Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott Davis

Hi All,

I've been working hard on the screen sizing code for AC Log.  This is tougher than it sounds under any circumstance, but especially with all the AC Log customization options AC Log provides.  

There are so many combinations of screen resolutions and user customizations, I really need this code tested extensively by many of you, to help ensure it is ready for release.

With 6.8.5, you should be able to perform the following (assuming your Form Size value is set to 100% (Settings > Appearance > Form Size)):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

-  If you drag the form to another monitor with a different a resolution, you will be given the option to rescale the form to the destination monitor's resolution.

If you don't want AC Log to scale smaller when you drag an edge, click Settings > Appearance > Form size and enter any value other than 100, as user customized values will override the auto scale.

I also added an option on Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts where you can select a font size separately for the menu bar.

So far, I've only coded these behaviors in AC Log's main form and the LoTW form.  This is taking significant time, so before I go any further, I really need your testing, to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I should mention that the font scaling assumes that you are keeping the form somewhere close to the intended design dimension ratio.  You should not expect the fonts to continue to display properly if you stray too far from the form's intended layout.

Please go ahead and give AC Log 6.8.5 beta a try and let me know how you make out!  With the new installer, you should be able to just run this file, without the need to uninstall 6.8 first:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

I am eager to hear your feedback!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

I don’t know how you do it……between e-mails and coding, do you ever sleep?

Tu for great software…

Frank

NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 3:38 PM
To: n3fjpsoftwareusers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Hi All,

I've been working hard on the screen sizing code for AC Log.  This is tougher than it sounds under any circumstance, but especially with all the AC Log customization options AC Log provides.  

There are so many combinations of screen resolutions and user customizations, I really need this code tested extensively by many of you, to help ensure it is ready for release.

With 6.8.5, you should be able to perform the following (assuming your Form Size value is set to 100% (Settings > Appearance > Form Size)):

-  Grab an edge or corner of the form with your mouse, resize the form and the fonts will grow or shrink (with Form Size value at 100%).

-  The maximize button will now resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.

-  Double clicking on the title bar will also resize the form and fonts, with all the controls adjusting accordingly.  This code had to be implemented differently than the maximize button, so it needs to be tested separately.

-  If you drag the form to another monitor with a different a resolution, you will be given the option to rescale the form to the destination monitor's resolution.

If you don't want AC Log to scale smaller when you drag an edge, click Settings > Appearance > Form size and enter any value other than 100, as user customized values will override the auto scale.

I also added an option on Settings > Appearance > Colors and Fonts where you can select a font size separately for the menu bar.

So far, I've only coded these behaviors in AC Log's main form and the LoTW form.  This is taking significant time, so before I go any further, I really need your testing, to make sure I am on the right track.

Also, I should mention that the font scaling assumes that you are keeping the form somewhere close to the intended design dimension ratio.  You should not expect the fonts to continue to display properly if you stray too far from the form's intended layout.

Please go ahead and give AC Log 6.8.5 beta a try and let me know how you make out!  With the new installer, you should be able to just run this file, without the need to uninstall 6.8 first:

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Scott Davis

Thanks so much for your kind words and encouragement Frank!

Honestly, I can't do it all myself anymore.  You may have noticed that my wife Kimberly, KA3SEQ, is starting to take some of the e-mail load that has been entirely consuming my days.  I know you all appreciate my e-mail input, but I have zero doubt you would rather me spend more time coding instead of answering e-mail all day!

And also, many thanks to all of you who have been answering questions that come along.  Every question that you can answer, gives me more time and energy to focus on the software, and Kimberly and I really, really appreciate it!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 4:02 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Tu for great software…

Frank
NG1I

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Mike Olbrisch

Scott, just got off night shift so excuse if this question is irrelevant.  I have only one monitor on my logging computer.  However, I have two very large monitors on the main computer, but they are both the same and of equal resolution.   Is there any useful feedback my system could provide?  Or is this all in the realm of those who run dis-similar monitors and it would be meaningless on my system.  I do not run AC-Log on the dual-monitor computer at all.  But I could install it if it will be helpful to you. 

