Please Test ACLog BETA 6.9.2: WSJT Interface & 13 Colonies Support.

Scott Davis

Hi Gang,

If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:

Direct interface with WSJT.

From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.

We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!

My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.

From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.

You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!

Enjoy!

73, Scott (and Chris)
N3FJP & KB3KCN

K7GA

Installed and working perfectly!  ACLog logging directly from WSJTx!  Can’t wait to see what’s down the pike for ACLog. Huge upgrade feature!
73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Apr 16, 2021, at 14:54, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:

Direct interface with WSJT.

From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.

We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!

My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.

From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.

You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!

Enjoy!

73, Scott (and Chris)
N3FJP & KB3KCN

Awesome George, thanks so much for your good report, kind words and encouragement!  Chris and I really appreciate it!

Installed and working perfectly!  ACLog logging directly from WSJTx!  Can’t wait to see what’s down the pike for ACLog. Huge upgrade feature!
73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Apr 16, 2021, at 14:54, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:

Direct interface with WSJT.

From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.

We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!

My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.

From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.

You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!

Enjoy!

73, Scott (and Chris)
N3FJP & KB3KCN

K7GA

WSJT logging to ACLog directly (and actually faster than when having to use JTDX). But do miss the texting feature of JTDX, although few use it. But a great adjunct to an FT8/FT4 QSO - more fun and personal.

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Apr 16, 2021, at 14:54, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Gang,

If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:

Direct interface with WSJT.

From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.

We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!

My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.

From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.

You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!

Enjoy!

73, Scott (and Chris)
N3FJP & KB3KCN

Jim Shorney

I'm not exactly how this should be working. I normally run with WSJT-X on a Linux machine connected to DXLab SpotCollector running on a Windows box. This works very well for my needs. Have been unable to get ACL to talk to the Linux system.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 11:55:24 +0000 (UTC)
"Scott Davis via groups.io" <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Awesome George, thanks so much for your good report, kind words and encouragement!  Chris and I really appreciate it!

Enjoy!
73, ScottN3FJP
http://www.n3fjp.com

On Apr 16, 2021, at 14:54, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Gang,
If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:
Direct interface with WSJT.
From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.
We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!
My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.
From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.
You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):
http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!
Enjoy!
73, Scott (and Chris)N3FJP & KB3KCN
http://www.n3fjp.com

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to givethe reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Charlie - K5EY

WOW!!! Thanks Scott for doing the WSJT-X direct thing. I enabled the API and it auto detected WSJT-X multicast IP 239.255.0.0 Port 2237 without a hitch. Everything works perfectly, and it is really fast.
--
Charlie -- K5EY

Scott Davis

Hi Charlie.

Thanks so much for your kind words and good report on our new direct interface with WSJT, especially regarding your good experience with the multicast option!  That's really great to hear!

WOW!!! Thanks Scott for doing the WSJT-X direct thing. I enabled the API and it auto detected WSJT-X multicast IP 239.255.0.0 Port 2237 without a hitch. Everything works perfectly, and it is really fast.
--
Charlie -- K5EY

Dave wo2x

I have upgraded to version 6.9 and it works perfectly. I still use JTAlert 2.50.0 because JTAlert adds a lot of nice features and I have not had issues logging to any version of N3FJP software.

Kudos to N3FJP software for a wonderful logging program. Easy to use and fills my needs.

73
Dave wo2x

Sent from my waxed string and tin cans.

On Apr 17, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Charlie - K5EY <aggie61@...> wrote:

WOW!!! Thanks Scott for doing the WSJT-X direct thing. I enabled the API and it auto detected WSJT-X multicast IP 239.255.0.0 Port 2237 without a hitch. Everything works perfectly, and it is really fast.
--
Charlie -- K5EY

JoAnn Donaldson

Scott,
   Running ACLog on another computer. I set the address to the address and port of the computer that runs WSJT-X but when I click the Log Button the window comes up and when I click OK I see nothing on ACLog.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 11:29:02 AM CDT, David De Coons <rocketnj@...> wrote:

I have upgraded to version 6.9 and it works perfectly. I still use JTAlert 2.50.0 because JTAlert adds a lot of nice features and I have not had issues logging to any version of N3FJP software.

