Topics

disabled ham needs help

jim crisco WA4YIZ

hi all..trying to help a disabled ham with CW keying from ACL to a ic 756 pro III.
he has parkinsons ...his hands shake a good bit...so he "studders" when sending CW.
he would like to use RI to send CW from a memory location..but the 756 does not support this.
what are our options ???
i do not use CW so i am at a loss...
any help would be appreciated..
he would consider sending code from his keyboard if needed..

no need to tie up the group...so please contact me off group..

jim
wa4yiz
email good on qrz

Frank MacKenzie-Lamb

Jim,  would Winkeyer be of any help where he can just press a programed F key?  I have a ic 7300 which I use with Winkeyer and an illustrated set of directions in setting it up but I don’t know the 756Pro

Frank

NG1I

hi all..trying to help a disabled ham with CW keying from ACL to a ic 756 pro III.

he has parkinsons ...his hands shake a good bit...so he "studders" when sending CW.

he would like to use RI to send CW from a memory location..but the 756 does not support this.

what are our options ???

i do not use CW so i am at a loss...

any help would be appreciated..

he would consider sending code from his keyboard if needed..

no need to tie up the group...so please contact me off group..

jim

wa4yiz

email good on qrz

Scott Davis

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Click Settings > Transmit CW.  Then enter the strings he would like to send and associate them with F keys.  He simply needs to push the F key for the string he wants to send.

hi all..trying to help a disabled ham with CW keying from ACL to a ic 756 pro III.
he has parkinsons ...his hands shake a good bit...so he "studders" when sending CW.
he would like to use RI to send CW from a memory location..but the 756 does not support this.
what are our options ???
i do not use CW so i am at a loss...
any help would be appreciated..
he would consider sending code from his keyboard if needed..

no need to tie up the group...so please contact me off group..

jim
wa4yiz
email good on qrz

kb3co

IMHO Winkeyer is hands down the best solution!
And this is the most economical one...
https://www.hamcrafters2.com/WKmini.html

Christopher Scibelli

I don't this can be done with only memories.  What happens if the other OP asks a question whose answer isn't stored in memory?  Too many things can wrong using memories alone.

If he can type using the keyboard interface is what I'd suggest.  I'd also get a Winkeyer.  CW is so much better when using a WKer.

73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

I don't think this can be done with only memories.  What happens if the other OP asks a question whose answer isn't stored in memory?  Too many things can wrong using memories alone.

[...]

K4GM-George

CHris:

I agree. Using the F keys is only a good start.  I think he would also need a "big key" keyboard to minimize "fat-fingering" . Take a look at https://www.infogrip.com/products/keyboards/large-print-key-keyboard/

73, George K4GM

On 1/29/2020 4:02 PM, Christopher Scibelli via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

The answer here is to either free keyboard or go right to your CW key

BTW I have an illustrated set of directions for setting up the Winkeyer for rigs plus for the IC-7300. If you’d like a copy pse send your request to me at NG1I@...

[...]

thanks to all who gave feedback....we are going to look at winkeyer...
i will post a update after he is back on the air...
73
jim
wa4yiz

Ken Bell

I'm going to toss in a suggestion before the topic is closed completely.  Take a look at Mortty:  https://hamprojects.info/mortty/

This is a kit, but one of the easiest kits I've built.   N3FJP, N1MM+, and fldigi all look upon  the Mortty as if it's a winkeyer. I've used it enough to know that it works well, and I saved over $100 building it rather buying an assembled Winkeyer.  $26, including shipping vs $129 for the official winkeyer.  There are a couple of options, so pick the CW version.  It emulates Winkey 2.3.  If you want a speed pot, you can add one for $5, but you don't need it and can change keying speed from the keyboard.

I don't make any money from Mortty, and don't know the people who do, but know they can't make much with these prices.

-ken - K4EES

kb3co

Two comments on Mortty vs. Winkeyer:
1) WKmini (the Winkeyer functional equivalent of Mortty) is only $59 - NOT $129
2) WKmini is galvanically isolated - Mortty is NOT
Mortty is a nice offering - flexible, functional, and economical. If it were galvanically isolated I would jump on it. But until it is I will will pay the extra bucks and get the security I need.