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career.  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 13:38 PM

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Scott Davis

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Yes, you can absolutely test the first three items with a single monitor setup.  In fact, the first three are the most important to test anyway and I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 4:45 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Everyone - Please Test Screen Sizing in AC Log Beta 6.8.5!

Scott, just got off night shift so excuse if this question is irrelevant.  I have only one monitor on my logging computer.  However, I have two very large monitors on the main computer, but they are both the same and of equal resolution.   Is there any useful feedback my system could provide?  Or is this all in the realm of those who run dis-similar monitors and it would be meaningless on my system.  I do not run AC-Log on the dual-monitor computer at all.  But I could install it if it will be helpful to you. 

BTW, our trailer finally arrived from the custom-builders in Canada (ordered last June, promised in Oct…. yeah right).  I’ve submitted for retirement from my second career.  Perhaps some morning you’ll wake up and find us camped in your area.  Shakespeare AT-1011 44-ft fiberglass vertical and Yaesu FT-857D (low RX power consumption) getting installed in the trailer.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an
ENTRANCE to someplace new.

Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 13:38 PM

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Mike Olbrisch

GREAT POINT – time for a FRIENDLY REMINDER.

Many of us are skilled in using AC-Log and the contest or specialty logs, or at least portions of them.  For every user question we can answer, it saves Scott the trouble of stepping away from his coding work to answer user questions. There is no doubt Scott is good at it. But many of you out there are not too far behind.  If you are particularly good at some aspect and you think the help file could use some help, consider writing a step-by-step tutorial for Scott to include on the HELP page.

Also…..  Remember Scott has an extensive page for HELP with many of the common questions.

https://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

I know we all get in a hurry and want the answer NOW!  I know we (I) forget this resource is there.  This should be the first place we go for help.  And it should be included in any help we provide to others.  Just this alone might give Scott an extra hour or two a day for programming.

THANK YOU SCOTT – for all you do for us.  Without your hard work, I’d still be logging on paper.  You’ve saved countless trees!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 14:36 PM

Honestly, I can't do it all myself anymore.  You may have noticed that my wife Kimberly, KA3SEQ, is starting to take some of the e-mail load that has been entirely consuming my days.  I know you all appreciate my e-mail input, but I have zero doubt you would rather me spend more time coding instead of answering e-mail all day!

And also, many thanks to all of you who have been answering questions that come along.  Every question that you can answer, gives me more time and energy to focus on the software, and Kimberly and I really, really appreciate it!

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Tu for great software…

Frank

NG1I

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

James Goff

Well said, Mike!

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 4:57 PM Mike Olbrisch <mike-2020@...> wrote:

GREAT POINT – time for a FRIENDLY REMINDER.

Many of us are skilled in using AC-Log and the contest or specialty logs, or at least portions of them.  For every user question we can answer, it saves Scott the trouble of stepping away from his coding work to answer user questions. There is no doubt Scott is good at it. But many of you out there are not too far behind.  If you are particularly good at some aspect and you think the help file could use some help, consider writing a step-by-step tutorial for Scott to include on the HELP page.

Also…..  Remember Scott has an extensive page for HELP with many of the common questions.

https://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

I know we all get in a hurry and want the answer NOW!  I know we (I) forget this resource is there.  This should be the first place we go for help.  And it should be included in any help we provide to others.  Just this alone might give Scott an extra hour or two a day for programming.

THANK YOU SCOTT – for all you do for us.  Without your hard work, I’d still be logging on paper.  You’ve saved countless trees!

Mike – KD5KC -- El Paso -- Texas.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.

An EXIT is really an ENTRANCE to someplace new.

Sent: Monday, March 1, 2021 14:36 PM

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Tu for great software…

Frank

NG1I

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

--
i

Jay

Scott,
I sent a reply directly to you with screenshots of what I saw with the beta.

- Jay N1AV

On Mon, Mar 1, 2021 at 1:38 PM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Bobby Chandler

Hi Scott,
Only thing I see so far is the recent contacts bar (Main log) overlaps the menu bar when made smaller. All else seems to be working fine. The FIND box is also covered up.