Kudos to N3FJP software for a wonderful logging program. Easy to use and fills my needs.

73
Dave wo2x

Sent from my waxed string and tin cans.

On Apr 17, 2021, at 12:24 PM, Charlie - K5EY <aggie61@...> wrote:

WOW!!! Thanks Scott for doing the WSJT-X direct thing. I enabled the API and it auto detected WSJT-X multicast IP 239.255.0.0 Port 2237 without a hitch. Everything works perfectly, and it is really fast.
--
Charlie -- K5EY

Scott Davis

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  After you click the Listen check box, you should see the Msg Rcvd flash green and the counter reset every few seconds (usually not more than 20 seconds):

Capture.JPG

If you are seeing the above, AC Log should receive WSJT's message to log as well.  If not, AC Log is not receiving the WSJT broadcast.

Thanks for testing!

[...]

Gary E. Kohtala

Unless I missed something, I believe the only down side to no longer using JTAlert is the fact that you will no longer
be able to post received stations directly to hamspots.net. JTAlert is the conduit for that. If you've so configured WSJTX, received stations will be posted to the significantly slower pskreporter which may eventually or may not reach hamspots.net. Just pondering..

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

--

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 1:50:38 PM EDT, Scott Davis via groups.io <snkdavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim...N3MVX

Scott,

WSJT is working great with ACLOG. Thank You.  The only thing I noted is that the power is not sent to the log despite having manually entered it into the logging screen. It would be nice if the power, once entered, would be retained and sent to the log unless manually changed.

Thanks,   Jim    N3MVX

Scott Davis

Thanks for the good report Jim!

Are you referring to the power value that you are entering in WSJT's form when you click Log QSO?

WSJT is working great with ACLOG. Thank You.  The only thing I noted is that the power is not sent to the log despite having manually entered it into the logging screen. It would be nice if the power, once entered, would be retained and sent to the log unless manually changed.

Thanks,   Jim    N3MVX

Jim Shorney

OK, god it working now. Apparently I can't tell a 2 from a 3 with insufficient coffee. Receiving messages from the Linux machine. That's fun. They are unhappy about sharing the UDP port though. As I expected. Ever see two cats fight? ACL or DXLab, that's my choice. I'll stick with my DXLab highlighting of needs for now but will be keenly watching further developments. The irony is that ACL and DXLab are two of my most important excuses for keeping a Windows box....

Thanks Scott!

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:54:22 +0000 (UTC)
"Scott Davis via groups.io" <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Gang,
If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:
Direct interface with WSJT.
From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.
We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!
My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.

Basic Support for 13 Colonies.
From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.
You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):
http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let us know how you make out!
Enjoy!
73, Scott (and Chris)N3FJP & KB3KCN
http://www.n3fjp.com

JoAnn Donaldson

What does I have to do on the WSJTX side to enable the transmission.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 5:20:13 PM CDT, Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

OK, god it working now. Apparently I can't tell a 2 from a 3 with insufficient coffee. Receiving messages from the Linux machine. That's fun. They are unhappy about sharing the UDP port though. As I expected. Ever see two cats fight? ACL or DXLab, that's my choice. I'll stick with my DXLab highlighting of needs for now but will be keenly watching further developments. The irony is that ACL and DXLab are two of my most important excuses for keeping a Windows box....

Thanks Scott!

