Topics

Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5.1!

Scott Davis

Hi All,

I think I have cleaned up the resizing anomalies that came to light yesterday on AC Log's main form and LoTW form.  Would you please give 6.8.5.1 beta a try with your setup and let me know how you make out.  Everyone's testing will be a great help, but if you have customized AC Log's main form, I especially need you to give this beta a try.

Again, you shouldn't expect perfection as you drag the form significantly outside of its intended design ratio, or make it REALLY small, but both forms seem to be behaving very well on both my 1920 X 1080 and 3840 X 2160 monitors.  Here is a screen shot on my 4K monitor:

Capture.JPG

I did disable the auto resize feature when dragging the form to a different resolution.  As some folks commented, the message box asking if you wanted to resize was disorienting and since you can easily resize as you like anyway, if you want, I've set that feature aside for now.

So, here are the things to test (please try these on both forms):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly (AC Log only has the maximize button).

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

Please go ahead and install AC Log 6.8.5.1.  There is no need to uninstall the previous version:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Please let me know how you make out!

Thanks loads for your help!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 4:50 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, you can absolutely test the first three items with a single monitor setup.  In fact, the first three are the most important to test anyway and I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 4:45 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott, just got off night shift so excuse if this question is irrelevant.  I have only one monitor on my logging computer.  However, I have two very large monitors on the main computer, but they are both the same and of equal resolution.   Is there any useful feedback my system could provide?  Or is this all in the realm of those who run dis-similar monitors and it would be meaningless on my system.  I do not run AC-Log on the dual-monitor computer at all.  But I could install it if it will be helpful to you. 

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career.  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.
And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an
ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 13:38 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Hi All,

I've been working hard on the screen sizing code for AC Log.  This is tougher than it sounds under any circumstance, but especially with all the AC Log customization options AC Log provides.  

There are so many combinations of screen resolutions and user customizations, I really need this code tested extensively by many of you, to help ensure it is ready for release.

With 6.8.5, you should be able to perform the following (assuming your Form Size value is set to 100% (Settings > Appearance > Form Size)):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

-  If you drag the form to another monitor with a different a resolution, you will be given the option to rescale the form to the destination monitor's resolution.

If you don't want AC Log to scale smaller when you drag an edge, click Settings > Appearance > Form size and enter any value other than 100, as user customized values will override the auto scale.

I also added an option on Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts where you can select a font size separately for the menu bar.

So far, I've only coded these behaviors in AC Log's main form and the LoTW form.  This is taking significant time, so before I go any further, I really need your testing, to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I should mention that the font scaling assumes that you are keeping the form somewhere close to the intended design dimension ratio.  You should not expect the fonts to continue to display properly if you stray too far from the form's intended layout.

Please go ahead and give AC Log 6.8.5 beta a try and let me know how you make out!  With the new installer, you should be able to just run this file, without the need to uninstall 6.8 first:

I am eager to hear your feedback!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Bob Willey

Scott:
So much easier moving from one screen to another with different sizing.
So much nicer..

Great job!
Bob

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

(410) 251-8960 | K3RLW@...

http://qrz.com/db/K3RLW

5161 Ocean Gateway, Trappe Maryland 21673-2023 USA

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

I think I have cleaned up the resizing anomalies that came to light yesterday on AC Log's main form and LoTW form.  Would you please give 6.8.5.1 beta a try with your setup and let me know how you make out.  Everyone's testing will be a great help, but if you have customized AC Log's main form, I especially need you to give this beta a try.

Again, you shouldn't expect perfection as you drag the form significantly outside of its intended design ratio, or make it REALLY small, but both forms seem to be behaving very well on both my 1920 X 1080 and 3840 X 2160 monitors.  Here is a screen shot on my 4K monitor:

Capture.JPG

I did disable the auto resize feature when dragging the form to a different resolution.  As some folks commented, the message box asking if you wanted to resize was disorienting and since you can easily resize as you like anyway, if you want, I've set that feature aside for now.