Bobby/N4AU

AB8WD-Willie

same here 

Dennis Vandeveer <daddyvan2005@...>

Hi Scott,

Ok it all works as it should on two monitors of different size. Only problem I see is that when working in the label appearance section Norton is reporting “Blocking Protector Blocked Activity by ACLog. And also getting the below error from Windows 10. If you cancel it then ACLog continues on with what I was doing. Retry brings it back here.

I reload reload ACLog with Norton 360 turned off and that may fix this..

Thanks Scott. Looking good.

Dennis

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 4:38 AM

Hi All,

Enjoy!

73, Scott

N3FJP

Ok quick follow up.

With Norton turned off still getting multiple errors and I can’t even close ACLog except from the task manager.

Sorry Scott. It may very well be a problem on my end.

Dennis KB7DV

._,_._,_

Scott Davis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks, yes, the file save errors are unrelated to this beta.  Your permissions settings on the drive and / or folder path are precluding AC Log from saving your settings..  Correcting your permission settings will remedy that.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 11:52 pm

Ok quick follow up.
With Norton turned off still getting multiple errors and I can’t even close ACLog except from the task manager.
Sorry Scott. It may very well be a problem on my end.
Dennis KB7DV

._,_._,_

Scott Davis

Thanks guys,

Okay, with the exception of one individual who e-mailed direct (which may be something unrelated), it appears this is generally working as intended, but a couple tweaks can hopefully clean it up a bit more.

You can hold off testing for now.  Let me work on this here some more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the input so far!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Scott,
Only thing I see so far is the recent contacts bar (Main log) overlaps the menu bar when made smaller. All else seems to be working fine. The FIND box is also covered up.

Bobby/N4AU

K7GA

And fixed the frequency box by adjusting the font (duh). Most excellent upgrade! Thank you. 73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Mar 2, 2021, at 05:30, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

Thanks guys,

Okay, with the exception of one individual who e-mailed direct (which may be something unrelated), it appears this is generally working as intended, but a couple tweaks can hopefully clean it up a bit more.

You can hold off testing for now.  Let me work on this here some more and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for all the input so far!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Scott,

Bobby/N4AU

Hi Scott,

So I finally got all the errors fixed with the latest beta however I am seeing a scrunching of the menu bar after I resize it a few times. Maybe I missed something in all the posts. Other than that it works just fine on both monitors.

Thanks for your hard work.

73 Dennis

DU3/KB7DV

VE9VIC...Rino

Nice work Scott, I just downloaded the 6.8 version, not sure where to get the 6.8.5 beta, everything is working fine here,
I like the note function , handy in contest, it would be fun to be able to add a NOTE button after the HELP  button, maybe a few
option function could have to possibility to add a button in the upper bar ? after the HELP one.

Maybe in the future, the alert on the dx page could still be red when new one(ATNO) is found but as an option, another
alert for the current year,example=2021 in red could appear in the last row of the dx page for all new dx in 2021 .

--
TS590SG, 100 Watts, off center fed dipole.

73, Rino
VE9VIC

John AA6ZT

Well, this didn't turn out too well.

The full-size screen is fine and easy to read.

In the reduced size I like, the text is way too small to read.

In this setting, it is unusable.

It's a great program. I'll move back to an older version to keep the readability.

All the best,

John AA6ZT

Scott Davis

Hi John,

Thanks, right, like I wrote before, the font scaling change is now based solely on height change.  Scaling only on height works much better when you keep the form display to its intended height / width ratio than the previous method did, but not as well when you contort the form outside of it's intended design ratio.

You can click Settings > Form Size and enter 99 (or any value you like) to override the font scaling behavior.

Thanks for testing!

73, Scott, N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Mar 9, 2021 1:10 am

Well, this didn't turn out too well.

The full-size screen is fine and easy to read.

In the reduced size I like, the text is way too small to read.
In this setting, it is unusable.

It's a great program. I'll move back to an older version to keep the readability.

All the best,

John AA6ZT

Jim Polewczak

Well, since you're asking i will add my 2 cents.  I have tried 6.8.5.1 and 6.8.5.2
I have a pretty plain jane setup, 2 monitors set at 1920 X 1080 on one PC and a laptop with a 1920 X1080 display.  
I prefer the 6.8.5.1 method that changes the font based on the width, not the .2 version which uses a height scaling.  

Jim KG2H