Topics

Mode issue

Mike Weir

Good afternoon all, I have been having an issue with version 6.6 which is if my rig is in CW mode (Icom 7610 rig control software is Win4icom suite) when I log a contact the mode show SSB or AM and I am not able to change it. I have to log the contact and then go to edit and correct the mode. I am not having this issue with FT-8 using JTDX software just with CW only. 
Thanks in advance. 
Mike 
VE9KK

Ed W2LCQ

In my experience on CW with ICOM 756 Pro III and 7300 when ACL can’t read the poll info from the rig it defaults to SSB. But ACL could not read either frequency or band either. In my case this was caused by RFI easily cured by placing ferrite collars on all the cables that entered the rig and PC and putting 3-4 cable loops around each collar. Hope this helps. 

Best, Ed

73, Ed Jones W2LCQ

CWops 701 - SKCC 5474T - FISTS 12294
                 Frankford Radio Club

“The feeling is constantly growing on me that I had been the first to hear the greeting of one planet to another” —- Nicola Tesla

“I do not think that the radio waves I have discovered will have any practical application.”  
          —-Heinrich Hertz

On Jan 28, 2020, at 1:45 PM, Mike Weir <ve9kk@...> wrote:

Good afternoon all, I have been having an issue with version 6.6 which is if my rig is in CW mode (Icom 7610 rig control software is Win4icom suite) when I log a contact the mode show SSB or AM and I am not able to change it. I have to log the contact and then go to edit and correct the mode. I am not having this issue with FT-8 using JTDX software just with CW only. 
Thanks in advance. 
Mike 
VE9KK

Mike Weir

Good afternoon Ed and thanks for the reply, yes I am able to get correct frequency readout and all works FB with FT-8. But for some reason the mode is not co-operating. As for RFI even with the Icom turned off and the program just on it's own if I enter a call I still am not able to remove the SSB mode only until it is logged and then I go to edit. 
Thanks 
Mike 
VE9KK 

John K9IJ

Mike,

In the rig setup form, check  the 'Mode determined by' selection setting. I have it set for Rig, which is good
for all modes except for FT4/8. The rig returns SSB but the JTAlertx logs the qso as FT8 correctly. I usually
run with rig control off ( Ctrl-shift-R) when I'm running FT8 anyway since the frequency on the radio is mostly
set and forget for that mode.

John - K9IJ

On 1/28/2020 1:27 PM, Mike Weir wrote:
Good afternoon Ed and thanks for the reply, yes I am able to get correct frequency readout and all works FB with FT-8. But for some reason the mode is not co-operating. As for RFI even with the Icom turned off and the program just on it's own if I enter a call I still am not able to remove the SSB mode only until it is logged and then I go to edit. 
Thanks 
Mike 
VE9KK 

-- 
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

k9ij@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Mike Weir

Good evening John, I seem to be having a brain fart today..........I have search all over the  logging program for the "mode determined by" setting and for some reason I just can't seem to find it. 
Mike 

K8TS

Lower Left corner, just to side of radio list

On Rig Interface menu

Dale K8TS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:05 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Mode issue

Good evening John, I seem to be having a brain fart today..........I have search all over the  logging program for the "mode determined by" setting and for some reason I just can't seem to find it. 
Mike 

Mike Weir

Thanks very much Dale and there it is plan as day..........for some reason I just did not see it. I do have it set to rig as John had asked me to check. With that checked I still get the same mode issue with things still in SSB. 
Thanks 
Mike 
VE9KK 

Scott Davis

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Make sure you have Icom2 selected and double check your settings against these here:

Make sure your string to read mode is correct.

I've had no other problem reports with the 7610. I have a 7610 myself and all continues to work fine here.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks very much Dale and there it is plan as day..........for some reason I just did not see it. I do have it set to rig as John had asked me to check. With that checked I still get the same mode issue with things still in SSB. 
Thanks 
Mike 
VE9KK 

Mike Weir

Scott thanks very much for the reply it turns out the read mode string was incorrect. I had 03 in the string and I changed it to 04 and all was good with reading the mode. I am not sure why or how this changed but computers and software can preform magic.
Thanks again Scott and everyone who gave me advice in this issue. 
Mike 
VE9KK 

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Scott Davis via Groups.Io <SNKDavis@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:33 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Make sure you have Icom2 selected and double check your settings against these here:

Make sure your string to read mode is correct.

I've had no other problem reports with the 7610. I have a 7610 myself and all continues to work fine here.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jan 28, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks 
Mike 
VE9KK