Field Day 6.6 issue #newrelease #contest


Laird Solomon
 

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 

I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird


Scott Davis
 

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird


Laird Solomon
 

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.

Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.

73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Scott Davis
 

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  Your protection software is returning a false positive for that file and clamping down on it.  You can either give the file / program the proper permissions in your protection software, or click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing):

Capture.PNG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.
Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Laird Solomon
 

What are you referring to when you say "protection software"?  I turned my antivirus off and it made no difference. 

73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:31 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  Your protection software is returning a false positive for that file and clamping down on it.  You can either give the file / program the proper permissions in your protection software, or click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing):


Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.
Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Scott Davis
 

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I am referring to whatever program or operating system is intervening on the permissions of the file.  Once you correct the permissions, so that the software has write access, you will no longer see the error.

If you are certain your protection software is not causing it, you may also want to check the Windows security settings on that file.  This was written with Field Day in mind, but steps 2 and 3 will give you an idea of how to check for and change the settings, if that is what is causing the permissions problem.

http://www.n3fjp.com/FDInfoTips.html#networkingtips

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

What are you referring to when you say "protection software"?  I turned my antivirus off and it made no difference. 
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:31 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  Your protection software is returning a false positive for that file and clamping down on it.  You can either give the file / program the proper permissions in your protection software, or click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing):

Capture.PNG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.
Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Laird Solomon
 

Hi Scott, I have full read and write to that directory and file.  I can rename it.  I can browse to it with File Exporer and open it with Notepad, make changes, and save it.  I have Full Control rights.  This is just really odd. 

73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:45 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I am referring to whatever program or operating system is intervening on the permissions of the file.  Once you correct the permissions, so that the software has write access, you will no longer see the error.

If you are certain your protection software is not causing it, you may also want to check the Windows security settings on that file.  This was written with Field Day in mind, but steps 2 and 3 will give you an idea of how to check for and change the settings, if that is what is causing the permissions problem.


Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

What are you referring to when you say "protection software"?  I turned my antivirus off and it made no difference. 
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:31 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  Your protection software is returning a false positive for that file and clamping down on it.  You can either give the file / program the proper permissions in your protection software, or click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing):

Capture.PNG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.
Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com


Scott Davis
 

Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  If you are unable to find what is clamping down on the history file, just click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing).  That way the software will no longer attempt to load or save the file.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Jun 21, 2021 8:14 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi Scott, I have full read and write to that directory and file.  I can rename it.  I can browse to it with File Exporer and open it with Notepad, make changes, and save it.  I have Full Control rights.  This is just really odd. 
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:45 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I am referring to whatever program or operating system is intervening on the permissions of the file.  Once you correct the permissions, so that the software has write access, you will no longer see the error.

If you are certain your protection software is not causing it, you may also want to check the Windows security settings on that file.  This was written with Field Day in mind, but steps 2 and 3 will give you an idea of how to check for and change the settings, if that is what is causing the permissions problem.


Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:38 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

What are you referring to when you say "protection software"?  I turned my antivirus off and it made no difference. 
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
President, North Shore ARC - www.ve3osh.com
On 6/16/21 3:31 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your follow up.  I'm sorry that you are still having trouble.  Your protection software is returning a false positive for that file and clamping down on it.  You can either give the file / program the proper permissions in your protection software, or click Settings > History File and deselect the option to use it (Enable History File Processing):

Capture.PNG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

I already tried renaming the file so it would be forced to create a new one but to no avail.  Still got the same error.
Why would internet security settings have anything to do with a file stored locally on my PC?  I tried turning my antivirus off but that did not do anything as I still got the error.
73,

Laird Solomon, VE3LKS
On 6/16/21 1:08 p.m., Scott Davis via groups.io wrote:
Hi Laird,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you've run into trouble.  You Internet security settings are clamping down on that file.  Giving the file the proper permissions in your protection software will correct that.  

You may just be able to deleted the file and then, when it is recreated next time you close the software, hopefully your protection software won't again clamp down on it again.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP


Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...


-----Original Message-----
From: Laird Solomon via groups.io <ve3lks@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 16, 2021 11:58 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Field Day 6.6 issue #contest #newrelease

Hi, I am testing the 6.6 version of the Field Day software and created a new log file for this year.  However, when I exit out of the software I am getting a message indicating that I do not have access to the ContestHistory.txt file.  No entries get added to that file. 
I do have "full control" access to that folder and file so not sure what is triggering this error.  The new Field Day log file that I created is fine.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Laird

Virus-free. www.avg.com