Topics

Get error accessing QRZ after any delay/pause

Bob Willey

If I have not used N3FJP for a bit (maybe an hour or more).
The first time I access a call sign, either by auto/WSJT-X or by typing one in, I get:
image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Just an inconvenience/annoyance.....
Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3
I do have an XML access to QRZ and logged in.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

(410) 251-8960 | K3RLW@...

http://qrz.com/db/K3RLW

5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3RLW

Scott Davis

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That error is returned when QRZ does not respond, which could be caused by your Internet connection or the QRZ server itself.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Dec 29, 2020 10:36 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Get error accessing QRZ after any delay/pause

The first time I access a call sign, either by auto/WSJT-X or by typing one in, I get:
image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

Bob Willey

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That makes sense, but...
I have Atlantic Broadband Cable internet service which is pretty reliable
and it happens frequently, like several times a day, just enough to be annoying.
And every single time, I simply go to Callsign field and hit TAB and it populates, every time.
Strange, but just enough to be a bit frustrating.
Hmmmm....
This has been going on for months, and I just got around to saying something, to see if others have had any similar occurrences, and what they might have done for this issue.
??

Doesn't stop me, and if I don't catch it, it just keeps getting the error until I click OK and then it is fine and moves on, even if I don't click on the TAB button.  And then periodically I just just click on recent entries and use the 
Edit > Fill Fields Determined by Call > Selected
to fill in any missing info.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That error is returned when QRZ does not respond, which could be caused by your Internet connection or the QRZ server itself.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

image.png

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

Larry Banks

Hi Bob,

This happens to me too.   I’ve convinced myself it’s a QRZ issue with no real evidence.  I just ignore it.  I’ve got a good FIOS connection so I don’t think it has anything to do with the Internet.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 11:52
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Get error accessing QRZ after any delay/pause

That makes sense, but...
and it happens frequently, like several times a day, just enough to be annoying.
And every single time, I simply go to Callsign field and hit TAB and it populates, every time.
Hmmmm....
This has been going on for months, and I just got around to saying something, to see if others have had any similar occurrences, and what they might have done for this issue
??

Doesn't stop me, and if I don't catch it, it just keeps getting the error until I click OK and then it is fine and moves on, even if I don't click on the TAB button.  And then periodically I just just click on recent entries and use the
Edit > Fill Fields Determined by Call > Selected
to fill in any missing info

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--
https://www.qrzcom/db/K3RLW

--

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

It happens to me once in a great while.  I know this doesn't help you, but sometimes it is a good idea to see what others get
in the same circumstance.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Larry Banks via groups.io <larryb.w1dyj=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

This happens to me too.   I’ve convinced myself it’s a QRZ issue with no real evidence.  I just ignore it.  I’ve got a good FIOS connection so I don’t think it has anything to do with the Internet.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

That makes sense, but...
Hmmmm....
This has been going on for months, and I just got around to saying something, to see if others have had any similar occurrences, and what they might have done for this issue
??

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

K9PLX Chuck

It happens to me when I have left ACLog open for a while without using it. I’ve always just assumed it was a time-out on QRZ’s part to keep me from hogging bandwidth I wasn’t using.  After a restart of the app there’s never a recurrence unless/until I leave it alone too long. Just my 4 cents’ worth. 

----- No matter where you go, there you are.

On Dec 29, 2020, 11:39 -0600, Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>, wrote:
It happens to me once in a great while.  I know this doesn't help you, but sometimes it is a good idea to see what others get

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Larry Banks via groups.io <larryb.w1dyj=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

That makes sense, but...
Hmmmm....
??

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Social icon Social icon Social icon Social icon

Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

<image.png>

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

Bob Willey

Thanks for the update.
Yes, that is similar to me, when left open but unused for awhile
is exactly the symptoms for me.
I wonder if this is similar to the DX Spots not updating.
And when ACLog recently added the new feature to keep it active, that problem went away (Fantastic btw!!)

Hmmmm......

Maybe QRZ needs a "Keep Alive" kick in the pants by ACLog periodically?
Not sure how the connection is setup.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 1:05 PM K9PLX Chuck <dark.asteroid@...> wrote:
It happens to me when I have left ACLog open for a while without using it. I’ve always just assumed it was a time-out on QRZ’s part to keep me from hogging bandwidth I wasn’t using.  After a restart of the app there’s never a recurrence unless/until I leave it alone too long. Just my 4 cents’ worth. 