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:54:22 +0000 (UTC)
"Scott Davis via groups.io" <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:
> Direct interface with WSJT.
> From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.
> We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!
> My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.
>
> Basic Support for 13 Colonies.
> From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.
> You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):
> http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe
>
> Please let us know how you make out!
> Enjoy!
> 73, Scott (and Chris)N3FJP & KB3KCN
> http://www.n3fjp.com
>
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

JoAnn Donaldson

Ok, I think I got it working. On the WSJTX/JTDX side you have to
  Set UDP Server to either 127.0.0.1 Port 2237 or the IP Address of where ACLog is on.
  Also make sure that the TCP Server is set to either 127.0.0.1 Port 1100 or the IP Address of where ACLog is on.
  Also turn off Enable sending to secondary UDP server.
  If you want to Auto Log contacts then Click "Enable automatic logging of QSO".

After I did these setting, the new feature started working. I like how it sends the Contact data and displays on the screen and updates the time and Send/Rec data when logged.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 6:41:26 PM CDT, JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io <joannplano2005@...> wrote:

What does I have to do on the WSJTX side to enable the transmission.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 5:20:13 PM CDT, Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

OK, god it working now. Apparently I can't tell a 2 from a 3 with insufficient coffee. Receiving messages from the Linux machine. That's fun. They are unhappy about sharing the UDP port though. As I expected. Ever see two cats fight? ACL or DXLab, that's my choice. I'll stick with my DXLab highlighting of needs for now but will be keenly watching further developments. The irony is that ACL and DXLab are two of my most important excuses for keeping a Windows box....

Thanks Scott!

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 21:54:22 +0000 (UTC)
"Scott Davis via groups.io" <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
> If you would please test Amateur Contact Log 6.9.2 BETA, we would really appreciate it.  The enhancements to test are:
> Direct interface with WSJT.
> From the menu options click Settings > Application Program Interface and check the check box to listen for WSJT.  Then go ahead and call CQ or answer some CQs on FT8 and see if the software behaves as you would expect.
> We understand that right now, most folks would prefer an intermediary program like JTAlert or GridTracker to display needed entities, but please give the direct connection a try.  Once we get the basic communication working, we have some exciting ideas in the brainstorming stage for the future!
> My son Chris, KB3KCN, had a major role in getting us this far along.
>
> Basic Support for 13 Colonies.
> From the menu options click View > 13 Colonies.  A form will appear with the calls by band, which will change color when worked.  Once out of beta, the defined period will begin July 1, but it will work now in beta.  Of course, you will want to start a different log for entering test QSOs.
> You can install AC Log 6.9.2 from this link here (no need to uninstall your current version):
> http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe
>
> Please let us know how you make out!
> Enjoy!
> 73, Scott (and Chris)N3FJP & KB3KCN
> http://www.n3fjp.com
>
> Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.
> 1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Jim...N3MVX

Scott,

I was entering the power value into ACLOG before hitting the log QSO button in WSJT. I never thought to enter it into the WSJT form before logging QSO. This  works and there is an option there that I never noticed for retaining the entered value.

Thanks again Scott. This is  a really nice improvement to your already great logging software.

Jim....NMVX

JoAnn Donaldson

If you have "Prompt me to Log OSQ" Checked, you can enter your power and there is a "Retain" Checkbox that you can click. That way it will send your power level to ACLog.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Saturday, April 17, 2021, 7:07:42 PM CDT, Jim...N3MVX <n3mvx@...> wrote:

Scott,

I was entering the power value into ACLOG before hitting the log QSO button in WSJT. I never thought to enter it into the WSJT form before logging QSO. This  works and there is an option there that I never noticed for retaining the entered value.

Thanks again Scott. This is  a really nice improvement to your already great logging software.

Jim....NMVX

tracypaul@...

Hello Scott and Chris

Will this functionality also work for JTDX in the future. Many guys prefer JTDX over WSJT because JTDX simply decodes better.

Cheers
Paul - vk4ma

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail.  We've barely scratched the surface of what we hope to accomplish with WSJT and to be honest, we are not familiar with the protocols JTDX might use, but we will sure keep it in mind for down the road.

Thanks for the suggestion!