have 2 disconnected from dx cluster. I did notice that it takes the next dx cluster my " Open image & bio page on Call tab " go off.

73 Pat - ON3CQ

Scott Davis

Thanks for the report Pat!

Those two sections of code don't live anywhere near each other, so the Open Image deselection may have been initiated some other way.

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Sun, Nov 22, 2020 10:49 am

Hi Scott,

73 Pat - ON3CQ

K4GM-George

Scott,

You have done an excellent job on the auto reconnect feature.   Today I installed the beta and left the PC all afternoon until a few minutes ago (7 hrs).   When I returned my preferred cluster was still there and ACLog was still downloading spots.   For the last month or so I have been plagued by quick disconnect of the cluster, usually after only a couple of hours.   Thanks!    I have not had a disconnect yet so can't speak to that, but I will do so if and when one occurs.

73, George K4GM

On 11/19/2020 5:07 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Gang,

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for the good report George!

It has been difficult to test here as I rarely lose connection, so I really appreciate the reports from you all.

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Nov 23, 2020 8:13 pm

Scott,

You have done an excellent job on the auto reconnect feature.   Today I installed the beta and left the PC all afternoon until a few minutes ago (7 hrs).   When I returned my preferred cluster was still there and ACLog was still downloading spots.   For the last month or so I have been plagued by quick disconnect of the cluster, usually after only a couple of hours.   Thanks!    I have not had a disconnect yet so can't speak to that, but I will do so if and when one occurs.

73, George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Dave C

Scott,

The 6.7.1 Beta was installed here a couple days ago.  So far, there have been no disconnects that I'm aware of, but all is working smoothly.  Prior to installing the beta, I had the "3 Min Keep Alive" box checked because, without it,  spot reporting seemed to randomly stop.  After installing the beta, I left the box unchecked and have not noticed any problem.

Thanks for your great program!
Dave, K8WDA

Steven Weeks

Scott - the beta has been working perfectly for me too.  Previously the DX spotting stopped twice a day, 12 hours apart plus or minus a few minutes, and, on many days, another random stop or two.  The beta is successfully reconnecting every time (to the same site, not switching to another one).

This is a wonderful improvement.  It was just a nuisance to reconnect, not a big deal except for missing spots when I didn't notice that it had stopped, but not having to reconnect over and over is great.  Tinkering with the Windows registry, as previously suggested by others on this forum, had not solved the problem.

BTW, our club used the private website aggregation feature in the SSB contest.  This is another really neat feature of the software that many people probably don't know about; it was a lot of fun, although none of us is a heavy hitter in the national contest so we were not using it for serious team competition.  Now if people would just confirm on LoTW -- I get about 90% on FT8 and the much lower percentages on SSB, CW and RTTY are disappointing.  Not your fault since your software makes it so easy to upload!

73, Steve AA8SW

Scott Davis

Thanks for the great reports guys!

Steve, yes, we used the uploader aggregation feature here, too (we do every contest).  Most of our group were focused on the sweep, so our scores weren't huge, but it sure builds camaraderie and is a heck of a lot of fun.  The Club Score Processor in combination with our Discord text chat group (our virtual clubhouse) really keeps our club tight knit, going and growing!

http://www.n3fjp.com/clubscore.html

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Nov 24, 2020 10:16 am

Scott - the beta has been working perfectly for me too.  Previously the DX spotting stopped twice a day, 12 hours apart plus or minus a few minutes, and, on many days, another random stop or two.  The beta is successfully reconnecting every time (to the same site, not switching to another one).

This is a wonderful improvement.  It was just a nuisance to reconnect, not a big deal except for missing spots when I didn't notice that it had stopped, but not having to reconnect over and over is great.  Tinkering with the Windows registry, as previously suggested by others on this forum, had not solved the problem.

BTW, our club used the private website aggregation feature in the SSB contest.  This is another really neat feature of the software that many people probably don't know about; it was a lot of fun, although none of us is a heavy hitter in the national contest so we were not using it for serious team competition.  Now if people would just confirm on LoTW -- I get about 90% on FT8 and the much lower percentages on SSB, CW and RTTY are disappointing.  Not your fault since your software makes it so easy to upload!

