Topics

Get error accessing QRZ after any delay/pause

Bob Willey

If I have not used N3FJP for a bit (maybe an hour or more).
The first time I access a call sign, either by auto/WSJT-X or by typing one in, I get:
image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Just an inconvenience/annoyance.....
Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3
I do have an XML access to QRZ and logged in.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

(410) 251-8960 | K3RLW@...

http://qrz.com/db/K3RLW

5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3RLW

Scott Davis

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your e-mail.  That error is returned when QRZ does not respond, which could be caused by your Internet connection or the QRZ server itself.

If I have not used N3FJP for a bit (maybe an hour or more).
The first time I access a call sign, either by auto/WSJT-X or by typing one in, I get:
image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Just an inconvenience/annoyance.....
Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3
I do have an XML access to QRZ and logged in.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW
5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3RLW

Bob Willey

Thanks for the prompt reply.
That makes sense, but...
I have Atlantic Broadband Cable internet service which is pretty reliable
and it happens frequently, like several times a day, just enough to be annoying.
And every single time, I simply go to Callsign field and hit TAB and it populates, every time.
Strange, but just enough to be a bit frustrating.
Hmmmm....
This has been going on for months, and I just got around to saying something, to see if others have had any similar occurrences, and what they might have done for this issue.
??

Doesn't stop me, and if I don't catch it, it just keeps getting the error until I click OK and then it is fine and moves on, even if I don't click on the TAB button.  And then periodically I just just click on recent entries and use the
Edit > Fill Fields Determined by Call > Selected
to fill in any missing info.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Larry Banks

Hi Bob,

This happens to me too.   I’ve convinced myself it’s a QRZ issue with no real evidence.  I just ignore it.  I’ve got a good FIOS connection so I don’t think it has anything to do with the Internet.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

If I have not used N3FJP for a bit (maybe an hour or more).
The first time I access a call sign, either by auto/WSJT-X or by typing one in, I get:
image.png
If I immediately go to the callsign and TAB it will normally come up fine, after clicking OK in the above error message.

Just an inconvenience/annoyance.....
Any ideas where to look?
I am running 6.7.3
I do have an XML access to QRZ and logged in.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW
(410) 251-8960 | K3RLW@...
5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrzcom/db/K3RLW

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3RLW

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

It happens to me once in a great while.  I know this doesn't help you, but sometimes it is a good idea to see what others get
in the same circumstance.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Larry Banks via groups.io <larryb.w1dyj=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

K9PLX Chuck

It happens to me when I have left ACLog open for a while without using it. I’ve always just assumed it was a time-out on QRZ’s part to keep me from hogging bandwidth I wasn’t using.  After a restart of the app there’s never a recurrence unless/until I leave it alone too long. Just my 4 cents’ worth.

----- No matter where you go, there you are.

Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2020 11:52

[...]

Social icon Social icon Social icon Social icon

[...]

Thanks for the update.
Yes, that is similar to me, when left open but unused for awhile
is exactly the symptoms for me.
I wonder if this is similar to the DX Spots not updating.
And when ACLog recently added the new feature to keep it active, that problem went away (Fantastic btw!!)

Hmmmm......

Maybe QRZ needs a "Keep Alive" kick in the pants by ACLog periodically?
Not sure how the connection is setup.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 1:05 PM K9PLX Chuck <dark.asteroid@...> wrote:
[...]

James Goff

Similar thinking here....QRZ's version of 'screen saving'.

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

[...]

Pat Whelton

I’ve been getting that message the first time I access QRZ via ACLog for years.  I’ve been ignoring it and the next time I enter a call via ACLog all is cool.

I think it’s a Goblin or something.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

[...]

Image removed by sender.

Image removed by sender. photo

Bob Willey
K3RLW

(410) 251-8960 | K3RLW@...

http://qrz.com/db/K3RLW

5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

Image removed by sender. Social icon

[...]

Fred K2DFC

Would be interesting to find out what the time out limit is with QRZ. Wonder if they would tell us.

What I do if ACLog is running and I'm not operating I enter a buddies call every couple of hours, it populates the info, then the Esc key, and it's good for a few more hours. His lookup count keeps going up and he's not even active.

Fred
K2DFC

Ken Bell

Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine.
--
Ken - K4EES

Lou Everett, Sr. <loueverettsr@...>

It times out on from being logged into QRZ too long with no action.  Kind of a pain, but that is how they have it set.
We could always ask them about it, and see what they say.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Ken Bell <k4ees@...> wrote:
Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine.
--
Ken - K4EES

Pat Whelton

Yea, that would be cool.  Having a hundred or so ACLog users bombarding AA7BQ Fred Lloyd with complaints asking why his software issues a timeout message when you don’t use it.  Good luck with that.

Pat – KZ5J

It times out on from being logged into QRZ too long with no action.  Kind of a pain, but that is how they have it set.

We could always ask them about it, and see what they say.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Ken Bell <k4ees@...> wrote:

Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine.
--
Ken - K4EES

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Please don't start filling up Fred's email inbox on this, too.

This one is a little trickier to code for as the site is QRZ specific and I almost never see the error message, but I have an idea to try and I will see what I can do.  It's on the list, so please let's wind up this thread for now.

Thanks guys.

Yea, that would be cool.  Having a hundred or so ACLog users bombarding AA7BQ Fred Lloyd with complaints asking why his software issues a timeout message when you don’t use it.  Good luck with that.

Pat – KZ5J

It times out on from being logged into QRZ too long with no action.  Kind of a pain, but that is how they have it set.
We could always ask them about it, and see what they say.

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 7:35 PM Ken Bell <k4ees@...> wrote:
Hi Bob

Happens here the first time I access ACLog after leaving it idle for some period of time, like breaking for lunch or if I should leave it open overnight.  Only once, then it works fine.
--
Ken - K4EES

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

I think I found a way to make this work.  If the QRZ server returns an error on lookup, AC Log will try the lookup a second time before displaying the error to you.  I am not getting the error, so I've not been able to test it and I really need your help.

Please uninstall your current version of AC Log, try 6.7.4 and see if this does the trick:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe