Topics

Parks on the Air (POTA) logging

Ernest G. Wilson II

Hello Scott and Kimberly (and N3FJP logging fans worldwide)!

I'm relatively new to parks on the air activations for ham radio and I recently came across some issues pertaining to accurate park logging.

When submitting to official log book of the world and/or something like QRZ for example,
I would like callers to be in the log for calling into the actual park location and not my FCC ULS database listed home address on file.
This has forced me to do a bunch of hand edits to my logs:
Manually adding / editing the ADIF export and adding park specific data (based on the park I am set up in):
Example:
If I was at Auburn Valley State Park in Delaware, park K-4366 (all this data would be different for each park):
<MY_SIG_INFO:6>K-4366
<MY_GRIDSQUARE:6>FM29dt
<MY_LAT:9>39.812500
<MY_LON:10>-75.679700
<MY_CQ_ZONE:1>5
<MY_ITU_ZONE:1>8
<MY_DXCC:3>291
<MY_CITY:7>Yorklyn
<MY_CNTY:17>New Castle County
<MY_STATE:2>DE
<MY_POSTAL_CODE:5>19736
<MY_COUNTRY:3>USA

1.)
a.) First, each record needs to have the park I am activating;
b.) In the official log, need to use MY_SIG_INFO but it would be awesome if N3FJP software would display a friendly name like PARK
image.pnga

2.)
a.) It would be great if the F3FJP software would help us build (or import) a list of parks.
b.) Each time we activate a park, we may be at a different park somewhere in the world.
     We want our contacts to be logged for calling the park and not our home address.
     Each park location has specific details (during a single park activation, this info is usually the same for each record):
image.png

3.)
a.) Some park contacts are special "Park to Park" calls.
      In the official log, need to use SIG_INFO but it would be awesome if N3FJP software could display a friendly name like P2P
image.png

Tried editing the logger to make it park focused, so it  looks like this now;
image.png

Thank you in advance for even reading this!

Am I doing it wrong?
Or is there a POTA version of N3FJP logger?
How have other folks solved this?

73
Ernie
W3GUY
(formerly W3TCP - I recently changed my vanity callsign to align with my wife's call: W3GRL - We are now "girl and guy" - W3 GRL and GUY hi hi)

Thank you,

Ernest G. Wilson II
Email: ErnestGWilsonII@...

Casper Fagerberg

This is something I would be very interested in as well. I have been trying to update the fields for SIG_INFO etc but there is now some new requirements for another field.

I would pay for a POTA version or even as said before a version aimed for NCS Stations.

Cheers,

Casper Fagerberg,  KO4DQI

Member Long Island CW Club

SKCC# 23088

[...]

Scott Davis

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I've not been active with POTA myself and AC Log was not designed with POTA in mind, but you will find the configuration settings other POTA folks use here:

[...]

That was the video I already followed.
That does not address the issues reported in my email.

Thank you,

Ernest G. Wilson II
Email: ErnestGWilsonII@...

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Jim Shorney

There is an active POTA help group on Slack, as well as plenty of help available in the Facebook group. Those are better places to ask how to do POTA in ACL. What you are asking here is venturing into the area of a another contest specific program and Scott has already detailed the logistics involved there.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Ernie,

Thanks for your e-mail. I've not been active with POTA myself and AC Log
was not designed with POTA in mind, but you will find the configuration
settings other POTA folks use here:

How do I configure AC Log for proper ADIF output for WWFF Parks on the Air
(POTA)? <http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107>

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107

*http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>

*Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
software since 1997.*

1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
and respect*...

[...]

[image: image.png]a

*2.)*
*a.)* It would be great if the F3FJP software would help us build (or
import) a list of parks.
*b.)* Each time we activate a park, we may be at a different park
somewhere in the world.
We want our contacts to be logged for calling the park and *not our
home address*.
*Each park location has specific details* (during a single park
activation, this info is usually the same for each record):
[image: image.png]

[...]

Rick Harkins WØYGH

Ernie, you're over-thinking it.  I've been using ACL since I started POTA in March, and have logged over 4,000 POTA contacts. My main screen looks a lot like yours:
ACL1.jpg

I capture the grid, the state, and the county of the park and include them with the log, and I'm in the minority.  I'm confident that this will provide the data that 99.99% of your contacts would ever want. Unless there's a new contest I've not heard about, nobody gives a darn what zip code, lat/lon, or city you are working from. 99% of your contacts are only interested in one thing: your park. The county hunters and grid hunters don't hang out on pota.us looking for contacts.

Scott gives us eight custom fields to capture what we want. You need two for the SIG data. That leaves you six more to capture the data that you feel is most important.
ACL2.jpg

Enjoy the park and the contacts you make. Don't get all wrapped up in unnecessary logging complexity. POTA logging is as simple as it gets.

