Topics

Fox Mike Hotel Portable Ops Challenge #contest

Mack Avery KJ5MA

Will there be a contest version released for the upcoming Fox Mike Hotel Portable Operations Challenge?
Thanks!

Pat Whelton

Good luck on that.  How about one for the QRP Fox Hunts.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mack Avery KJ5MA
Sent: Sunday, September 20, 2020 6:20 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Fox Mike Hotel Portable Ops Challenge #contest

Will there be a contest version released for the upcoming Fox Mike Hotel Portable Operations Challenge?
Thanks!

Scott Davis

Hi Mack,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Not for 2020, but I will consider it for the future.  For more on the criteria and why...

All of my contesting software, over 120 programs, are contest specific. Each program is specifically designed with one contest in mind.  I'm doing my best to create contest specific applications that each perform their intended function very well, so they generally are not adaptable to other contests for which they were not designed.

I wish it were possible to quickly write stand alone programs for every contest out there.  While many aspects of the code are shared among programs, there is much that has to be created and customized for each contest that is far from trivial.  Adding an additional program typically takes several weeks.  There is also the maintenance of 120+ programs to consider.  Each time I add an enhancement, when the code change is not shared, it requires me carefully updating sections of code in each individual program.  Either way, I then have to compile and upload 120+ programs, which is a major task.  At this stage, maintaining and supporting all the programs that I've already created has become more than a full time effort.  It is in all of our best interests that I am very careful about adding any more straws to the back of this camel.

In the past, I have rushed to support new contests out of the gate and wound up wasting time as a result.  In some cases, contest sponsors even contact me to work with them from the start, which sounds good until they decide to completely change the rules at the last minute, after I have already spent weeks of work on the project, or abandon the project entirely.  In other cases, contests I supported lasted for a time, but were then abandoned, such as the Mid Atlantic QSO Party, Great Lakes QSO Party, Kid's Round up, etc.  Having learned my lesson, I now typically wait 2-3 years after a new contest is introduced to add support, to make sure the rules are not in flux and participation is increasing.

I understand the desire to be able to have a customizable program that can be quickly configured for every contest.  That will be a fresh, major, multi-year project that is more than I can take on alone, but there are some really exciting events unfolding that are going to enable my son Chris, KB3KCN to take a much more active role with me in the future development of N3FJP Software!  Eventually, we hope that my son Brad, KB3MNE will be able to take a more active role as well.  It is at least several years out and still in the earliest brainstorming phase, but a single, customizable program that will be more easily adapted to new and currently unsupported contests is definitely part of that long term, future vision!  

Thanks for asking!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Sep 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Thanks!

Mack Avery KJ5MA

Scott, thanks for the great response and background on your operation.  I can certainly understand your reluctance to try to juggle any more balls in the air.  You have great products and they have worked well for me for many years.
mack

Mike Olbrisch

Scott, good morning sir.  And my best to Kimberly and your family.

I only have one question.  Sorry, but I just can’t contain my curiosity.  Does that camel have one hump, or two humps? 

I rode a 1-hump camel in the Persian Gulf in 1990.  I had a cargo vehicle that had a slipping clutch.  Motor Sgt said they wouldn’t work on it until it wouldn’t move anymore.  Oh-Kay…….  I and a driver took it out in the sand and drove it until it was 100% broke.  We paid a Bedouin herder $5 each to ride his camels back to the compound gate. One of the fun parts of the war…..

Hey, I love your programs, and you do an amazing job on support.  Sometimes I wonder how you remain so patient and calm in the face of some of it.  I suppose that it helps if you can’t reach into the screen and strangle anyone.

As ever, I encourage anyone with the answer to help someone grab it and send the reply so Scott can keep on programming.  And for anyone having issues with a program, I highly encourage you to investigate the HELP page.  The more we can do on our own without involving Scott, the more he can stay on writing code instead of answering questions.

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

Last, to all you power users, consider this.  If you are really good at some part of AC-Log or a contest program that seems to confuse many, consider compiling your knowledge into a document, and submit it to Scott for inclusion in the help section.  The more us users can do to handle troubles among the users, the easier it is for Scott to stay on the main task.

