From: Dan Ozment <dan@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 16, 2021 5:46 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] One Install Different Users

I'm trying to help a friend configure ACL on a PC so that he can log on as different users and have different ACL configurations.  He has his admin account that is an administrator.  He wants to create a local user called POTA and one called Field Day.  Those two users are NOT local administrators.  We're trying to install ACL one time and allow all users to run it.   We would like to do this so that each user has a completely different profile with different colors, screen configurations, etc.

He is working with ACL version 6.8.6.1.

Should that be possible?  When we try to start ACL as user POTA it complains that it cannot write to c:\program files (x86)\N3FJP Software - Affirmatech\LastSession.xml (or something similar but correctly spelled).

Stephen Walls

Kimberley,

I am the person Dan was helping.  I was using the Beta from the link sent out yesterday.  When I swapped users on the PC,  it told me 'last time I saved this file in the 'other user name' directory. This time I will save it in the 'this user' directory.  It was NOT doing what I expected.

I cleaned off all the ACL install stuff----un-installed----deleted directories--etc.

I then downloaded the Production Version,  Installed it for 2 different users on the W10 PC,  and everything worked perfectly.
No interaction,  I set up the logs with different fields and colors.

Production version is worked perfect for what I was doing.

Apparently there are some different 'file save' routines in the BETA version that were NOT happy with what I was doing.. and were trying to write back to the Programs(86) directories.

Bottom line,  the goal was to set up the 12" LT PC for POTA operation with ACL customized for what POTA logging needs.

That goal has been accomplished.

Thanks for the great software,

Steve   K4ELI

Dan Ozment

Thanks for jumping in, Steve!  Kimberly, Steve is describing one of the issues we encountered.  The other was a write permission error on a file in Program Files (x86).  File name was like Last*.xml.  Sorry I don't have a screen shot or know the exact file name.  But, in the beta version Steve had installed the non-admin user was trying to write to that file and could not.  Apparently, that isn't an issue in the version he installed after we tested.

Mentioning it in case it's a bug..

Dan

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the update. Please send along a screen shot of the error message you encountered as the beta functionality is what you should expect in the next release.

Be well and enjoy!

Thanks for jumping in, Steve!  Kimberly, Steve is describing one of the issues we encountered.  The other was a write permission error on a file in Program Files (x86).  File name was like Last*.xml.  Sorry I don't have a screen shot or know the exact file name.  But, in the beta version Steve had installed the non-admin user was trying to write to that file and could not.  Apparently, that isn't an issue in the version he installed after we tested.

Mentioning it in case it's a bug..

Dan

Carl Estey

I have never used ACL but am considering how I can log with ACL QSOs made with WSJT-X on FT-8 and HRD.  So this is one user with two applications feeding ACL which would be the main logging software database.  Suggestions?

Carl WA0CQG

On Mar 17, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Dan Ozment <dan@...> wrote:

Thanks for jumping in, Steve!  Kimberly, Steve is describing one of the issues we encountered.  The other was a write permission error on a file in Program Files (x86).  File name was like Last*.xml.  Sorry I don't have a screen shot or know the exact file name.  But, in the beta version Steve had installed the non-admin user was trying to write to that file and could not.  Apparently, that isn't an issue in the version he installed after we tested.

Mentioning it in case it's a bug..

Dan

Scott Davis

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your e-mail. You can interface WSJT with AC Log using steps from this help page:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/digitalsetup.html

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