Topics

locked NA Sprint

JoAnn Donaldson

Scott,
    I am getting setup for the NA SSB Sprint this weekend. I noticed that you have TWO NA Sprint downloads. One has the CW and RTTY Modes greyed out and the other you can select between
CW/RTTY/SSB. Just wondering what the difference is between the Loggers. IMHO, it seems to be
a redundancy with the SSB Only Version.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Scott Davis

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  For a time, their rules diverged, necessitating the addition of a different program.  If things ever slow down and I have the opportunity I will remerge them into one, but there are countless, higher priority items on the to do list presently.

    I am getting setup for the NA SSB Sprint this weekend. I noticed that you have TWO NA Sprint downloads. One has the CW and RTTY Modes greyed out and the other you can select between
CW/RTTY/SSB. Just wondering what the difference is between the Loggers. IMHO, it seems to be
a redundancy with the SSB Only Version.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Donald R Beck

To those of us who prefer a 24 hr clock could you please add that option in a future update?  Thanks

DR Beck
Toolbox Productions,Inc.

On Oct 28, 2020, at 02:50, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi JoAnn,

Thanks for your e-mail.  For a time, their rules diverged, necessitating the addition of a different program.  If things ever slow down and I have the opportunity I will remerge them into one, but there are countless, higher priority items on the to do list presently.

    I am getting setup for the NA SSB Sprint this weekend. I noticed that you have TWO NA Sprint downloads. One has the CW and RTTY Modes greyed out and the other you can select between
CW/RTTY/SSB. Just wondering what the difference is between the Loggers. IMHO, it seems to be
a redundancy with the SSB Only Version.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Pat Whelton

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?

    I am getting setup for the NA SSB Sprint this weekend. I noticed that you have TWO NA Sprint downloads. One has the CW and RTTY Modes greyed out and the other you can select between

CW/RTTY/SSB. Just wondering what the difference is between the Loggers. IMHO, it seems to be

a redundancy with the SSB Only Version.

JoAnn

AB8YZ

W5DET

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Scott Davis

Hi Doug,

You are correct.  For nearly a quarter century now, all my loggers have always logged in 24 hour time, since inception.

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Lou Everett, Sr.

W5DET -

Strange you say that.  I have been using N3FJP logs for 15-20 years and always see UTC time on the main page and logs UTC, not 24 hour military time.  24 hour clock runs like: 0001, 0100, 0200, 0300, 0400, all the way to 2400, and then starts over.

Lou WA5LOU

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM W5DET <w5det@...> wrote:

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Donald R Beck

I’m not confused. All I want to do is set LOCAL time to 24hr clock. NOT AM/PM. THATS all I want to do

DR Beck
Toolbox Productions,Inc.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 07:55, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Doug,

You are correct.  For nearly a quarter century now, all my loggers have always logged in 24 hour time, since inception.

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Lou Everett, Sr.

Scott -

Then why do I see UTC on the main page?  I always have.  All these years.

Lou WA5LOU

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 10:56 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Doug,

You are correct.  For nearly a quarter century now, all my loggers have always logged in 24 hour time, since inception.

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Lou Everett, Sr.

Do it on your PC Clock.  I believe that is what Scotts software uses.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Lou WA5LOU

On Oct 29, 2020, at 07:55, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Doug,

You are correct.  For nearly a quarter century now, all my loggers have always logged in 24 hour time, since inception.

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Mike Olbrisch

I think they are confusing the UTC time and the local time displays on the main form (TIME and TIME UTC in the EDIT FIELDS DISPLAYED window).  The UTC defaults to a 24-hour time.  The non-UTC (local time) defaults to a 12-hour AM/PM format.  I also work in and am comfortable with a 24-hour format, so changing the local time from AM/PM to 24-hour would be fine for me.

I do not see a way to change it in AC-Log.   Although I have only given it a cursory look in the past, I did not see a way to set WINDOWS-10 Local Time to a 24-hour format either.  It is what it is, and I can live with it.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

You are correct.  For nearly a quarter century now, all my loggers have always logged in 24 hour time, since inception.

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?

It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Scott Davis

Hi Donald,

Thanks for your follow up.  There are no plans to add an additional field to also log local time, regardless of format, but you can certainly add one of the user customized Other fields and record it manually if you wish, as detailed here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q79

If I’m not mistaken all of Scott’s loggers log in 24 hour time.  That’s basic Ham Radio.  How would you be able to confirm QSOs if you logged in local time (12 hour) and your contact was drinking a cool one in Swaziland?
It appears that you and others are confusing "24 hour time" with UTC/GMT/Zulu time.  Any time zone can be expressed as 24 hour time (0000 to 2359).  UTC can also be expressed as AM/PM (12 hr time).  Many will see the primary difference between Local Time and UTC this weekend when the shift from Daylight Savings Time,  the offset between UTC and Local time shifts by an hour, and everyone gets to change all our local time clocks again.

Scott Davis

Hi Lou,

Thanks for your follow up.  My view of a 12 hour clock is that 1:00 PM is represented as 1:00 PM on a 12 hour clock and 13:00 on a 24 hour clock.  My software has always logged using the 24 hour clock format.

I suspect most folks on this group would rather me spend time developing the software, instead of engaging in a debate of whether the presence of a colon disqualifies the representation as a 24 hour clock (I know that I would).  Therefore, I am going to lock this topic thread now.

[...]

Well stated. My PC is set to 24hr read out. The program one would follow that. It does not. Why doesn’t Scott offer a choice?

DR Beck
Toolbox Productions,Inc.

On Oct 29, 2020, at 08:13, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Because, as already explained, logging in local time will break the QSO matching services.

My software has always logged in 24 hour format.

This topic is now locked.