Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott Davis

Hi All,

I've been working hard on the screen sizing code for AC Log.  This is tougher than it sounds under any circumstance, but especially with all the AC Log customization options AC Log provides.

There are so many combinations of screen resolutions and user customizations, I really need this code tested extensively by many of you, to help ensure it is ready for release.

With 6.8.5, you should be able to perform the following (assuming your Form Size value is set to 100% (Settings > Appearance > Form Size)):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

-  If you drag the form to another monitor with a different a resolution, you will be given the option to rescale the form to the destination monitor's resolution.

If you don't want AC Log to scale smaller when you drag an edge, click Settings > Appearance > Form size and enter any value other than 100, as user customized values will override the auto scale.

I also added an option on Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts where you can select a font size separately for the menu bar.

So far, I've only coded these behaviors in AC Log's main form and the LoTW form.  This is taking significant time, so before I go any further, I really need your testing, to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I should mention that the font scaling assumes that you are keeping the form somewhere close to the intended design dimension ratio.  You should not expect the fonts to continue to display properly if you stray too far from the form's intended layout.

Please go ahead and give AC Log 6.8.5 beta a try and let me know how you make out!  With the new installer, you should be able to just run this file, without the need to uninstall 6.8 first:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

I am eager to hear your feedback!

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

I don’t know how you do it……between e-mails and coding, do you ever sleep?

Tu for great software…

73

Frank

NG1I

[...]

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement Frank!

Honestly, I can't do it all myself anymore.  You may have noticed that my wife Kimberly, KA3SEQ, is starting to take some of the e-mail load that has been entirely consuming my days.  I know you all appreciate my e-mail input, but I have zero doubt you would rather me spend more time coding instead of answering e-mail all day!

And also, many thanks to all of you who have been answering questions that come along.  Every question that you can answer, gives me more time and energy to focus on the software, and Kimberly and I really, really appreciate it!

[...]

Mike Olbrisch

Scott, just got off night shift so excuse if this question is irrelevant.  I have only one monitor on my logging computer.  However, I have two very large monitors on the main computer, but they are both the same and of equal resolution.   Is there any useful feedback my system could provide?  Or is this all in the realm of those who run dis-similar monitors and it would be meaningless on my system.  I do not run AC-Log on the dual-monitor computer at all.  But I could install it if it will be helpful to you.

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career.  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

[...]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, you can absolutely test the first three items with a single monitor setup.  In fact, the first three are the most important to test anyway and I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

[...]

GREAT POINT – time for a FRIENDLY REMINDER.

Many of us are skilled in using AC-Log and the contest or specialty logs, or at least portions of them.  For every user question we can answer, it saves Scott the trouble of stepping away from his coding work to answer user questions. There is no doubt Scott is good at it. But many of you out there are not too far behind.  If you are particularly good at some aspect and you think the help file could use some help, consider writing a step-by-step tutorial for Scott to include on the HELP page.

Also…..  Remember Scott has an extensive page for HELP with many of the common questions.

https://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

I know we all get in a hurry and want the answer NOW!  I know we (I) forget this resource is there.  This should be the first place we go for help.  And it should be included in any help we provide to others.  Just this alone might give Scott an extra hour or two a day for programming.

THANK YOU SCOTT – for all you do for us.  Without your hard work, I’d still be logging on paper.  You’ve saved countless trees!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

[...]

James Goff

Well said, Mike!

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:57 PM Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...> wrote:

[...]

Jay

Scott,
I sent a reply directly to you with screenshots of what I saw with the beta.

- Jay N1AV

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:38 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bobby Chandler

Hi Scott,
Only thing I see so far is the recent contacts bar (Main log) overlaps the menu bar when made smaller. All else seems to be working fine. The FIND box is also covered up.

Bobby/N4AU

AB8WD-Willie

same here

Dennis Vandeveer <daddyvan2005@...>

Hi Scott,

Ok it all works as it should on two monitors of different size. Only problem I see is that when working in the label appearance section Norton is reporting “Blocking Protector Blocked Activity by ACLog. And also getting the below error from Windows 10. If you cancel it then ACLog continues on with what I was doing. Retry brings it back here.

I reload reload ACLog with Norton 360 turned off and that may fix this..

Thanks Scott. Looking good.

Dennis

[...]

Ok quick follow up.

With Norton turned off still getting multiple errors and I can’t even close ACLog except from the task manager.

Sorry Scott. It may very well be a problem on my end.

Dennis KB7DV