73, Steve AA8SW

Dan Morris

Yeah Steve, I well know what you mean about LoTW and I am very, very tempted to just quit it and stick with eQSL.  In the last 5 or 6 years I think I maybe get one or two at the most eQSL’s from someone’s call I remember but did not work.  Some of those that I remember is where I tried calling them and did not get an answer and maybe they did come back to me but that, of course, does not constitute a QSL at all. Scott’s software is the very best and the support is impeccable.
I don’t use near what the program can do and I absolutely do not do rig control, just not my thing and way too many people I see on this list have too many problems, so I figure that is one less problem I need to deal with.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Nov 24, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Steven Weeks via groups.io <swweeks@...> wrote:

73, Steve AA8SW

K4GM-George

Hi Scott,

As a follow up to my previous email I did more testing.   Because of my business I have access to numerous wireless WIFI routers which connect wirelessly to cell towers.   I set up two other WIFI routers in addition to the one I normally use and switched from one to the other and so on  seriatim several times.  Each time I switched networks I heard the audio notification that ACLog was trying to reconnect to the cluster and each time it did successfully!!   Just thought I would confirm that the beta was working A-OK.   My cluster has not gone down yet but it may be overloaded and grind to a halt this weekend.   If I ever notice a re-connect to a second cluster I will advise.    I really appreciate this improvement.... in fact, one of my most appreciated.  

73, George K4GM

On 11/24/2020 7:22 AM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

It has been difficult to test here as I rarely lose connection, so I really appreciate the reports from you all.

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,

73, George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Awesome George, thanks loads for the great report!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Nov 24, 2020 11:09 pm

Hi Scott,

As a follow up to my previous email I did more testing.   Because of my business I have access to numerous wireless WIFI routers which connect wirelessly to cell towers.   I set up two other WIFI routers in addition to the one I normally use and switched from one to the other and so on  seriatim several times.  Each time I switched networks I heard the audio notification that ACLog was trying to reconnect to the cluster and each time it did successfully!!   Just thought I would confirm that the beta was working A-OK.   My cluster has not gone down yet but it may be overloaded and grind to a halt this weekend.   If I ever notice a re-connect to a second cluster I will advise.    I really appreciate this improvement.... in fact, one of my most appreciated.  

73, George K4GM

On 11/24/2020 7:22 AM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,

73, George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Dave C

Scott,

Following up, after installing the 6.7.1 Beta, on at least two occasions I have heard the announcement that a re-connect took place, apparently successfully.

Dave

K7GA

Have had Beta log going for a week. Up to now,  even though  spotting source I use is very robust,  it or my local network drops out for a few seconds quite often and I lose spotting until  I manually reset. With the Beta this has become moot and I am for the first time in ages have seamless spotting! My source has not dropped out for any length of time so cannot vouch for the transfer to a next source yet. I don’t care!  Your upgrade has fixed the instantaneous interrupt problem nicely. Well done!!
Geoff K7GA 

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Nov 24, 2020, at 05:22, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,

73, George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Awesome George, thanks so much for the great report!

Happy Thanksgiving!

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 25, 2020 11:40 am

Have had Beta log going for a week. Up to now,  even though  spotting source I use is very robust,  it or my local network drops out for a few seconds quite often and I lose spotting until  I manually reset. With the Beta this has become moot and I am for the first time in ages have seamless spotting! My source has not dropped out for any length of time so cannot vouch for the transfer to a next source yet. I don’t care!  Your upgrade has fixed the instantaneous interrupt problem nicely. Well done!!
Geoff K7GA 

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Nov 24, 2020, at 05:22, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott,

73, George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Gary E. Kohtala

Hi Scott,

I have beta 6.7.1 connected to my DX Cluster W7JD-1 in Radcliff, KY. So far everything appears
to be working well. Thanks for the opportunity to test.

Happy Thanksgiving.. Be safe..

de Gary, K7EK