Please Test AC Log 6.8.6 Beta - Saving Users Customized Entry Fields!

Scott Davis

Hi Gang,

Another enhancement I have been working on is the ability to save your customized data entry field locations.  That way, you can save one configuration for POTA, one for home, etc.  I think I have it working well and I would really appreciate it if you would give it a try!

Now, when you click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed and check the check box to configure, you will be prompted for a file name.  Then go ahead and customize as you like.

To load a previously saved configuration, either from the main form, click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed > Load Configuration, or click the command button on the configuration form to do so.

You can install 6.8.6 Beta from this link here (no need to uninstall the previous version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let me know how you make out!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Bill Grover

Sounds like just the thing our POTA users will like!  Thanks for all the work you put into this all of your various logs are great to use and appreciated.

Bill Grover, N3EYF

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...>
Sent: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 12:06:19 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io <n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io>
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test AC Log 6.8.6 Beta - Saving Users Customized Entry Fields!

Hi Gang,

Another enhancement I have been working on is the ability to save your customized data entry field locations.  That way, you can save one configuration for POTA, one for home, etc.  I think I have it working well and I would really appreciate it if you would give it a try!

Now, when you click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed and check the check box to configure, you will be prompted for a file name.  Then go ahead and customize as you like.

To load a previously saved configuration, either from the main form, click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed > Load Configuration, or click the command button on the configuration form to do so.

You can install 6.8.6 Beta from this link here (no need to uninstall the previous version):

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let me know how you make out!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

VE9VIC...Rino

Scott if I want to customize a new log for cqdx marathon as an example, should I start a new log with a new database file ? since we can
have many configurations, POTA, IOTA, etc... It would be nice to have the name that goes with the log at the top, above search,,,award,,,elog, etc,,
in big letter and if possible in colour.
--
TS590SG, 100 Watts, off center fed dipole.

73, Rino
VE9VIC

Scott Davis

Hi Rino,

Thanks for your thoughts!

Your data entry configuration is independent of your log file name, so while you may want to start a new log file for POTA activations, etc., it is by no means required.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Thu, Mar 11, 2021 8:25 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test AC Log 6.8.6 Beta - Saving Users Customized Entry Fields!

Scott if I want to customize a new log for cqdx marathon as an example, should I start a new log with a new database file ? since we can
have many configurations, POTA, IOTA, etc... It would be nice to have the name that goes with the log at the top, above search,,,award,,,elog, etc,,
--

73, Rino
VE9VIC

K9PLX Chuck

Hi Scott.

When I click the settings tab the only thing that pops out is the "load configuration" tab. When I click it I'm taken to the installed ACLog folder, looking for an EFL file, but the folder is empty. Did I miss something?

Chuck K9PLX
----------
I used to jog 5 miles every day, but then I found a shortcut.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Rino,

Your data entry configuration is independent of your log file name, so while you may want to start a new log file for POTA activations, etc., it is by no means required.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Please Test AC Log 6.8.6 Beta - Saving Users Customized Entry Fields!

--

73, Rino
VE9VIC

Scott Davis

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, first click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed to save a customized settings file.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Mar 11, 2021 9:30 am

Hi Scott.

When I click the settings tab the only thing that pops out is the "load configuration" tab. When I click it I'm taken to the installed ACLog folder, looking for an EFL file, but the folder is empty. Did I miss something?

Chuck K9PLX
----------
I used to jog 5 miles every day, but then I found a shortcut.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 8:12 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Rino,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

--

73, Rino
VE9VIC

AI3KS

Scott,

Went directly from the original 6.8 to 6.8.6.

Going into the Edit Fields option the only thing there is Load. Checked the box to Enable positioning and get the option to save. Saved. When going to Load, there is no EFL file in the AClog directory. Tried creating another of the same configuration with a different name, figuring that maybe if there is only one, it is treated as a default. Still no EFL file.

What did I miss?

Steve, AI3KS

Scott Davis

Hi Steve,

The sequence goes like this:

1.  Click the Check Box to enable repositioning.  You are then prompted to give the configuration you are creating a file name:

Capture.JPG

2.  Customize to your preference.

3.  You can now click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed > Load Settings to select any of your customized settings:

Capture2.JPG

You do actually have to move at least one control before the new file is actually created.  I will take a look at that.

73, Scott, N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Scott,

Going into the Edit Fields option the only thing there is Load. Checked the box to Enable positioning and get the option to save. Saved. When going to Load, there is no EFL file in the AClog directory. Tried creating another of the same configuration with a different name, figuring that maybe if there is only one, it is treated as a default. Still no EFL file.

What did I miss?

Steve, AI3KS

VE9VIC...Rino

work the very best here, I didn't have to but I created a log for dx marathon with the same configuration as my main log. So I can work station I need
for the cq dx marathon with the dx spot page telling me if I need them, then load the adif to my main log , I don't need to do this,
but it was fun to try.
--

73, Rino
VE9VIC

AI3KS

Scott,

Thanks. That did the trick.

Steve, AI3KS

On 21/03/11 10:49, Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Steve,

The sequence goes like this:

1.  Click the Check Box to enable repositioning.  You are then prompted to give the configuration you are creating a file name:

2.  Customize to your preference.

3.  You can now click Settings > Edit Fields Displayed > Load Settings to select any of your customized settings:

You do actually have to move at least one control before the new file is actually created.  I will take a look at that.

73, Scott, N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Mar 11, 2021 10:29 am

Scott,

What did I miss?

Steve, AI3KS

Rick Hall

Scott...
I know you responded to this, but it is definitely confusing.
Hover over 'Edit Fields Displayed, Position and Tab Order...'  and you get only one option:  a box with 'load configuration'.
It is not obvious that what is needed is a click on the 'Edit Fields...' text, and not on the 'load configuration' text.
Rick

Scott Davis

Thanks Rick, I've just added an additional sub menu item that also loads the configuration form, to hopefully clarify that.

Capture.JPG

Thanks again!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Thu, Mar 11, 2021 2:39 pm

Scott...
I know you responded to this, but it is definitely confusing.
Hover over 'Edit Fields Displayed, Position and Tab Order...'  and you get only one option:  a box with 'load configuration'.
It is not obvious that what is needed is a click on the 'Edit Fields...' text, and not on the 'load configuration' text.
Rick

nb7o

Hi Scott,  I may have found a minor bug.  I am running my log at a form size of 63 and that fits nicely on my large monitor with some other programs that are sized appropriately.

When I click on the settings - edit field display, position, and tab order I get the pop-up that tells me that I must resize back to 100% before changes may be made.  But the primary menu, with the new sub-menu of 'load configuration' does not drop out and it is hard to get a hold of the 'resize' message window behind it.

I too am only seeing a 'load configuration' option in the sub-menu and so I cannot change my current configuration to then create a new configuration.  When this new option is finalized will it also save the current form size?  if so that would be awesome.  Will we have to return our form size to 100% in the future?

seven three Kevin/NB7O

nb7o

Sorry Scott,  my mind got ahead of my fingers.  My last post should have said "I cannot save my current configuration to then create a new configuration.  I do not want to lose my current configuration before testing the config creation process.

seven three de Kevin/NB7O

Scott Davis

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Just click the Edit Fields Displayed option to edit or save your existing configuration.

Form size is set manually (and saved in a different settings file) from the fields displayed you are customizing.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Sun, Mar 14, 2021 1:56 am

Sorry Scott,  my mind got ahead of my fingers.  My last post should have said "I cannot save my current configuration to then create a new configuration.  I do not want to lose my current configuration before testing the config creation process.

seven three de Kevin/NB7O