Topics

General software suggestions

JammerX19 <jodyfarr@...>

Winter Field Day 2020 was a success for our club and we've been long time registered software users.  We had a couple hiccups because our primary IT guy wasn't there (me) so the setup didn't go exactly right, but in sorting it, I came up with a couple suggestions.  My apologies in advance if these are already known and/or there's a workaround I'm not currently aware of to handle it.

Suggestion #1: Make all N3FJP logging apps run only one instance on a PC at a time.  Someone fired up two copies of the WFD N3FJP software on our server laptop and as a result, every contact made by any of the other laptops on the network wound up being duplicated in the database.  If only one copy could be running at any one time on the PCs, this issue would disappear.  Developer note: In C# this is handled with the Mutex class in the System.Threading library.

Suggestion #2: For networked instances, make it easier for disconnected stations to reconcile once they reconnect.  Our CW operator showed up late, fired up his laptop without getting on the network, and banged out 100 or so contacts before anyone realized his logs weren't in the group's database.  When I figured this out, I put him on the network and connected him to the server, which had the affect of making all his contacts disappear.  In a panic, I put him back in single user mode and figured I'd sort it out later.  It would be nice if in this situation a dialog would come up and ask if we wanted to migrate the single user database to the server to consolidate the contacts.

Hope this is helpful.

Scott Davis

Hi JammexX19,

Thanks for taking the time to send along your thoughts and suggestions.  I really appreciate it.

Regarding #2, it is very easy to add another user later in the contest, if he simply connects to the server (if TCP) or shared file (in File Share mode), as any client would, at any point in the contest.

In you case, instead of properly connecting, he started his own database.  Regardless of whether he began at the start of the contest along with everyone else, or later, since he was building a separate database, you simply need to import his QSOs into the master via ADIF and continue, which will instantly reconcile the group database.

Thanks again.

[...]

W5DET

I have some very dated experience from Scott's side of the User Interface:  It isn't possible to program around all the ignorant, idiotic, and/or stupid things people will do even after they've received training.  Scott will probably say that much more nicely but. either way, it's true.

--Doug, W5DET