N3FJP Contest Log Band Changing

Fred, W9KEY

I’m probably missing something simple here – but how does one change bands (via rig control) from any of the Contest Log screens?

The drop down “BAND” menu shows which one is active (with a check mark), but doesn’t respond to clicking on a different one.

During last weekend’s ARRL International DX Contest, I could click on one of the band display top column headers (where is shows 40=xx Entities), which momentarily causes the spotting window to switch from the active band to the new one.  If you are “REAL” quick, you can try to move into the spotting window and click one of the active spots, which will switch to that band (and that particular spotted frequency).  That new window view is only open for perhaps 1 second, so you have to be quick!

But this is a pretty clunky method, as you randomly land somewhere in the new band, depending on which spot you accidently hit.

So what is the “normal” way to switch bands from the N3FJP main logging screen??

Read most of the Q&A, but didn’t find anything.

73 ….. Fred,  W9KEY

Scott Davis

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your e-mail. There are 3 ways to quickly change frequency. Click on the DX Spot, type a frequency in the call field and press enter, and press Ctrl+F to display the frequency change form.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 8, 2021 8:07 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] N3FJP Contest Log Band Changing

I’m probably missing something simple here – but how does one change bands (via rig control) from any of the Contest Log screens?
The drop down “BAND” menu shows which one is active (with a check mark), but doesn’t respond to clicking on a different one.

During last weekend’s ARRL International DX Contest, I could click on one of the band display top column headers (where is shows 40=xx Entities), which momentarily causes the spotting window to switch from the active band to the new one.  If you are “REAL” quick, you can try to move into the spotting window and click one of the active spots, which will switch to that band (and that particular spotted frequency).  That new window view is only open for perhaps 1 second, so you have to be quick!

But this is a pretty clunky method, as you randomly land somewhere in the new band, depending on which spot you accidently hit.
So what is the “normal” way to switch bands from the N3FJP main logging screen??

73 ….. Fred,  W9KEY

Larry Banks

Hi Fred,

I usually use the rig, or just type the new freq into the call window.   CNTRL-F also brings up a frequency window.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Monday, March 08, 2021 20:07
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] N3FJP Contest Log Band Changing

73 ….. Fred,  W9KEY

Fred, W9KEY

Thanks to Scott & Larry - I did look, but obviously (duh!) not hard enough to see the well defined CTRL-F.
And I didn't know you could type a frequency directly into the CALL window - that's not especially intuitive, but will remember it.

I'd still vote to have the "BAND" drop down menu (in the Contest packages) active, as it now only seems to be a static display.  Or perhaps by clicking on the boxes showing the number of band entities worked.  But CTRL-F is certainly fine for my present needs .... Thanks!

Fred K2DFC

Using RIG CONTROL is the best way. Change the band on your rig and it automatically changes on the contest log.

--
Fred
K2DFC