Topics

Making Other1 field City (QTH) field

Dale Martin, KG5U

Lately, I’ve tried using ACL as a general QSO logger. I found there’s one thing missing: an entry field for City. I tried making Other1 a City field, but that fell flat. I found an ADIF formats webpage and tried QTH. That seemed to work, to a degree. I tested an ADIF export and found that the QTH flag was there with the city name I had entered in the log. But, I also found another flag, simply called Other with the city name in it also.

I have looked through the list of fields and don’t find Other (Other1 is the new QTH field). Where is that Other coming from?

When I first purchased and installed and set up ACL I noticed there was no City field. Why is that? What ham has a normal (i.e., conversational, non-dx/contest) QSO in which City is NOT a prominent feature in the first go-round?

73,

Dale, kg5u

Christopher Scibelli

If you are using QRZ the location populates the comments section.  Try it for me and you'll get my street address, town and state.

73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

Dave

Is there a way in ACL to have the County populated ???

Dave KC3AM

--
73, Dave KC3AM

Christopher Scibelli

Do an award search and you'll see all the counties you've worked or confirmed.

73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

Kevin Gray <notsome1else@...>

Most times the City (if entered) would be placed in the “Comment” field when logging a station, even in Olden’ Days when paper was still used.

A Specific field for each data item, sometimes is just over kill.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with using any of the “Other” fields for anything you want, and making them appear in your log. Any field that aren’t .adif compliant, simply will be ignored when imported into other software, as well as having two tags for each one. One being the “Name” you chose and an additional “OtherX” field.

I remember my original way of logging 😊

7e Kevin N9VPV

[...]

Scott Davis

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Other is the first Other field, which also carries the value of any ADIF tag name you give the field as well.  You can use any of the Other fields to capture any data you wish.

Since there aren't many city awards, AC Log doesn't have a dedicated field for city.  Most folks just include the city in the comments field, if that is of interest to them.

[...]

Steve <n6qek@...>

I disagree with using the comments field for the city information.  I would use that for wx conditions or a report on the band conditions.  I think having a city field is very worthwhile.  I am new to this logging software, migrating from DXbase2007.  I will see if I can figure out how to convert an "other" field to a city field.

Steve
N6QEK/KL7

Steve <n6qek@...>

Okay...I am lost.  I apologize in advance for sounding annoyed....

I am trying to create a CITY field and I have taken OTHER2 and renamed it.  There has to be something behind the scenes that links the new City box to the ADIF format, which is:

MY_CITY    String    the logging station's city

Now to me, the logging station's city is me.  But I did not set up the ADIF format.

So is there a way to behind the scenes link City to the ADIF string so when I work someone, the City field will be filled with the information from may Hamcall disk?

And is there a way that field can be moved up into the general logging panel where all the QSO's are logged?  So I would see something like:
where <CITY> is the field added?

N6ABC  Bob  RST 40 RTTY <CITY> CA  San Diego

To me it is interesting to sort by call and see the city. ("oh, Bob has moved from San Diego to Truckee, that's why I haven't come across him in the ARRL RTTY Roundup for a couple of years"

I would be appreciative of some guidance.

73

Russ Johnson

Hi Steve,

I’m not very technical so I can’t answer your linking / ADIF question

However you can move all the fields around (except for Call as I recall).  I was quite surprised City wasn’t built in to ACL.  I also don’t want to use Comments for that.  I renamed an Other field as City and have it appear right before State in the general logging panel.  I’ve used several Other fields to get ACL to approximate the Excel spreadsheet log I used to use.  It’s not super intuitive but after a few hours I figured it out...as I recall some ham created a short YouTube video on how to do the renaming/field moving and that was super helpful.

73
Russ K3Pi

On Jan 28, 2021, at 1:38 AM, Steve <n6qek@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your e-mail.  I have responses inserted:

Is there a way to behind the scenes link City to the ADIF string so when I work someone, the City field will be filled with the information from may Hamcall disk?

Not from a lookup function, but if you make the field name the proper ADIF tag, city will be properly filled on import when you transfer data via ADIF, and included on export as well.