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob,

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

That makes sense, but...
Hmmmm....
??

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

<image.png>

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

--

James Goff

Similar thinking here....QRZ's version of 'screen saving'.

73, W1JHG 
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 1:05 PM K9PLX Chuck <dark.asteroid@...> wrote:
It happens to me when I have left ACLog open for a while without using it. I’ve always just assumed it was a time-out on QRZ’s part to keep me from hogging bandwidth I wasn’t using.  After a restart of the app there’s never a recurrence unless/until I leave it alone too long. Just my 4 cents’ worth. 

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob,

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

That makes sense, but...
Hmmmm....
??

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

<image.png>

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

Pat Whelton

I’ve been getting that message the first time I access QRZ via ACLog for years.  I’ve been ignoring it and the next time I enter a call via ACLog all is cool. 

I think it’s a Goblin or something.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 11:08 AM

Hi Bob,

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

That makes sense, but...

Hmmmm....

??

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. photo

Bob Willey
K3RLW

Image removed by sender. Social icon

Hi Bob,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. photo

Bob Willey
K3RLW

--

--

Fred K2DFC

Would be interesting to find out what the time out limit is with QRZ. Wonder if they would tell us.

What I do if ACLog is running and I'm not operating I enter a buddies call every couple of hours, it populates the info, then the Esc key, and it's good for a few more hours. His lookup count keeps going up and he's not even active.

--
Fred
K2DFC

Ken Bell

Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine. 
--
Ken - K4EES

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

It times out on from being logged into QRZ too long with no action.  Kind of a pain, but that is how they have it set.
We could always ask them about it, and see what they say.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Ken Bell <k4ees@...> wrote:
Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine. 
--
Ken - K4EES

Pat Whelton

Yea, that would be cool.  Having a hundred or so ACLog users bombarding AA7BQ Fred Lloyd with complaints asking why his software issues a timeout message when you don’t use it.  Good luck with that.

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lou Everett, Sr.
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 8:22 PM

It times out on from being logged into QRZ too long with no action.  Kind of a pain, but that is how they have it set.

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine. 
--
Ken - K4EES

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Please don't start filling up Fred's email inbox on this, too.

This one is a little trickier to code for as the site is QRZ specific and I almost never see the error message, but I have an idea to try and I will see what I can do.  It's on the list, so please let's wind up this thread for now.

Thanks guys.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2020 7:32 am

Yea, that would be cool.  Having a hundred or so ACLog users bombarding AA7BQ Fred Lloyd with complaints asking why his software issues a timeout message when you don’t use it.  Good luck with that.

Pat – KZ5J

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lou Everett, Sr.

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob

--
Ken - K4EES

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

I think I found a way to make this work.  If the QRZ server returns an error on lookup, AC Log will try the lookup a second time before displaying the error to you.  I am not getting the error, so I've not been able to test it and I really need your help.

Please uninstall your current version of AC Log, try 6.7.4 and see if this does the trick:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

73, Scott
N3FJP

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2020 7:51 am

Hi All,

This one is a little trickier to code for as the site is QRZ specific and I almost never see the error message, but I have an idea to try and I will see what I can do.  It's on the list, so please let's wind up this thread for now.

Thanks guys.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Pat – KZ5J

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob

--
Ken - K4EES

Bob Willey

Scott:
Just removed and reinstalled, now showing 6,7.4
and I will give it a whirl.
Based on your description, I highly suspect this will resolve the issue,
since you are mimiking exactly what all of use were doing anyway, a 2nd try.
Which always seemed to work.
Thanks VERY much.
Was not a show-stopper, but certainly annoying, now we can just enjoy your fantastic software and move into the wonderful new year of 2021 with high hopes of everything better and brighter.

Bob
P.S. Your and your teams support is just over-the-top, probably one of the best software companies in the industry.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 12:18 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Guys,

I think I found a way to make this work.  If the QRZ server returns an error on lookup, AC Log will try the lookup a second time before displaying the error to you.  I am not getting the error, so I've not been able to test it and I really need your help.

Please uninstall your current version of AC Log, try 6.7.4 and see if this does the trick:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

73, Scott
N3FJP

From: Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Dec 30, 2020 7:51 am

Hi All,

Thanks guys.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Pat – KZ5J

Lou WA5LOU

Hi Bob

--
Ken - K4EES

--