Topics

High DPI Display and N3FJP - HUGE!!!

JeffH

Hello!

I just picked up the Winter Field Day Logging Software (decided to go for the whole package license option while I was at it!). :-)

I installed the Winter Field Day app and, as soon as I opened it, WOW! Holy large UI Batman!

I searched the messages on Groups.io and it looks like others had issues with this in the past. I'm not sure if work was done to try to remedy this...if so, then there's still a problem.

I was able to overcome it a little bit by changing the Form Size from 100 to 50 and modifying the compatibility settings in the shortcut to override High DPI scaling behavior, but that only helps with the main logging window. Any time I open any of the other menus, they're back to taking 100% of the display. On a 32" widescreen - you can see it from the house across the street! :-P

@Scott - happy to give you a preview of what I'm seeing on my end. Let me know if you're interested and I'll grab a screen recording for you.

-JeffH

Jeff Hochberg
W4JEW
Atlanta, GA

Scott Davis

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I upgraded the software a few iterations back, so that the commonly used forms should display proportionally on a 4K monitor.  They are working properly on a 4K monitor here.

When I say display properly, I am referring to percentage of screen size.  So, taking the physical dimensions of the monitor out of the thinking for a moment, if the form is designed to display at 70% of the screen on a 1920 X 1080 monitor, it should display on 70% of the screen on a 4K monitor.

I totally understand that 70% of a 38" monitor is much larger than you need, but I have not looked into detecting the physical dimensions of a monitor and adjusting for that.  As I think out loud, that may also require me having to guess what the user may really want, as groups often display one or more of the forms on a large screen in a large common area for all to see and therefore prefer the normal display.

That path isn't clear, but I will give it some thought for the future.

Thanks so much for your support!

[...]

Scott,

You may very well go down in software development history as the most responsive dev! :-)

I'm using an LG display operating in 3840x2160. When I opened N3FJP for the first time, it took the entire display - not 70%. When I looked at the scaling setting, I noticed it was configured for 70, so I was surprised it took up the entire display. Typically, using the Compatability Mode setting to force an override of the High DPI settings will resolve any scaling issues, but I found that the text for the pull-down menus was still very big. It wasn't until I went in and forced the value down from 70 to 50 (in conjunction with the High DPI override on the app shortcut), that it went down to a reasonable size. But again, when I open any of the settings, the size of any additional dialogs is HUGE (see below).

I'd be more than happy to work with you as a sounding board/tester for you. I work in the IT world (networking & security engineer) and interact a lot with developers. I always say I'm a great beta tester (if it's possible to break it, I'll make it happen). But I spend a lot of time providing feedback.

Feel free to reach out to me directly - contact info on QRZ.com.

-JeffH

I tried resizing this image, but Groups.io's editor isn't cooperating.

Scott Davis

Thanks Jeff,

Please ping me on this after the conclusion of the Winter contest season.  I would like to circle back to this when there is time to breath.

Thanks again!

[...]

Yes sir – not a problem!

[...]

Jay

This is the exact same situation I mentioned about 6 months ago- running the exact same resolution.
I would be happy to be part of the test group if you want additional folks to evaluate!
Good luck in WFD.

 - Jay N1AV

Yes sir – not a problem!