Topics

Logging while operating with different calls from multiple locations

VG M

Hi All,
I've been using AC Log for 2 years now and quite happy with it.
Here is the first ever question I have. I asked it in another thread posted by KC2LSD but it would seem like I was going to hijack the thread so I am starting a new one.
I operate from home using callsign AF2F and have AC Log on the PC in the shack.
I also operate using AF2F/W4 and have separate AC Log installed in the laptop.
Having two different locations configured in LoTW all goes well. I can start the program on either computer and clearly see all my contacts made/confirmed from a particular location.  Recently I was looking to merge my both LoTW DXCC accounts in order to all credits to be applied to my DXCC record. After posting on LoTW email group I was told that after merging 2 or more accounts there will be a single LoTW DXCC account. Looking at the way how AC Log downloads data from LoTW made me realize that there will be a big mess in the log and I will not be able to see which QSO was made with which callsign and from which location.
So here is the question: Is it possible to create an extra field in the log to see my own callsign? From what I understand the answer is NO.
I would appreciate any comments on this though, since I am not the only one in this situation.
Tnx & 73
Matt - AF2F

AI3KS

Matt,

I may be wrong here, but as far as I know, TQSL locations are separate from your Awards. I would think that as long as you continue uploading and downloading with the proper certificate and callsign all would remain as is.

If you want to merge the files, there is an "OPERATOR" Field that you can change on the setup form to indicate which call is in use for that QSO. Unfortunately, I didn't see that an a field that could be added to the main logging screen, only in the listing.

Don't know if this helps, but those are my thoughts.

Steve, AI3KS

On 20/12/31 19:05, VG M wrote:
[...]

Scott Davis

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your e-mail.  To create a separate field for your call sign in the QSO record, AC Log includes 8 user customizable Other fields, any one of which you can use for that purpose if you like.  You can customize the name and fill behavior by clicking Setting > Other Field Titles.

Enjoy and Happy New Year!

On 20/12/31 19:05, VG M wrote:
[...]

Steve,

"OPERATOR" would not do any good here. From what I understand it's usable for a club station with fixed location but operated with different people. Maybe something else, but it's beyond my interest since I am the only operator here.
Yes, TQSL has nothing to do with awards, it's merely a tool to verify your identity and let you interact with LoTW server.
I was talking about merging LoTW DXCC accounts, not some files inside AC Log. Merging LoTW DXCC accounts lets your DXCC credits for all accounts to be applied to your DXCC record.

Scott,

I never really understood how one can customize "Other" fields and was okay with that until now.
Can you give a real world example? Should I put "STATION_CALLSIGN" in there as ADIF tag?  Is there a tutorial or something how to customize the "Other" fields? Not a software engineer here, sorry.

Tnx
73, Matt - AF2F

On 20/12/31 19:05, VG M wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your follow up.  If STATION_CALLSIGN is the ADIF tag you want, yes.

There is no need to be a software engineer.  The FAQ tutorial is here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q79

On 20/12/31 19:05, VG M wrote:
[...]

Jim Shorney

OPERATOR is defined in the ADIF specification as being the operator's callsign, which may or may not be the same as the station callsign (STATION_CALLSIGN) used on the air. If only one of the two appears in a log it is assumed that they are the same.

http://www.adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_OPERATOR

http://www.adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_STATION_CALLSIGN

73

-Jim
NU0C

________________________________

http://www.n3fjp.com<http://www.n3fjp.com/>

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for <http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm> the hope that you have<http://www.n3fjp.com/Faith.htm>. But do this with gentleness and respect...

On 20/12/31 19:05, VG M wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Jim.

So Steve was correct then, but my problem was that I didn't know that populating the "OPERATOR" field on setup menu will create entry in export ADIF.
Now when "OPERATOR" field gets populated as soon as I log a QSO and new entry appears in export ADIF I did the following:
Uploaded to LoTW, then manually edited a few Qs and removed callsign from "OPERATOR" field.
Then downloaded data from LoTW and that field didn't get re-populated.
It tells me that LoTW needs only DATE, TIME, BAND and MODE and QSO partner's callsign of course, to be presented in export ADIF.
So, in order to be able to distinguish Qs made with different callsigns I need just en entry in OPERATOR field in AC Log and shouldn't care about ADIF at all. As simple as it could be.

73,
Matt - AF2F