Have fun out there!
73,
Rick W0YGH

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 8:42 AM Ernest G. Wilson II <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:
[...]

Brent LeFevre

Best POTA / ACLog interface instructions can he found here

Also, as previously mentioned, check out the FaceBook POTA group. There is a ton of great information and assistance there.

73 de W4CHF

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 9:42 AM Ernest G. Wilson II <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:
[...]

That should be all you need at this point, unless you do a multi-op, club call, or special event call. In that case you will want to add STATION_CALLSIGN and OPERATOR to cover the callsign requirements.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/
73

-Jim
NU0C

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 13:04:15 -0500
Rick Harkins WØYGH <@RickHarkins> wrote:

Ernie, you're over-thinking it. I've been using ACL since I started POTA
in March, and have logged over 4,000 POTA contacts. My main screen looks a
lot like yours:
[image: ACL1.jpg]

Ernest G. Wilson II

Jim thank you very much for responding.
Please do not misunderstand, I'm not seeking help on how to log.
I am actively engaged in those same groups that you mentioned and I appreciate those links thank you.
I am pointing out a shortcoming in logging in general when it comes to POTA.
I did indeed perform research prior to posting and I very carefully detailed the issues.
At this point no one has addressed the specific issues that I pointed out.
The email to this group was in hopes that the logger could address the very specific needs outlined.
Thanks for your response and consideration.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 12:38 Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

There is an active POTA help group on Slack, as well as plenty of help available in the Facebook group. Those are better places to ask how to do POTA in ACL. What you are asking here is venturing into the area of a another contest specific program and Scott has already detailed the logistics involved there.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:00:47 -0400
"Ernest G. Wilson II" <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:

> Scott,
>
> That was the video I already followed.
> That does not address the issues reported in my email.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Ernest G. Wilson II
> Email: ErnestGWilsonII@...
>

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ernie,
> >
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  I've not been active with POTA myself and AC Log
> > was not designed with POTA in mind, but you will find the configuration
> > settings other POTA folks use here:
> >
> > How do I configure AC Log for proper ADIF output for WWFF Parks on the Air
> > (POTA)? <http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107>
> >
> > http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, Scott
> > N3FJP
> > *http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
> >
> > *Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> > software since 1997.*
> >
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
> > asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
> > that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
> > and respect*...

Tom Suggs

I have activated from almost 400 different parks with around 13,000 contacts.  When I upload to LotW, I create a new station location there and then export from AClog to the specific park I have created.

Its my understanding that the hunters then get credit for the correct state, grid and county since I enter that into LotW for each entity.  I don’t make any changes in my log but no one else sees that info.

Tom N4MTE

On Oct 24, 2020, at 2:10 PM, Ernest G. Wilson II <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:

Jim thank you very much for responding.
Please do not misunderstand, I'm not seeking help on how to log.
I am actively engaged in those same groups that you mentioned and I appreciate those links thank you.
I am pointing out a shortcoming in logging in general when it comes to POTA.
I did indeed perform research prior to posting and I very carefully detailed the issues.
At this point no one has addressed the specific issues that I pointed out.
The email to this group was in hopes that the logger could address the very specific needs outlined.
Thanks for your response and consideration.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 12:38 Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

There is an active POTA help group on Slack, as well as plenty of help available in the Facebook group. Those are better places to ask how to do POTA in ACL. What you are asking here is venturing into the area of a another contest specific program and Scott has already detailed the logistics involved there.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:00:47 -0400
"Ernest G. Wilson II" <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:

> Scott,
>
> That was the video I already followed.
> That does not address the issues reported in my email.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Ernest G. Wilson II
> Email: ErnestGWilsonII@...
>

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ernie,
> >
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  I've not been active with POTA myself and AC Log
> > was not designed with POTA in mind, but you will find the configuration
> > settings other POTA folks use here:
> >
> > How do I configure AC Log for proper ADIF output for WWFF Parks on the Air
> > (POTA)? <http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107>
> >
> > http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, Scott
> > N3FJP
> > *http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
> >
> > *Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> > software since 1997.*
> >
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who
> > asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>the hope
> > that you have <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness
> > and respect*...

Ernest G. Wilson II

Tom, excellent tip!
That looks like it will accomplish what I'm looking for!

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020, 15:36 Tom Suggs <tomsuggs31@...> wrote:
> [...]