Y-all have a SUPER day.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Fox Mike Hotel Portable Ops Challenge #contest

Hi Mack,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Not for 2020, but I will consider it for the future.  For more on the criteria and why...

All of my contesting software, over 120 programs, are contest specific. Each program is specifically designed with one contest in mind.  I'm doing my best to create contest specific applications that each perform their intended function very well, so they generally are not adaptable to other contests for which they were not designed.

I wish it were possible to quickly write stand alone programs for every contest out there.  While many aspects of the code are shared among programs, there is much that has to be created and customized for each contest that is far from trivial.  Adding an additional program typically takes several weeks.  There is also the maintenance of 120+ programs to consider.  Each time I add an enhancement, when the code change is not shared, it requires me carefully updating sections of code in each individual program.  Either way, I then have to compile and upload 120+ programs, which is a major task.  At this stage, maintaining and supporting all the programs that I've already created has become more than a full time effort.  It is in all of our best interests that I am very careful about adding any more straws to the back of this camel.

In the past, I have rushed to support new contests out of the gate and wound up wasting time as a result.  In some cases, contest sponsors even contact me to work with them from the start, which sounds good until they decide to completely change the rules at the last minute, after I have already spent weeks of work on the project, or abandon the project entirely.  In other cases, contests I supported lasted for a time, but were then abandoned, such as the Mid Atlantic QSO Party, Great Lakes QSO Party, Kid's Round up, etc.  Having learned my lesson, I now typically wait 2-3 years after a new contest is introduced to add support, to make sure the rules are not in flux and participation is increasing.

I understand the desire to be able to have a customizable program that can be quickly configured for every contest.  That will be a fresh, major, multi-year project that is more than I can take on alone, but there are some really exciting events unfolding that are going to enable my son Chris, KB3KCN to take a much more active role with me in the future development of N3FJP Software!  Eventually, we hope that my son Brad, KB3MNE will be able to take a more active role as well.  It is at least several years out and still in the earliest brainstorming phase, but a single, customizable program that will be more easily adapted to new and currently unsupported contests is definitely part of that long term, future vision!  

Thanks for asking!

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Thanks!

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for your kind words, encouragement (to me and other users), willingness to help and great suggestions Mike!  Yes, the more documentation I can add to the site, the better for all of us!

This is definitely a two hump camel!  :)

Thanks again!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Sep 21, 2020 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Fox Mike Hotel Portable Ops Challenge #contest

Scott, good morning sir.  And my best to Kimberly and your family.

I only have one question.  Sorry, but I just can’t contain my curiosity.  Does that camel have one hump, or two humps? 

I rode a 1-hump camel in the Persian Gulf in 1990.  I had a cargo vehicle that had a slipping clutch.  Motor Sgt said they wouldn’t work on it until it wouldn’t move anymore.  Oh-Kay…….  I and a driver took it out in the sand and drove it until it was 100% broke.  We paid a Bedouin herder $5 each to ride his camels back to the compound gate. One of the fun parts of the war…..

Hey, I love your programs, and you do an amazing job on support.  Sometimes I wonder how you remain so patient and calm in the face of some of it.  I suppose that it helps if you can’t reach into the screen and strangle anyone.

As ever, I encourage anyone with the answer to help someone grab it and send the reply so Scott can keep on programming.  And for anyone having issues with a program, I highly encourage you to investigate the HELP page.  The more we can do on our own without involving Scott, the more he can stay on writing code instead of answering questions.

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

Last, to all you power users, consider this.  If you are really good at some part of AC-Log or a contest program that seems to confuse many, consider compiling your knowledge into a document, and submit it to Scott for inclusion in the help section.  The more us users can do to handle troubles among the users, the easier it is for Scott to stay on the main task.

Y-all have a SUPER day.

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.
And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2020 4:46 AM

Hi Mack,

Thanks for asking!

Enjoy!
73, Scott
N3FJP

Thanks!