Topics

Mass Field Fill

N7GHG

Not sure how to title it.. But, I have just imported a lot of contacts into ACL from a different computer.  All are in .adi format.  They have populated ACL correctly.
However, I have added a field in ACL that I would like to be in all of my new files.  Is there a way to mass populate a range of fields as you would in something like a text edit format without using text edit?  In other words.. something like typing the information on one line and doing whatever magic to fill the rest of the column from a specific record to another record.. let's say 100 records.

Hoping so... or it would take a couple of days of nonstop copy and paste.

Thanks, Bill

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I think ADIF Master is probably the best solution.  More details are here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q63

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Dec 1, 2020 8:45 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Mass Field Fill

Not sure how to title it.. But, I have just imported a lot of contacts into ACL from a different computer.  All are in .adi format.  They have populated ACL correctly.
However, I have added a field in ACL that I would like to be in all of my new files.  Is there a way to mass populate a range of fields as you would in something like a text edit format without using text edit?  In other words.. something like typing the information on one line and doing whatever magic to fill the rest of the column from a specific record to another record.. let's say 100 records.

Thanks, Bill

N7GHG

Thank you Scott.. one more thing to learn... grin
I just posted another topic... somewhat related.. but not.
The other one had to do with field updating for such things as counties, grid squares or whatever other contest I might happen to sign up for.. I have never contested.. but even at the ripe old age of 81.. who knows.
I have about 700 records pre ACL to do some updating with.. argg.
BUT, glad to have your software.
Bill

Dan Morris

Bill, on the adif file you can always us the global find/replace ‘ALL’ using Wordpad or which editor you are using.
I also have a field I use in ACLog and I go into the adif file and use the ‘find/replace’ function … So, for instance, I might
change the ’SKCC’ from my skcc logger file to OTHER6 so that all those SKCC  numbers will be put into the OTHER6 file which is my SKCC in ACLog.  Hope that helps.

Dan Morris  KZ3T

I live to live for Him!

On Dec 1, 2020, at 8:45 AM, N7GHG <chipz40@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bill

N7GHG

Thank you Dan.. I'm trying to avoid using Wordpad if possible.  Once I forgot to add  the numbers before adding the text and all the entries became void.. For instance.. correcting a call sign from a 2x3 to a 2x2 makes an error that POTA doesn't seem to like if I don't change the number of characters it's expecting from 6 to 5...  It might be an option I'll have to work with.. but, I've been told I need to explore ADIF Master.  I'll certainly have a learning curve there as well... grin.
Bill
N7GHG

Mike Olbrisch

Bill,

ADIF-Master drives a lot like Excel.  You can change cells, copy and paste, block copy and block paste, find and replace……. And best of all it doesn’t give you the chance to miss a period, comma or other formatting error that would kill your log.

As with anything – DO BACKUP before you start.  Just in case.   Best of luck sir!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of N7GHG
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 9:01 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Mass Field Fill

Thank you Dan.. I'm trying to avoid using Wordpad if possible.  Once I forgot to add  the numbers before adding the text and all the entries became void.. For instance.. correcting a call sign from a 2x3 to a 2x2 makes an error that POTA doesn't seem to like if I don't change the number of characters it's expecting from 6 to 5...  It might be an option I'll have to work with.. but, I've been told I need to explore ADIF Master.  I'll certainly have a learning curve there as well... grin.
Bill
N7GHG