> Email: ErnestGWilsonII@...
>

> On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:31 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=
> aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ernie,
> >
> > Thanks for your e-mail.  I've not been active with POTA myself and AC Log
> > was not designed with POTA in mind, but you will find the configuration
> > settings other POTA folks use here:
> >
> > How do I configure AC Log for proper ADIF output for WWFF Parks on the Air
> > (POTA)? <http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107>
> >
> > http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q107
> >
> > Enjoy!
> >
> > 73, Scott
> > N3FJP
> > *http://www.n3fjp.com* <http://www.n3fjp.com/>
> >
> > *Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging
> > software since 1997.*
> >
> > 1 Peter 3 vs 15: *Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who

Jim Shorney

The attached screen cap from a Slack post by K0BAK details how to allow LoTW to pull location information from the log directly using the latest version of TQSL.

We always use the latest version, don't we? :)

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 15:40:21 -0400

aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Randy W2NR

There are user defined "Other" fields in N3FJP. I have Other defined as SIG_REF (park worked) and Other1 as MY_SIG_REF (Park I activated). As long as both fields are filled in and the operator at the park you worked as P2P submits a log, the POTA system will credit you with a P2P.

Concerning LOTW, you must create a separate station location defining state, county and grid square. I have two station locations defined (1) "W2NR home" which is my home station and (2) "W2NR portable" which I edit with correct county, state and grid before uploading.

Dave

Thanks much for this video link!

I have been wondering how to fully populate the lag data that is imported from WSJT-X.

I did several hundred in small groups then went for the entire log once I got a little some guts.

It took about 6 minutes Saturday night for 4600 records in the log and all went well.

Dave KC3AM

--
Hams should be seen as well as heard, 73, Dave KC3AM

Jim Shorney

A couple of points inserted below.

On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 06:17:20 -0700
"Randy W2RAN" <wright2randy@...> wrote:

There are user defined "Other" fields in N3FJP. I have Other defined as SIG_REF (park worked) and Other1 as MY_SIG_REF (Park I activated). As long as both fields are filled in and the operator at the park you worked as P2P submits a log, the POTA system will credit you with a P2P.
The correct ADIF fields to use are SIG_INFO and MY_SIG_INFO. MY_SIG_INFO is not really required at all right now but may ne used in the future so it is a good idea to get in the habit of using it. If nothing else it helps you track your parks activated. The POTA database does log matching for P2P so SIG_INFO is not *usually* needed. Where it is needed is in the case of working a rover at a different park with the same UTC date, band, and mode. The database will treat this as a dupe contact if SIG_INFO is not used. Again, it is best to get in the habit of using it so it will be there when needed.

Concerning LOTW, you must create a separate station location defining state, county and grid square. I have two station locations defined (1) "W2NR home" which is my home station and (2) "W2NR portable" which I edit with correct county, state and grid before uploading.

Already posted in a previous message is a method of having TQSL pull your location from the log rather than having to set up a new station location for each activation.

https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers/message/44483

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/

Andy Barnes

In the file section of the POTA Facebook page Robert Rampolla W3RAR Customizing ACLog for POTA should help.

73,

Andy, W5KZJ

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 08:42 Ernest G. Wilson II <ErnestGWilsonII@...> wrote:
[...]

Andy Barnes, W5KZJ 214-808-6323

Richard Rohrer

Hi Jim,

How does it do that?  Do you have to change your location in ACL?  I run mobile/portable a lot and use the method described above setting up a new LOTW location.  This seems easier.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Jim Shorney

I have not done this yet myself but I would imagine that if you enter at least your grid square and state into the designated log fields in ACL and turn on the override in TQSL it should work. I do see a Grid S field in ACL but there doesn't seem to be a way to put it in the data entry area. It looks like you can enter it for your most recent QSO logged by using the QSO Edit form>More and it will fill from there. You could also fill it manually (as MY_GRIDSQUARE) in your ADIF export with ADIF Master. You might want to get in contact with K0BAK, he is a prolific park activator and no doubt has used this a lot although I think he uses N1MM for his park roves.

73 & 44,

-Jim
NU0C

Zero District POTA Area Coordinator
http://www.parksontheair.com/
Zero and Seven Districts WWFF-KFF Log Manager
https://wwffkff.wordpress.com/
.

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 10:48:22 -0700
"Richard Rohrer" <kc3ef@...> wrote:

Hi Jim,

How does it do that?  Do you have to change your location in ACL?  I run mobile/portable a lot and use the method described above setting up a new LOTW location.  This seems easier.

73
Dick - KC3EF

Scott Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Enter your sent grid square in Settings > Setup:

Capture.JPG

"Richard Rohrer" <kc3ef@...> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> How does it do that?  Do you have to change your location in ACL?  I run mobile/portable a lot and use the method described above setting up a new LOTW location.  This seems easier.
>
> 73
> Dick - KC3EF

Jim Shorney

Of course, but I was thinking of a more real-time method. :) Going into the setup every time seems a little clunky for activating parks, especially if you are on a multi-park rove.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 10:53:31 +0000 (UTC)

73, ScottN3FJPhttp://www.n3fjp.com