Please Test AC Log Beta 6.9.4!

Scott Davis

Hi Gang,

Chris, KB3KCN and I have been continuing to augment the WSJT > AC Log direct interface.  While we have lots more ideas in the works, that will take more time to develop, we would really appreciate it if you could take a look and test out this interim step:

In WSJT, please click File > Settings > Reporting and check the check box that says Accept UDP Requests:

Capture.JPG

If all goes well, stations that are duplicates (by specific digital mode) and band, regardless of confirmation status, will be displayed with a Red background.  Stations where you need the Grid, State or Country in which they reside will be Green:

Capture2.JPG

I've done very little on 6 meters FT8, so I need everything!

You can adjust the items to color by clicking in AC Log > Settings > Application Program Interface > Configure (for WSJT).

And in the very cool event of one feature leading to another, in developing the state / callsign database with WSJT interface in mind, we also realized we could parley that functionality on the main form for DX Spots (both for display and confirmation alerts).  To enable, just click Settings > DX Spotting > Lookup USA States.  You will see the state appended to USA for DX spots:

Capture3.JPG

Please give these new features a really good test and let us know how you make out.  You can download AC Log 6.9.4 Beta from this link here (no need to uninstall the previous version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Thanks in advance for your testing!

73, Scott, N3FJP & Chris, KB3KCN

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Bobby Chandler

Hi Scott,

Looking good here. Only difference I see is my unconfirmed background is black, but I don't use that anyway.

May have to do with the colors I have selected in WSJTx.

Bobby/N4AU

--
n4au@outlook.com
n4au@arrl.net

Bobby Chandler

OOPS! Sorry Scott. It was the angle I was seeing on the screen. Shows as your example. Bad eyes I guess!

Bobby/N4AU

--
n4au@outlook.com
n4au@arrl.net

Scott Davis

Thanks for the good report Bobby!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 7:49 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test AC Log Beta 6.9.4!

OOPS! Sorry Scott. It was the angle I was seeing on the screen. Shows as
your example. Bad eyes I guess!

Bobby/N4AU

--

K4GM-George

Hi Scott and Chris,

6.9.4 shows the GREEN for an unworked station and the RED for a worked station.   However, it sometimes takes a while for the RED to show after working a station which may be related to the size of my log (about 80K QSOs)    Also once it does show it disappears after a period of time and returns to white.   I had a couple of stations worked this morning turned to RED, went back to doing some work and returned to WHITE call signs which were RED before I left to work.   This is in no way a complaint....just a report of what I see.   Maybe this is how it should work.  I like the improvement.  

George K4GM

On 5/2/2021 4:47 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Gang,

Chris, KB3KCN and I have been continuing to augment the WSJT > AC Log direct interface.  While we have lots more ideas in the works, that will take more time to develop, we would really appreciate it if you could take a look and test out this interim step:

In WSJT, please click File > Settings > Reporting and check the check box that says Accept UDP Requests:

If all goes well, stations that are duplicates (by specific digital mode) and band, regardless of confirmation status, will be displayed with a Red background.  Stations where you need the Grid, State or Country in which they reside will be Green:

You can adjust the items to color by clicking in AC Log > Settings > Application Program Interface > Configure (for WSJT).

And in the very cool event of one feature leading to another, in developing the state / callsign database with WSJT interface in mind, we also realized we could parley that functionality on the main form for DX Spots (both for display and confirmation alerts).  To enable, just click Settings > DX Spotting > Lookup USA States.  You will see the state appended to USA for DX spots:

Please give these new features a really good test and let us know how you make out.  You can download AC Log 6.9.4 Beta from this link here (no need to uninstall the previous version):

Scott Davis

Thanks George!  From what we can tell, WSJT doesn't change the color until the next decode arrives (even though we have already sent the command to do so), so I think that may be what is happening.  

I'm not sure about the disappearing aspect, but we are still tweaking some things for efficiency here.  

Thanks again for the report!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi Scott and Chris,

6.9.4 shows the GREEN for an unworked station and the RED for a worked station.   However, it sometimes takes a while for the RED to show after working a station which may be related to the size of my log (about 80K QSOs)    Also once it does show it disappears after a period of time and returns to white.   I had a couple of stations worked this morning turned to RED, went back to doing some work and returned to WHITE call signs which were RED before I left to work.   This is in no way a complaint....just a report of what I see.   Maybe this is how it should work.  I like the improvement.  

George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Chuck K4RGN

This isn't a feature that I want, but I recognize that others might like it. In general I welcome the idea of more closely integrating ACL with WSJT-X. I hope, though, that we get selective control over which integration features will be activated in our individual configurations.

73 Chuck K4RGN

Scott Davis

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your thoughts.  It is already completely optional in the beta:

Capture.JPG

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 3:00 pm

This isn't a feature that I want, but I recognize that others might like it. In general I welcome the idea of more closely integrating ACL with WSJT-X. I hope, though, that we get selective control over which integration features will be activated in our individual configurations.

73 Chuck K4RGN

David Galletly

All seems to be working as advertised with the latest beta version which is a major step forward. Setup here is using win4icom and com0com to link with ACL and WSJT-X to handle com ports. Under the new setup, is com sharing still an issue?

Also, if this is almost ready for prime time, will the feature be added to appropriate contest programs? Just trying to think ahead a few weeks to Field Day and how the networked machines will need to be set up. Would be a lot simpler with the new method, if it is implemented in time for that.

