Dup Check In ACLog

N8OFP.DL@...

Scott,
I work lot of Parks On The Air stations and on busy days it is very easy to work the same park multiple times. I use "Other 1" field to record the Park ID.
Would be possible to add a duplicate contact option to ACLog. I would say if turned on the dup checker would look at the Call Sign, Date, Mode, Frequency and the "Other 1 -  8" fields (as optional, selectable when the dup check is turned on) to check for an already existing contact that meet the duplicate criteria.
Thanks and keep up the good work!!
Del  N8OFP

Mike Olbrisch

Interesting…….

As a SOTA op, I often work the same summit multiple times……. On different bands or modes.  It is a good way to study the propagation, what bands and modes worked best from that distance and time of day.

I guess they are duplicate contacts.  I only get the points for the first contact. But I would not delete them as dupes, they have value in other ways.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61. 

The canyons are calling, colorful and deep.  But I have promises to keep.

And miles to go still in my Jeep...   And miles to go still in my Jeep...

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of N8OFP.DL@...
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 6:39 AM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Dup Check In ACLog

Scott,
I work lot of Parks On The Air stations and on busy days it is very easy to work the same park multiple times. I use "Other 1" field to record the Park ID.
Would be possible to add a duplicate contact option to ACLog. I would say if turned on the dup checker would look at the Call Sign, Date, Mode, Frequency and the "Other 1 -  8" fields (as optional, selectable when the dup check is turned on) to check for an already existing contact that meet the duplicate criteria.
Del  N8OFP

K4GM-George

After you type in the callsign, hit TAB.   ACLog will show all priors in THAT log file.

73, George K4GM

On 4/2/2021 8:38 AM, N8OFP.DL@... wrote:
Scott,
Del  N8OFP

Larry Banks

Hi Mike,

Seems to me that they are different times/modes/frequencies.  Therefore not dupes by definition.   

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, April 02, 2021 9:51
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Dup Check In ACLog

Interesting…….

As a SOTA op, I often work the same summit multiple times……. On different bands or modes.  It is a good way to study the propagation, what bands and modes worked best from that distance and time of day.

I guess they are duplicate contacts.  I only get the points for the first contact. But I would not delete them as dupes, they have value in other ways.

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of N8OFP.DL@...

Scott,
I work lot of Parks On The Air stations and on busy days it is very easy to work the same park multiple times. I use "Other 1" field to record the Park ID.
Del  N8OFP

Mike Olbrisch

Well, they are and they aren’t, depending on how you look at it.

Example, say the summit is worth 10 points.  And say I contact the summit on 60m and report 449 for the signal.  I get 10 points.  The summit moves to 40m 10 minutes later, I make the contact and report 569.  It is not a DUPE in the log.  But I get ZERO points for this summit because it is a dupe contact of the summit for the day.

Out here in the Western Wastelands of the USA many of us take advantage of a loop-hole in the SOTA scoring.  The database recognizes 2400-UTC as the end of the day, and any contacts made afterward can earn additional points.  So some activators will hold a summit over and let the chasers gain double-points.

Another popular loophole is the UTC new-year.  If the activator is on the summit on 31 Dec, and stays beyond 2400 UTC, the database becomes day-1 of the new year.  In that case the chasers get double points, and so does the activator!

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 8:25 AM

Hi Mike,

Seems to me that they are different times/modes/frequencies.  Therefore not dupes by definition.   

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Interesting…….

Scott,
I work lot of Parks On The Air stations and on busy days it is very easy to work the same park multiple times. I use "Other 1" field to record the Park ID.
Del  N8OFP

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts.  Yes, unlike the contest software, in which a dupe is defined by contest rules, AC Log being a general logging program, there are many interpretations of what a duplicate might be (even in just the Call / Call - Band / Call - Band - Mode / Call - Band - Mode - Time Duration) options, before you even think about including additional fields beyond that.  Making a customizable dupe option is certainly possible, but would take a good bit of coding time and invite all manner of support questions, as well as detour AC Log from its easy to use out of the box concept.

All that said, I do have some thoughts and I will keep it in mind for the future.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Apr 2, 2021 10:39 am

Well, they are and they aren’t, depending on how you look at it.

Example, say the summit is worth 10 points.  And say I contact the summit on 60m and report 449 for the signal.  I get 10 points.  The summit moves to 40m 10 minutes later, I make the contact and report 569.  It is not a DUPE in the log.  But I get ZERO points for this summit because it is a dupe contact of the summit for the day.

Out here in the Western Wastelands of the USA many of us take advantage of a loop-hole in the SOTA scoring.  The database recognizes 2400-UTC as the end of the day, and any contacts made afterward can earn additional points.  So some activators will hold a summit over and let the chasers gain double-points.

Another popular loophole is the UTC new-year.  If the activator is on the summit on 31 Dec, and stays beyond 2400 UTC, the database becomes day-1 of the new year.  In that case the chasers get double points, and so does the activator!

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Larry Banks via groups.io
Sent: Friday, April 2, 2021 8:25 AM

Hi Mike,

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Interesting…….

Scott,
Del  N8OFP

Claude Ray - AC4SH

Thanks George, 
I use that feature on POTA activations to look for multiple contacts over time with other stations. It would be benefit for me if the current date would display in a highlighted color to alert me that we have made a contact today. I know that the previous contacts are already sorted by date, but have that blink of color would keep me from having to scrutinize the display (and also make me sound like I'm on top of my game!).

I log my Parks on the Air activations exclusively on ACLog and really appreciate many features. I keep the same log file on my PC so that previous notes, names and contacts appear when I log stations. 

73 de Claude - AC4SH