Topics

Multiple ACLOG layouts

John Kintz

Seasons Greetings to all.

New user here.  I'd like to use ACLOG for ham contacts as well as logging my Civil Air Patrol (CAP) VHF net stations.  The CAP log requires very few fields from the rather extensive field list found in ACLOG and I'm wondering how I might be able to create and maintain a more streamlined version of  ACLOG, in addition to the "normal" ACLOG application.  Thus far, I have been able to create separate log files for ham contacts and CAP contacts, but I haven't seen any way to have separate log screens (with a different set of fields) for the two different uses. 

Is this even possible?  Suggestions?

Bill Grover

The only way that was pointed out to me is to have different computer logins so that there are different profiles and directories for the users.  They will then be separate and you can treat them individually.

Bill, N3EYF

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of John Kintz via groups.io <asheville307@...>
Sent: Thursday, December 24, 2020 3:49:18 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Multiple ACLOG layouts

New user here.  I'd like to use ACLOG for ham contacts as well as logging my Civil Air Patrol (CAP) VHF net stations.  The CAP log requires very few fields from the rather extensive field list found in ACLOG and I'm wondering how I might be able to create and maintain a more streamlined version of  ACLOG, in addition to the "normal" ACLOG application.  Thus far, I have been able to create separate log files for ham contacts and CAP contacts, but I haven't seen any way to have separate log screens (with a different set of fields) for the two different uses. 

Michael WA7SKG

Have you looked at the Net tab at the top of ACLog? It brings up a simple screen with a few fields. Good for taking in checkins for a net. Open a separate database for CAP stuff.

Michael WA7SKG

John Kintz wrote on 12/24/20 12:49 PM:

_._,_._,_

John Kintz

Yes...  I already have established one database for the Net check=ins and another for the regular ham contacts.  I would prefer to customize the Net screen and associated fields, but that does not appear to be possible.  Alternatively, I could modify the standard ACLOG screen for Net use - but the screens appear to be common to the databases and whatever changes are made to one are reflected on the other.

John AC4JK

John Kintz

I tried this as well, but it appears that ACLOG only allows one install per PC.  When I attempt to install another instance (in a different folder), ACLOG only allows modification or removal.  Is there a workaround for this?

John AC4JK

Scott Davis

Hi John,,

Thanks for your follow up.  Yes, this FAQ can be applied to your use case as well:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q92

If you wish to have both iterations access the same log file, just save the file in a location accessible to both and point each iteration to the same file (File > Open).

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Dec 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Multiple ACLOG layouts

I tried this as well, but it appears that ACLOG only allows one install per PC.  When I attempt to install another instance (in a different folder), ACLOG only allows modification or removal.  Is there a workaround for this?

John AC4JK

Tom Hauer K0YA

I set up a separate user account on our Windows 10 PC for my wife. You don't need to reload the programs, everything on the computer is visible to the new user. That makes it easy. We use WSJT-X,  JTALERT and ACLOG. When you open them in the new user account you have to set each of them up for the new user. Preferences for the other user(s) stay with their account, they don't come along, that includes your sound card settings. If you are both using LOTW each user (call sign) needs their own Tsql certificate. Its just like setting up the applications the first time on a new computer. AClog will ask you for your password again. Put the call in the password window that purchased the program for that computer. Put the new user call sign in the user setup. Don't forget to check the TCP API ENABLED box in the API settings to allow JTALERT to access AClog.

Good luck! Took me about 30 minutes with my wife driving so she knew what we were doing.  Look for her on FT8. 

Toni Hauer,  W5RCX

Tom Hauer, K0YA
Highland Lakes ARES Emergency Coordinator
319 551-9788

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 1:54 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John,,

Thanks for your follow up.  Yes, this FAQ can be applied to your use case as well:

If you wish to have both iterations access the same log file, just save the file in a location accessible to both and point each iteration to the same file (File > Open).

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Sat, Dec 26, 2020 2:48 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Multiple ACLOG layouts

John AC4JK

John Kintz

Thanks all for your suggestions to my earlier query.  I never would have thought of creating an additional Windows User account.  Easy-Peasy!

Happy New Year to the group!

John AC4JK

On 12/26/2020 7:59 PM, Tom Hauer K0YA wrote:
I set up a separate user account on our Windows 10 PC for my wife. You don't need to reload the programs, everything on the computer is visible to the new user. That makes it easy. We use WSJT-X,  JTALERT and ACLOG. When you open them in the new user account you have to set each of them up for the new user. Preferences for the other user(s) stay with their account, they don't come along, that includes your sound card settings. If you are both using LOTW each user (call sign) needs their own Tsql certificate. Its just like setting up the applications the first time on a new computer. AClog will ask you for your password again. Put the call in the password window that purchased the program for that computer. Put the new user call sign in the user setup. Don't forget to check the TCP API ENABLED box in the API settings to allow JTALERT to access AClog.

Good luck! Took me about 30 minutes with my wife driving so she knew what we were doing.  Look for her on FT8. 

Toni Hauer,  W5RCX

Tom Hauer, K0YA
Highland Lakes ARES Emergency Coordinator
319 551-9788

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020, 1:54 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John,,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP