Topics

GridTracker and ACL

Klaus Berkner

I recently discovered GridTracker to monitor FT8 Contacts. Is there any information on coupling ACL with GridTracker? There may have been discussion in this forum that I missed, so any help is welcome.

Thanks

Klaus K6KHB

Scott Davis

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I've heard good reports about GridTracker and am eager to give it a try, but with all the irons in the fire here, I've not had the opportunity.

The only setting required in my software is to enable the API.  I understand that it is a simple selection in GridTracker as well.

If anyone has a few words on GridTracker, formatted similarly to the other programs here, along with a screen shot, I would love to get some basic GridTracker documentation going here:

Thanks in advance for your help!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:13 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] GridTracker and ACL

I recently discovered GridTracker to monitor FT8 Contacts.  Is there any information on coupling ACL with GridTracker?  There may have been discussion in this forum that I missed, so any help is welcome.

Thanks

Klaus K6KHB

Jamie GOLLY

Hi Klaus, Gridtracker is fantastic!

Here is info on how I set things up for ACLog and WSJT-X With Gridtracker.

GL & 73
Jamie K6NGN 

On Aug 25, 2020, at 1:19 PM, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I've heard good reports about GridTracker and am eager to give it a try, but with all the irons in the fire here, I've not had the opportunity.

The only setting required in my software is to enable the API.  I understand that it is a simple selection in GridTracker as well.

If anyone has a few words on GridTracker, formatted similarly to the other programs here, along with a screen shot, I would love to get some basic GridTracker documentation going here:

Thanks in advance for your help!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 25, 2020 4:13 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] GridTracker and ACL

I recently discovered GridTracker to monitor FT8 Contacts.  Is there any information on coupling ACL with GridTracker?  There may have been discussion in this forum that I missed, so any help is welcome.

Thanks

Klaus K6KHB

Klaus Berkner

Jamie,

This is a great writeup ... Thanks, I'll give it a try

Klaus K6KHB

Fred K2DFC

I have one question. Where does Grid Tracker get the grid info? I scanned through Jamie's PDF but did not see it. I use ACLog with fills from QRZ. But not all grid locations in QRZ are accurate. Some hams intentionally move them so exact locations are not disclosed. Some are in the middle of the town or city where mail is delivered. I've seen one in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.

--
Fred
K2DFC

Randy Allen

With FT8 at least, i believe Grid Tracker pulls the grid from the information being transmitted by the station (i.e. "CQ KA0AZS EM79"  or "K2DFC KA0AZS EM79")

I have found that stations that do not include a grid square in their transmission show as a "-" in Grid Tracker.  I have found that the State for US stations (pulled from QRZ) sometimes do not match the grid the station is actually operating in.  I've had to manually correct my ACL log for stations operating at, for example,  a vacation home rather than the address listed in QRZ.

Hope this helps
Randy KA0AZS

Randy Allen

Good write up!

I would like to point out for other newbies that you do not have to run JTALERT with Grid Tracker and WSJT-X. 

My set up is an IC-706MKIIG, WSTJ-X, Grid Tracker and ACLog.

You look up the  Port in ACLog (Settings, Application Program Interface (API), and enter it into Grid Tracker under Setting, Logging, N3FJP Loggers.  Works great for me.

Some day I might look into JTALERT, but It's working now and I'm having enough fun that I don't want to risk adding complications by adding another layer of software.

Randy KA0AZS

Richard Ingels

Any way to just skip using JTAlerts altogether and only use ACL, Gridtracker and WSJT-X?

thanks
Rick, N5RRJ

Richard Ingels

Randy, This is exactly what I want to do but I'm not quite sure how to do it from your directions. I know after I do it once it will seem obvious. Is there any chance you might upload some screenshots or detal actual numbers for us? There is very little on this anywhere. Everything I can find depends upon using JTAlerts with ACL. Also, I hear that if it's not done right then port conflicts can easily be created between ACL, Gridtracker and WSJT-X.

thanks!
Rick, N5RRJ

Randy Allen

Jack: In ACL, Click on <Settings> in the menu bar at the top of the screen.  Then click on <Application Program Interface (API)> 

In the pop up box ensure TCP API Enabled (Server)  is checked.  Note the Port Number (1100 in my case).  I'll do a screen print of my GT set up in a bit.

Randy KA0AZS

Randy Allen

Yes

Randy KA0AZS

Randy Allen

Rick,

In Grid Tracker.  On the main screen, Click on <Settings> (the icon with the gears.  You can also hover your mouse over the icons until you find it)

On the box that pops up.  Click on the <Logging> tab

Find the "N3FJP Loggers" line.  Click on the circle under the "Log?" column and ensure it shows green.  Ensure the Port matches what is listed in the ACL API screen. I have not had to change anythign as far the IP address, just went with the default.

Hope this helps.

Randy KA0AZS

Richard Ingels

Works great now! Love the way they all 3 work together: WSJT-X, Gridtracker, and N3FJP's ACL. It was far easier to set up than I imagined and easier than anything I've seen so far. Three settings, one in each program (well, technically two in Gridtracker in the same screen), and done with all working together.
Thanks
Rick
N5RRJ

Randy Allen

Glad I could help.

See you on the airwaves

Randy KA0AZS