Asking for a friend...

Dave KM2O

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Chuck K4RGN <K4rgn@...> wrote:

73 Chuck K4RGN

Scott Davis

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your great report!  With only WSJT and AC Log (or the contest software), com port management should be simplified, as only WSJT needs access to the rig and updates AC Log.

Yes, Lord willing, it is our goal to have release versions of AC Log and Field Day out by the end of May with WSJT direct interface support.  With the different Field Day exchange, the Field Day software has a bit more work yet, but hopefully a beta of that is coming soon!

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 3:17 pm

All seems to be working as advertised with the latest beta version which is a major step forward. Setup here is using win4icom and com0com to link with ACL and WSJT-X to handle com ports. Under the new setup, is com sharing still an issue?

Also, if this is almost ready for prime time, will the feature be added to appropriate contest programs? Just trying to think ahead a few weeks to Field Day and how the networked machines will need to be set up. Would be a lot simpler with the new method, if it is implemented in time for that.

Asking for a friend...

Dave KM2O

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 3:00 PM Chuck K4RGN <K4rgn@...> wrote:

73 Chuck K4RGN

K4GM-George

Scott...

Thanks for the quick answer.    I am really putting 6.9.4 through its paces.    A call showing up as light blue (new call as per default color scheme)  is NOT highlighted in GREEN although I have never worked him.   He is calling CQ.

George K4GM

On 5/3/2021 2:19 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Thanks George!  From what we can tell, WSJT doesn't change the color until the next decode arrives (even though we have already sent the command to do so), so I think that may be what is happening.  

I'm not sure about the disappearing aspect, but we are still tweaking some things for efficiency here.  

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Scott and Chris,

George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Scott Davis

Hi George,

The green is based on the country, grid on entity, not the individual call sign.  Only the red is call sign specific.

Thanks again for your testing!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, May 3, 2021 6:40 pm

Scott...

Thanks for the quick answer.    I am really putting 6.9.4 through its paces.    A call showing up as light blue (new call as per default color scheme)  is NOT highlighted in GREEN although I have never worked him.   He is calling CQ.

George K4GM

On 5/3/2021 2:19 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Scott and Chris,

George K4GM

Hi Gang,

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Ray,WD5DHK

I have tried 6.9.4 with WSJT-x as well as JTDX. It is working nicely. 
I have been using Gridtracker as an in between to log to ACLog. 
It has one feature that may keep me using it instead of the direct connection. 
It provides real time uploads to QRZ's logbook.
Thanks for the great program
WD5DHK
Ray

Scott Davis

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your good report.  AC Log will provide real time uploads to LoTW, which you can link to QRZ:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q85

Thanks again!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, May 4, 2021 10:15 am

I have tried 6.9.4 with WSJT-x as well as JTDX. It is working nicely. 
I have been using Gridtracker as an in between to log to ACLog. 
It has one feature that may keep me using it instead of the direct connection. 
It provides real time uploads to QRZ's logbook.
Thanks for the great program
WD5DHK
Ray

Jim...N3MVX

Working fine here Scott. Nice feature.

Jim....N3MVX

Dave

How do I get this to work???
I have the accept UDP requests checked.
I have the rig interface set to none in ACL and WSJT has the com port.

I am looking at this thread but do not see much.
I running 6.9.4.1

Dave KC3AM

On 05/02/2021 16:47, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Gang,

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Dave

Everyone,

I did get the two programs to talk.
I get the highlighted calls as seen in Capture2.JPG.
ACL does populate with Call,Date, Time, Band, Mode.
At this point there is no signal report populated and I did not know that would happen automatically. I found out later that it would.
Looking at Capture.JPG when I checked "Accept UDP requests" I saw that "Prompt me to log QSO" was not checked so I unchecked my box.
This caused me to lose six contacts in the WSJT log. I had to manually log them into ACL.
Learning curve steep for me at the moment.

Dave KC3AM

On 05/02/2021 16:47, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Gang,

--
73, Dave KC3AM Hams should be seen as well as heard

Ray,WD5DHK

Unfortunately that solution does not provide real time uploads but only manually initiated ones. 
WD5DHK Ray

K4GM-George

Jim,

I reported this problem to Scott last night and received the following info this morning which works but I have not had the guts to close and re-open ACLog yet!!   :

"Please try clicking Settings > Reset Columns to Default > DX Spots Widths. "

73, George K4GM

On 5/6/2021 3:45 PM, Jim...N3MVX wrote:
Scott,

Not sure if this is related to the newest version but I am now experiencing the following. 
  • I have the DX cluster displaying at the bottom of the logging screen.
  • All of the columns have shrunk down to where none of the titles are readable.
  • I resize the columns by dragging them to a size where all of the info fits. 
  • When I close the program and reopen it the columns have shrunk back down.
I did not have this problem before the update to the newest version of the software.

Jim.....N3MVX

Jim Polewczak

Hi all

I find 6.9.4.1 working as designed.  I have 2 little picky observations which I hope could be addressed before the final version is released.

• I found that the red and green colors to be a bit harsh on my eyes.  Could they be either be made a more pastel shade or allow the user to pick the pallet they prefer.
  • Could you implement an option to resend the UPD packets on?  If find it useful to populate the WSJT-S Aggregator, which automatically sends the spots on to the DXMAPS site.

Neither of these is a deal breaker, but personally the packet resending would make it much more useful to me.

Thanks,

Jim KG2H