Topics

Laptop / paddle layout

Russ Johnson

Hi,

Well I took the plunge and I am about to try my first contest tomorrow with logging software vs paper/pencil
No more spending hours creating the stupid Cabrillo file

I still am not sure I have enough hands to handle the laptop keyboard, paddle and radio dial (I am not controlling rig thru software).

Due to space issues, the laptop and paddle will have to go the right of the rig..... plus I am pretty useless left handed anyway.

What is the best layout do you think …..from left to right:

RIg, laptop, paddle   or Rig, paddle, laptop??   I'm trying to figure out how to choreograph all the hand movements for best efficiency.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks Russ K3Pi

Mark Nelson

RIg, laptop, paddle  .. Learn to tune the rig with your left hand--------see you from here in SF section!  AA6DX

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 4:39 PM Russ Johnson <radiok3pi@...> wrote:
Hi,

Well I took the plunge and I am about to try my first contest tomorrow with logging software vs paper/pencil
No more spending hours creating the stupid Cabrillo file

I still am not sure I have enough hands to handle the laptop keyboard, paddle and radio dial (I am not controlling rig thru software).

Due to space issues, the laptop and paddle will have to go the right of the rig..... plus I am pretty useless left handed anyway.

What is the best layout do you think …..from left to right:

RIg, laptop, paddle   or Rig, paddle, laptop??   I'm trying to figure out how to choreograph all the hand movements for best efficiency.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks Russ K3Pi

Russ Johnson

Thanks Mark.  I should have added that I will be using the dial with left hand....that much I can do!

Appreciate the feedback....Russ K3Pi

Fred K2DFC

For a contest like this you really should consider rig control and keying through the software. You won't need the key at all. Send everything from the F-Keys. You'll also make about four times as many contacts that way.

Fred
K2DFC