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly (AC Log only has the maximize button).

Please go ahead and install AC Log 6.8.5.1.  There is no need to uninstall the previous version:

73, Scott
N3FJP

From: Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io>

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, you can absolutely test the first three items with a single monitor setup.  In fact, the first three are the most important to test anyway and I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott, just got off night shift so excuse if this question is irrelevant.  I have only one monitor on my logging computer.  However, I have two very large monitors on the main computer, but they are both the same and of equal resolution.   Is there any useful feedback my system could provide?  Or is this all in the realm of those who run dis-similar monitors and it would be meaningless on my system.  I do not run AC-Log on the dual-monitor computer at all.  But I could install it if it will be helpful to you. 

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career.  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Hi All,

I've been working hard on the screen sizing code for AC Log.  This is tougher than it sounds under any circumstance, but especially with all the AC Log customization options AC Log provides.  

There are so many combinations of screen resolutions and user customizations, I really need this code tested extensively by many of you, to help ensure it is ready for release.

With 6.8.5, you should be able to perform the following (assuming your Form Size value is set to 100% (Settings > Appearance > Form Size)):

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.

-  If you drag the form to another monitor with a different a resolution, you will be given the option to rescale the form to the destination monitor's resolution.

If you don't want AC Log to scale smaller when you drag an edge, click Settings > Appearance > Form size and enter any value other than 100, as user customized values will override the auto scale.

I also added an option on Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts where you can select a font size separately for the menu bar.

So far, I've only coded these behaviors in AC Log's main form and the LoTW form.  This is taking significant time, so before I go any further, I really need your testing, to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I should mention that the font scaling assumes that you are keeping the form somewhere close to the intended design dimension ratio.  You should not expect the fonts to continue to display properly if you stray too far from the form's intended layout.

Please go ahead and give AC Log 6.8.5 beta a try and let me know how you make out!  With the new installer, you should be able to just run this file, without the need to uninstall 6.8 first:

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

--
Bob Willey - K3RLW - Trappe MD
https://www.qrz.com/db/K3RLW

Bob Willey

Moving between screens which is what I initially tested, is so much nicer.
However, when it resizes, it jumbles up the screen.
See the attached image, it moves the Call Date Band Mode 
and all the fields down and into the Spotting area.

image.png

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:04 PM Bob Willey via groups.io <bobwilley=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Scott:
So much nicer..

Great job!
Bob

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

--

--

Scott Davis

Hi Bob,

What resolution are you running on your monitor?  Which corner of the form did you grab to resize?

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Mar 2, 2021 6:07 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5.1!

image.png

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:04 PM Bob Willey via groups.io <bobwilley=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Scott:
So much nicer..

Great job!
Bob

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

--

--

Bob Willey

Bottom Left Corner
I have now grabbed all 4 corners and the middle of screen does not correct.

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 6:22 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bob,

What resolution are you running on your monitor?  Which corner of the form did you grab to resize?

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Mar 2, 2021 6:07 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5.1!

image.png

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Scott:
So much nicer..

Great job!
Bob

photo
Bob Willey
K3RLW

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

--

--

--

Jr - VE9ZZ

Hi Scott, I've been following this thread since the beginning and decided to give it a try on my HP Laptop, 15.5 display at 1366x768 recommended resolution, running Windows 10 v20H2. When I grab any of the corners the screen shrinks  but some of the menu is covered as well as the find box. I had rearranged some columns to suit my POTA contacts, maybe that has some effects. I enclose a screenshot to show you what it looks like. 

Tom Ellis

Scott,

Here are my screens with dragging the lower right corner and setting the form size to 60%.

This is on a Dell 19” monitor running a resolution of 1440 X 900.

The first picture is the 60%

This is the Drag from lower right corner.

Tom

K5TEE

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io [mailto:N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 3:42 PM
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5.1!