And is there a way that field can be moved up into the general logging panel where all the QSO's are logged?  So I would see something like:
where <CITY> is the field added?

You can customize AC Log's main entry form any way you like as detailed here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q79

If you have any additional questions, I have lots of support for you on:

- Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page:  http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html  (the vast majority of commonly asked questions are answered right here).

- Our website help section:  http://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

- Our YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxw9QX84F4tFyX8JavCOD3XVUS5Dsznw

And if you still have questions after reviewing all the resources above, please feel free to search the topics and / or e-mail us on our users support e-mail group:  https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers

[...]

Scott....

Thank you for the reply.  I have already reviewed the resources you have provided and I do not see a specific instance where an "other" field is modified from let's say OTHER2 to CITY.  The only example I see was taking a "canned" field called GRID and replacing the pre-existing "other" field.  That I understand.  But how does the software pick up the MY_CITY and associate it with the newly created "CITY" box?

Your logging software is very powerful, no doubt.  I like that you an search on just about anything you would like to search.

To me, the CITY field in my last two logging apps (ProLog and DXBase 2007) all had a CITY field.

I appreciate from what I have read and watched that an "other" field can be made to represent just about anything.  So how is that done?  The ADIF format for CITY is >> MY_CITY    String    the logging station's city

So I do I repurpose an "other" field, rename it MY_CITY in order for your software to key in on that field?  That does not seem very elegant having a box named MY_CITY.

I apologize for being tunnel visioned on this.  I like the software, however not being able to figure this out is frustrating.

Once this is figured out, the CITY field can be made to present itself in the main logging form? (I am referring to the section of the logging where all the contacts are listed one after the other - horizontally)  For example, I can pop in the CITY field (now as a column) ahead of the State so in the log it will show as  ...  blah, blah blah Bob Bend, OR rather than just Bob OR.

Steve

Roy Jackson

I believe MY_CITY would be for the city where you live. QTH would be the ADIF standard for the city of the station you are in contact with. I don't have ACLog open in front of me, but if I remember correctly you can name the field anything you want (CITY comes to mind), then apply that to the ADIF standard of QTH. Hope this helps.

Roy G. Jackson KW4G Sebring, Florida USA

On 1/28/2021 3:22 PM, Steve wrote:

[...]

Kevin Gray

Steve

Simply renaming one of the Other fields to QTH will work, and it will then appear as such instead of “Other” in your log

https://www.adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_QTH

from the ADIF specs.

73 Kevin

N9VPV

[...]

Jim Shorney

It will appear as both in an ADIF export. This preserves any existing data in the Other(x) field if you someday rename it to something else.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 15:58:35 -0600
"Kevin Gray" <n9vpv@arrl.net> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kevin for the reply.  I discovered from your link, what I was calling the CITY field was defined as QTH for the op on the other end.  So!  I renamed Other3 to QTH, popped the new field/box in the logging section (where all the particulars of the QSO are entered).  I typed in the call of a friend of mine and his county populated from the Hamcall data on my PC, but sadly, his QTH (CITY) did not.  :(

Back to the drawing board.  I really do not understand why QTH would be left out!!  When you make contact, you ALWAYS exchange the city, state, etc.  So why wouldn't that field be incorporated this deep into the releases of AC Log????  I will keep banging away and see if I can get this to work.  I am not concerned too much about exporting into an ADIF file because I do not use eQSL or LoTW.  But I do import ADIF files.

73
Steve
N6QEK/KL7

Scott Davis

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your follow up.  AC Log doesn't have a defined city field.  AC Log has 8 Other fields that you can use any way that you like, including recording the city that the operator you are working resides in, if you choose.  To conform with ADIF spec, you will want to name the Other field QTH, but that is entirely up to you.

To rename an Other field, click Settings > Other Field Titles and Fill Behavior.  Then enter then name that you wish to call the field.  If you wish to transfer the data in that field via ADIF, you must give it the name of the ADIF spec, but otherwise, you can name it whatever you like.

To customize where you wish the field to display on the main form, please follow these directions here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q79

To change the location of the Other column, which you have renamed to your preference, simply drag the column header with your mouse.

That's all of the functionality associated with the user defined Other fields.