Topics

Flex Radio

JoAnn Donaldson

I am looking at buying a new Radio and so far all my research is pointing to the Flex. does it have FT8 built in or do I just interface it like I have done with my FT1000MP?

JoAnn - AB8YZ

Lester Shields

It does not have any soundcard modems (psk, ft-8, etc,) built in. You still have to use a computer.

Les

Scott - KA2K

https://groups.io/g/FlexRadioSmartSDR

Dave Hamm, K4EET

Hi JoAnn,

The FlexRadio series is a great lineup! I have a FLEX-6500 and am very pleased with its superior performance. The main difference in digital operations from your Yaesu FT-1000MP is that you no longer need a modem like Tigertronics' SignaLink or West Mountain Radio's RIGblaster between your computer and your transceiver. The FlexRadio series connects directly to your computer. Read the article that Scott, KA2K, referenced in his post. Let us know if you have any questions.

73, Dave K4EET

JoAnn Donaldson

Dave,
   I think you summed it up really good. That is what I was wondering about. So far the evidence is siding with the Flex Radio. I will take another look at the link.

Thank You,

JoAnn Donaldson