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott

N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Kevin Gray

Scott,

After a resize, by grabbing bottom right, then top left corners, and also double clicking the title bar or clicking the maximize button, I end up with menus that are almost covered.

Resetting the form size to 100% then restarting restored the top menu

I’m using the default resolution and recommended setting on this laptop.

Kevin

N9VPV

Sent: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 4:42 PM
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5.1!

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott

N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Jr - VE9ZZ

Ok Scott I believe I had not maximized ACLog when I tried this. It was at 100% form size but not maximized. My bad. Here's a second screenshot this time maximized then reduced by grabbing the top left corner. Seems to be all right. 

Scott Davis

Thanks Tom, there are no changes in font or sizing behavior for any form size setting other than 100%.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Mar 2, 2021 7:41 pm

Scott,

Here are my screens with dragging the lower right corner and setting the form size to 60%.

Tom
K5TEE

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io [mailto:N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io] On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Scott Davis

Thanks guys,

Okay, let me chew on this for a time.  It's tough when I can't duplicate some of what you all have sent along, but I'm not ready to give up quite yet.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Hi Scott, I've been following this thread since the beginning and decided to give it a try on my HP Laptop, 15.5 display at 1366x768 recommended resolution, running Windows 10 v20H2. When I grab any of the corners the screen shrinks  but some of the menu is covered as well as the find box. I had rearranged some columns to suit my POTA contacts, maybe that has some effects. I enclose a screenshot to show you what it looks like. 

Tom Ellis

Scott,

Sorry, you miss interpreted what I was saying.

The first picture is the 60% sizing, the second picture is 100% but corner drag.

Both show overlaps in the fonts and enter fields.

Tom

K5TEE

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 6:29 PM

Thanks Tom, there are no changes in font or sizing behavior for any form size setting other than 100%.

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott,

Tom

K5TEE

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%)

73, Scott

N3FJP

Hi Mike,

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Hi All,

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%)

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Rick Hall

Scott,

The second beta is working well for me.

I did have to increase the font sizes so that the text does not get too small when I grab the corner and reduce the size of the window to about one fourth of the monitor space.  Main list font is set to 14, text box is 18.   After I set the font sizes and grab the corner of the window to reduce it to my ‘normal’ size… I then have to stop and restart ACLog so that the headings and titles are properly sized and the bottom of their text is not overlayed.  Then as long as I don’t resize the window again, everything stays okay thru subsequent stop/start cycles.  At this point the changes are a definite improvement.

73,  Rick – K5GZR

Scott Davis

Thanks for your good report and encouragement Rick!  

What screen resolution(s) are you running?  I'm still trying to figure out why some folks are having trouble.

73, Scott, N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Mar 3, 2021 8:54 am

Scott,
I did have to increase the font sizes so that the text does not get too small when I grab the corner and reduce the size of the window to about one fourth of the monitor space.  Main list font is set to 14, text box is 18.   After I set the font sizes and grab the corner of the window to reduce it to my ‘normal’ size… I then have to stop and restart ACLog so that the headings and titles are properly sized and the bottom of their text is not overlayed.  Then as long as I don’t resize the window again, everything stays okay thru subsequent stop/start cycles.  At this point the changes are a definite improvement.
73,  Rick – K5GZR

Rick Hall

Scott,

Monitor 1 is a Dell U2412M at 1920 x 1200

Monitor 2 is an antique Dell E172FP1 at 1280 x 1024

Display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce GT 635

Windows 10 Pro V 2004 19041.804

Rick

Jim Polewczak

i have a pretty plain jane setup, 2 monitors , both 1920 X 1080.  Resizing works very well.  During testing I changed one monitor to be 2560 X 1440 and I had no difficulties.  For me it's a keeper.  Thanks Scott.
Jim KG2H

K7GA

Perfect, Scott!  HD 36” TV - main screen for shack - and  moving ACL over to 27” HD HP monitor and it adjusts just fine. The only quirky item is the “CY” is cut off in FREQUENCY (ok maximized). BZ!  73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Mar 3, 2021, at 07:21, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Thanks for your good report and encouragement Rick!  