73,
Charlie KB3CO

Christopher Scibelli

The way I read the post was that his hands were too shaky to use a paddle, or a straight key..  That's the main reason I suggested using keyboard generated CW.  Plus, one eventually runs out of memory space.  Memories are great for a contest but not ragchew type QSOs.

73,

Chris  NU1O

[...]

Hi

At Less than half the price, I’ve never had a ‘galvan’ collision and not sure I now anyone who has.   Could happen, who knows.

Best regards,

Ken - K4EES

On Jan 30, 2020, at 10:00 AM, kb3co <kb3co@...> wrote:

Two comments on Mortty vs. Winkeyer:
1) WKmini (the Winkeyer functional equivalent of Mortty) is only $59 - NOT $129
2) WKmini is galvanically isolated - Mortty is NOT
Mortty is a nice offering - flexible, functional, and economical. If it were galvanically isolated I would jump on it. But until it is I will will pay the extra bucks and get the security I need.

73,
Charlie KB3CO

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Around Christmas, one of the guys in our local club was expressing frustration of sending CW, as his hands have become more shaky with age.  He uses the F keys, which work fine for him for canned Qs, but he also likes to rag chew CW.

To possibly help, I added speech to text on the CW Buffer form and put it up as a beta for my friend, back in December.  I haven't heard back, so I don't know if it has been of any use for his situation or not.

Speech to text is far from a perfect solution.  The user has to dictate the text to be sent into a mic connected to his PC, either while receiving the other station's transmission, or as he is transmitting.  Also, speech to text can be quite flaky, misinterpreting your voice, etc.

I don't know if this will be any help at all, but in may be another possible tool for some.  If you would like to give the beta a try, please:

Uninstall your current version of AC Log and install this one:

http://www.n3fjp.com/programs/ACLBETA.exe

Press Ctrl K from the main form, click Record on the form that appears and speak the text you want to send in CW (understanding the limitations of speech to text).  The rest should be intuitive.

I hope that this may be a help for someone.

[...]

Marvin Ross

I concur on the Mortty solution.

A Black Belt contester turned me on to Mortty which was easy to build, just follow the instructions with a dollop of patience.

Cheers,

Marv Ross

W0PSY

This is a kit, but one of the easiest kits I've built.   N3FJP, N1MM+, and fldigi all look upon  the Mortty as if it's a winkeyer. I've used it enough to know that it works well, and I saved over $100 building it rather buying an assembled Winkeyer.  $26, including shipping vs $129 for the official winkeyer.  There are a couple of options, so pick the CW version.  It emulates Winkey 2.3.  If you want a speed pot, you can add one for $5, but you don't need it and can change keying speed from the keyboard.

I don't make any money from Mortty, and don't know the people who do, but know they can't make much with these prices.

-ken - K4EES

David King

Scott...is this "send" only, or is it also converting received CW and displaying text?

David King
WY7DK

On 1/30/2020 2:07 PM, Scott Davis via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Hi David,

Thanks for your e-mail.  You will need digital software to decode CW.

If you have any additional questions, I have lots of support for you on:

- Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page:  http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html  (the vast majority of commonly asked questions are answered right here).

- Our website help section:  http://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

- Our YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxw9QX84F4tFyX8JavCOD3XVUS5Dsznw

And if you still have questions after reviewing all the resources above, please feel free to search the topics and / or e-mail us on our users support e-mail group:  https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers

[...]

K7GA

If he gets a Winkeyer and sets it up in the N3FJP log (settings, transmit, center setup) he can push F12 on the keyboard and send manual code all day long from the keyboard keys (in addition to the  programmable  F1 -F11 keys). Press F12 again to get out of KEYBOARD mode. He can also, from the main form, press Ctrl K to type CW  to send in a buffer, which will be held until he hits ENTER. I’m assuming he can receive code ok.
73/Geoff K7GA

Sent from Geoff’s iPhone X

On Jan 27, 2021, at 13:52, Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis@...> wrote:

[...]

Fred K2DFC

If he uses ACLog, and the F12 key he doesn't need the Winkeyer.

Fred
K2DFC