Topics

CW SPEED

I have had to change the cw speed to LOOP at the lowest level and the speed to 125. It sounds like it is putting out ard 18 wpm ??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave NU4N

Scott Davis

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I'm sorry that you have run into trouble.  It sounds like an inferior driver for your USB to serial adapter.

From the Timing Options at the top, experiment with all three. They each take a different approach to processor timing and you'll likely find one more consistent on your PC than another.

For the most precise timing, do not run any other programs, virus software etc., while transmitting.

I've had good reports from lots of folks on processor timed CW from my software and it is working great here with my FTDI, USB to serial adapter, but on some systems, the timing is either erratic or can not attain higher speeds.  This may be the result of multitasking, an incompatible Windows driver or inferior USB to serial adapter.  If your processor generated CW is not satisfactory, Winkeyer is a great solution.

I hope this helps!

I have had to change the cw speed to LOOP at the lowest level and the speed to 125. It sounds like it is putting out ard 18 wpm ??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave NU4N

Jay Henson

Dave,

Do NOT test any change in CW speed settings while you are still in CW Setup.  Once a change is made, click DONE and then test your settings.  It may take a little time to find what you are looking for, but it does work.  I used my CW settings during FD and had no problems at all.

GL & 73
Jay
AJ4AY
Mobile, AL

On 7/3/2019 6:02 AM, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
I have had to change the cw speed to LOOP at the lowest level and the speed to 125. It sounds like it is putting out ard 18 wpm ??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave NU4N

Thanks gent's for the info . I will check into this today. 73 and Tnx again.
Dave NU4N

Paul

I bought CQWW Contest v5.8 and installed OK on my Windows 10 box. Rig is FT-1000MP MKV.

All fine on CW but speed is so slow and reluctant to get any faster than about 20/25wpm, hopeless for contesting !

I've noticed many people use a Winkeyer but didn't want to do that unless I had to.

I have USB/Serial converters in line and it occurred to me I bought them when I bought the (used) rig - in spring 2007. PC then was WinXP and all worked well together. So I decided to look for drivers now that both OS and PC itself have changed.

Device Mgr finds brand name of the converters, ATEN. ATEN website indeed has updated drivers for their UC232A and installing them completely solved the problem, now getting good clean CW at the desired speed :)

73, Paul N5PG

Paul

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail.  From the Timing Options on the CW setup form, experiment with all three options. They each take a different approach to processor timing and you'll likely find one more consistent on your PC than another.

For the most precise timing, do not run any other programs, virus software etc., while transmitting.

I've had good reports from lots of folks on processor timed CW from the software and it is working great here with my FTDI, USB to serial adapter, but on some systems, the timing is either erratic or can not attain higher speeds.  This may be the result of multitasking, an incompatible Windows driver or inferior USB to serial adapter.  If your processor generated CW is not satisfactory, Winkeyer is a great solution.

I bought CQWW Contest v5.8 and installed OK on my Windows 10 box. Rig is FT-1000MP MKV.

All fine on CW but speed is so slow and reluctant to get any faster than about 20/25wpm, hopeless for contesting !

I've noticed many people use a Winkeyer but didn't want to do that unless I had to.

I have USB/Serial converters in line and it occurred to me I bought them when I bought the (used) rig - in spring 2007. PC then was WinXP and all worked well together. So I decided to look for drivers now that both OS and PC itself have changed.

Device Mgr finds brand name of the converters, ATEN. ATEN website indeed has updated drivers for their UC232A and installing them completely solved the problem, now getting good clean CW at the desired speed :)

73, Paul N5PG

Paul

Scott - I was saying I had cured the cw problem by installing updated USB/Serial converter drivers !

I just noticed that I'm only sending 5NN, not 5NN 4, i.e. zone NOT being sent. Hmm.

Scott Davis

Ah, I misread, thanks for the good report Paul!

You can edit your F key strings as needed, though I think most guys would prefer you not send the 0.