Topics

lOST MY WHOLE LOG TODAY

Walter

I have been using this AC log for a while it is version 6.4.  Today something happened and the software would not do anything.  It happened when I logged a QSO.  I had to hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end task to get my computer back to responding.  I am running Windows 7

When I reopened the software all my contacts were gone.  Lost.

I have it setup to load files to LOTW and EQSL and tried to download all from both but only got about 40 contacts back.

how can I get my logs back?

73, W9KJO

Walter

As it turns out, for some reason, this software stopped loading QSO'd into LOTW back in January.  Why did it just stop load to LOTW?  crazy stuff.  I thought it was but I guess I was wrong.

I have yet to figure out how to download contacts from LOTW.

I have a backfile dataed in January.  When I load those into the software, then try to load the weekly backup is removes the january and before contacts.

This is crazy.

Clearly I have the backup setup because the logs are all in the back up to january.  after that it did these weekly backups instead. 

How do I rebuild my whole log?

This is nuts and confusing.  Why would the setting change like that,

W9KJO

Scott Davis

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you ran into trouble.

You can restore from backup (AC Log makes backups automatically) as detailed here:

You can also restore from LoTW (which you may have already done successfully).  Remember, AC Log only displays the last 50 by default.  Click All to the right of the Recent Contacts header to see your complete log.

And to ensure that in the future you never lose more than a day's worth of data, please implement this backup plan here:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] lOST MY WHOLE LOG TODAY

I have been using this AC log for a while it is version 6.4.  Today something happened and the software would not do anything.  It happened when I logged a QSO.  I had to hit Ctrl/Alt/Delete and end task to get my computer back to responding.  I am running Windows 7

When I reopened the software all my contacts were gone.  Lost.

I have it setup to load files to LOTW and EQSL and tried to download all from both but only got about 40 contacts back.

how can I get my logs back?

73, W9KJO

Daren Bishop

This also happened to me. Never recovered. Both my log and backup log were erased. It was evident that they once existed, but no more.

Joseph Miller

I am sorry that happened to you. I had a complete data loss in 2016 due to a hard drive failure. I see you are an LOTW user. It won't be a complete restoration, but you can start with a new file, then download all your activity in LOTW.

Hope this helps...

73 de Joe KJ8O Desert Hot Springs CA

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 8:01 PM Daren Bishop <w5dtb@...> wrote:
This also happened to me. Never recovered. Both my log and backup log were erased. It was evident that they once existed, but no more.

--
***  Avoid internet congestion, real radio uses airwaves.  ***

Joe Miller, KJ8O
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Locator DM13sw

Ron

I use LOTW but also use eQSL   One reason I use eQSL is as a back up for my log   I have recovered my log a couple times over the years this way do to HD failures.

Ron  WA0KDS 

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 8:10:43 PM MST, Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...> wrote:

I am sorry that happened to you. I had a complete data loss in 2016 due to a hard drive failure. I see you are an LOTW user. It won't be a complete restoration, but you can start with a new file, then download all your activity in LOTW.

Hope this helps...

--

Joe Miller, KJ8O
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Locator DM13sw

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Sooner or later, if you keep your PC long enough, your hard drive will fail, a Windows update will go awry, a virus will invade, you will make a human error blunder or there will be some other anomaly causing you to lose data.  AC Log has a built in feature to protect you.  You simply need to set up the saving of your log on close to another device (a thumb drive is fine) every time you close AC log.  That way, should your hard drive fail completely, your log is still safe.

In the nearly quarter of a century I've been doing this, I've never needed it, but I sleep well knowing that if my PC won't boot tomorrow, my 58K QSOs will be fine.

The following is from the FAQ page at www.n3fjp.com:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q49

What's the best way to protect myself from data loss?

Actually, this question is almost never asked, and then only after data loss has occurred, but is it something for all of us to prepare for. Hard drives fail, RF / power surges get in the shack and corrupt files, Windows updates go awry, viruses invade, PC cleaners "clean" too much (I've had multiple reports of "Cleaners" eating log files over the years), components of our operating systems fail and human errors happen. Over the long haul, without protection, data loss is an inevitability.

The best way to protect yourself from data loss is by backing up your data often, ideally to an external medium. Both AC Log and the contesting programs offer several automatic backup options that you can configure by clicking File > Backup Options.

AC Log creates a backup of your data automatically, once a week by default and also includes an option to save a backup every time you close it to a location of your choice. To fully protect yourself from data loss, I strongly recommend you enable the backup on close option and choose an external medium such as another location on your home network, thumb drive, etc. With this enabled to an external medium, even if the PC hosting your log file totally fails, you can be sure that the worst case scenario is only losing a day's worth of data, not a lifetime of logging.

Please take a minute now and plan a sensible backup process for your data!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io <n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io>; N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Sep 23, 2020 1:05 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] lOST MY WHOLE LOG TODAY

I use LOTW but also use eQSL   One reason I use eQSL is as a back up for my log   I have recovered my log a couple times over the years this way do to HD failures.

Ron  WA0KDS 

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 8:10:43 PM MST, Joseph Miller <kj8o.ham@...> wrote:

Hope this helps...

--

Joe Miller, KJ8O
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Locator DM13sw

Robert Hoffman

I have my log directory mirrored to the cloud and every time anything changes in my log or settings the change is made in the cloud copy as well. Further, each time the program is closed, the log is saved to a different location in the cloud. Also, once each month I make a copy of my home directory, which includes the log file, to a thumb drive I keep in my fireproof safe.  

It's also on LoTW, automatically updated. I would have to try really hard to lose my log. 

Scott's builtin backup options make this easy, as long as you don't have your backup on the same drive and when that drive goes, you're sunk.  :)

Lester Shields

I use a different log, however my approach should work for most. The PC has an external drive. The logger makes a backup copy of the log file to the external drive at least daily. It also makes a backup copy on another pc on my network. That PC has an external drive that my C drive is backed up to daily, with backups going back a  month. Finally, I upload my log to LOTW and eQSL periodically.

Les
K8LES