Topics

Field Day and Winter Field Day loggers under Linux Wine Revisited

bill burrows

I found this individual who posted simple instructions for making the loggers work under Wine.
It is unclear who they are and I could find no way to contact them.  No call letters on the site that I could find.

They also claim networking works as well.

The instructions are much simpler than the information on the N3FJP web site.

Basic instructions are:

Install winetricks if not already installed

Create a 32bit Wine Prefix - VERY IMPORTANT

Install the following into the 32bit wine prefix with winetricks:

dotnet40
mdac28
jet40

Then run the logger installer(s)

Then you will have some .desktop files on your desktop that you can use to launch the loggers

The .lnk files are not functional

It works on PCLinuxOS (64 bit OS) except for the TCP networking.

There was one important detail that I discovered, the Wine Prefix you use must be 32 bit.

It seems that jet40 only runs as 32bit.

So, having said all this, has anybody had the networking features work under wine?

And also does anybody know what windows components might be needed for networking to function?

I am thinking maybe there is another component that might be needed besides the three listed that needs to be installed with winetricks.

It also might be possible that networking might work with wine using a 32bit Linux Distro.  I have not tried this since my daily driver is 64bit.

Perhaps some info on what windows features the TCP networking relies on might shed light on what is failing in the wine compatibility layer.

As best as I can determine there is some provision for networking in wine as used in gaming, but it is not clear if this would enable TCP networking as used in N3fjp software.

I have done some testing of the logger under wine and it seems to work flawlessly except for the networking.

Scott Davis

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for the great information.  These are likely the relevant references my software uses for Windows TCP networking:

using System.Net;
using System.Net.Sockets;
using System.Threading;

[...]

Thanks Scott.  I will see if I can puzzle those clues out.  I did try MX19 linux 32bit and the whole wine install process failed at installing Dotnet40.
It seems like a bug seen as far back as 5 years ago.  Maybe 32bit code is not being maintained.

I still am hoping for other people who have tried running the loggers under linux to report how much success they have had with it.

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 3:10:28 AM PST, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <snkdavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Sometimes even a blind hog finds a truffle.

I got networking to work via TCP between a linux box running PClinuxOS (64bit) wine 4.0.1 and an old netbook runing windows XP 32 bit.

The secret is that when running under wine, the Names of computers don't seem to be resolved to IP addresses.  The networking immediately ran when I typed an IP address into the server name or IP: window (ie 192.168.0.9 in my case).

Way Cool.  So now it does seem possible to run WFD logger under linux using wine.  I will do further tests with (summer) Field Day and maybe 7QP party logger.

I am hoping Scott has used a common code base for the program functions.

I encourage everybody who is interested in using linux and Scotts programs to try this out.

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 6:21:30 PM PST, bill burrows via Groups.Io <wa7ncl@...> wrote:

[...]

Super, thanks for the great information!

Yes, all my software share the same networking class.  They all reference the exact same file, so they are guaranteed to be identical.

I am curious if the Edit and Delete command buttons work?  That was one thing my son found to be a problem when he tried to use the previous instructions.

If you would be willing to consolidate this thread into the essential steps from start to finish, I would love to replace the Linux FAQ accordingly on the web site.

Thanks again Bill!

[...]

Yes I am working on some more testing and I will try to find a contest I can do that will test more thoroughly.

I have the start of some instructions that will have the essential points in them and will assume that the installer is knowledgeable in Linux.
I will also try to make it distro non-specific.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 3:42:51 AM PST, Scott Davis via Groups.Io <snkdavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Awesome Bill, thanks loads!  I really appreciate it!  :)