From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mack Avery KJ5MA
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 6:20 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Fox Mike Hotel Portable Ops Challenge #contest

Will there be a contest version released for the upcoming Fox Mike Hotel Portable Operations Challenge?
Thanks!

Scott Davis

Hi Mack,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Not for 2020, but I will consider it for the future.  For more on the criteria and why...

All of my contesting software, over 120 programs, are contest specific. Each program is specifically designed with one contest in mind.  I'm doing my best to create contest specific applications that each perform their intended function very well, so they generally are not adaptable to other contests for which they were not designed.

I wish it were possible to quickly write stand alone programs for every contest out there.  While many aspects of the code are shared among programs, there is much that has to be created and customized for each contest that is far from trivial.  Adding an additional program typically takes several weeks.  There is also the maintenance of 120+ programs to consider.  Each time I add an enhancement, when the code change is not shared, it requires me carefully updating sections of code in each individual program.  Either way, I then have to compile and upload 120+ programs, which is a major task.  At this stage, maintaining and supporting all the programs that I've already created has become more than a full time effort.  It is in all of our best interests that I am very careful about adding any more straws to the back of this camel.

In the past, I have rushed to support new contests out of the gate and wound up wasting time as a result.  In some cases, contest sponsors even contact me to work with them from the start, which sounds good until they decide to completely change the rules at the last minute, after I have already spent weeks of work on the project, or abandon the project entirely.  In other cases, contests I supported lasted for a time, but were then abandoned, such as the Mid Atlantic QSO Party, Great Lakes QSO Party, Kid's Round up, etc.  Having learned my lesson, I now typically wait 2-3 years after a new contest is introduced to add support, to make sure the rules are not in flux and participation is increasing.

I understand the desire to be able to have a customizable program that can be quickly configured for every contest.  That will be a fresh, major, multi-year project that is more than I can take on alone, but there are some really exciting events unfolding that are going to enable my son Chris, KB3KCN to take a much more active role with me in the future development of N3FJP Software!  Eventually, we hope that my son Brad, KB3MNE will be able to take a more active role as well.  It is at least several years out and still in the earliest brainstorming phase, but a single, customizable program that will be more easily adapted to new and currently unsupported contests is definitely part of that long term, future vision!

Thanks for asking!