What screen resolution(s) are you running?  I'm still trying to figure out why some folks are having trouble.

73, Scott, N3FJP

Sent: Wed, Mar 3, 2021 8:54 am

Scott,
73,  Rick – K5GZR

John AA6ZT

Hi Scott,

Things are better, however, there are a couple of issues. I use a single 32" monitor as available space is at a premium. So, I pack the screen with, JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, ACL, and QRZ via Firefox. ACL is reduced to the lower 1/3rd. Yes. There is a lot of squeezing.
When ACL beta is full-frame, the main fonts are Bold 14pt., label fonts are bold 12pt, and the text box fonts are bold 12pt. This is so I don't need reading glasses. When ACL is reduced to the lower 1/3rd, everything, including fonts, is reduced. The top row headers and the text box labels are pushed below the information display below. (see pix)

I would prefer the fonts and the headers/labels remain at their native size regardless of the screen size.

Thanks,
John, AA6ZT

Scott Davis

Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail.  To preserve existing sizing regardless of form size, click Settings > Appearance > Form Size and enter any value other than 100.  Your customized selection will override the auto scale to new form size and maintain any fonts you have customized as well..

Three things:

-  The scaling is not specific to individual controls.  

-  Since the 8.5.1 beta, I have been continuing to work hard, refining the scaling behavior further.  The difference is subtle, but I think better.  I should have another beta early next week for you all to try.  

-  This sizing feature will definitely not satisfy everyone.  If you contort the form, have expectations of large fonts regardless of size, are running a resolution less than 1920 X 1080, etc., you will probably want to keep the existing behavior by simply not manually resizing the form, or entering a form size other than 100%.  The folks that will find the new sizing features most useful are those running larger monitors at resolutions higher than 1920 X 1080.  In short, this will be a new tool for those that need it, while the software can easily be configured to continue to behave as always for those that don't.

More early next week!

Enjoy ARRL DX SSB this weekend!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Scott,

Things are better, however, there are a couple of issues. I use a single 32" monitor as available space is at a premium. So, I pack the screen with, JTDX, JTAlert, Gridtracker, ACL, and QRZ via Firefox. ACL is reduced to the lower 1/3rd. Yes. There is a lot of squeezing.
When ACL beta is full-frame, the main fonts are Bold 14pt., label fonts are bold 12pt, and the text box fonts are bold 12pt. This is so I don't need reading glasses. When ACL is reduced to the lower 1/3rd, everything, including fonts, is reduced. The top row headers and the text box labels are pushed below the information display below. (see pix)
I would prefer the fonts and the headers/labels remain at their native size regardless of the screen size.

Thanks,
John, AA6ZT

Jay

Scott,
Thanks for all the work on this.
I am very appreciative of the work to be able to scale this down on the 4K monitors!!!

- Jay N1AV

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 3:35 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for your e-mail.  To preserve existing sizing regardless of form size, click Settings > Appearance > Form Size and enter any value other than 100.  Your customized selection will override the auto scale to new form size and maintain any fonts you have customized as well..

Three things:

-  The scaling is not specific to individual controls.  

-  Since the 8.5.1 beta, I have been continuing to work hard, refining the scaling behavior further.  The difference is subtle, but I think better.  I should have another beta early next week for you all to try.  

-  This sizing feature will definitely not satisfy everyone.  If you contort the form, have expectations of large fonts regardless of size, are running a resolution less than 1920 X 1080, etc., you will probably want to keep the existing behavior by simply not manually resizing the form, or entering a form size other than 100%.  The folks that will find the new sizing features most useful are those running larger monitors at resolutions higher than 1920 X 1080.  In short, this will be a new tool for those that need it, while the software can easily be configured to continue to behave as always for those that don't.

More early next week!

Enjoy ARRL DX SSB this weekend!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Fri, Mar 5, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Scott,

Thanks,
John, AA6ZT