Topics

CW PTT

Paul

Hi folks

I have a remote station operation using an ICOM 756 Pro 3, Airspy HF+ Discovery SDR and a Palstar LA-1K amp.  I use an RF switch relay to switch between the SDR and the Amplifier.   For Software I use Ham Radio Deluxe for CAT to the ICOM radio and N3FJP ACL for logging and keyboard CW.  Computer is Windows 10 64 bit.

When I try to send CW while operating contests or casual QSO's I always get the first character of the letter cut off when I start sending. When I use the ACL keyboard to send CW, the first character i.e. a dit or dah  is cut off.  If I use a keyer directly onsite with a separate PTT line to the radio no problem.  I suspect the semi-breaking keying is too slow for the relays to close, losing the first dit or dash.

I use a physical RS232 port to key the PTT on the radio from a RS232 COM port on the back of the radio but I can find no way to configure that port in the CW settings of ACL.  I can configure a direct PTT com line from the ACL Phone settings.

What am I missing - is there any way to key the RS232 com port PTT line immediately when I hit send from the keyboard?

Thanks for the help.

Paul
NO0T

Scott Davis

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail.  I am by no means a hardware guy, so you will definitely need more help from others on this one than I can provide.  If you are using internally generated CW (not Winkeyer), there is an option to key your amp via RTS or DTR prior to the CW keydown if that helps.

Capture.JPG

Good luck with your project!

[...]

Hi Scott -
I tried the CW PTT for Amps check box but I can't find where it defines which com port I am keying the PTT. After I check the box nothing happens.  In the ACL Phone setup we configure the com port for PTT as shown.  I am looking for the same set up for CW.  Thanks and 73 - Paul NO0T

!Phone Setup.PNG

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:35 AM Scott Davis via groups.io <SNKDavis=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your follow up.  Choose the com port you have your CW interface connected to, from the upper left list of the graphic you sent, under the Com Port heading.

The amp keying is opposite the CW keying, so since you have DTR keying selected, your amp will be keyed from the RTS line (assuming you have all that configured on the hardware side).

----

If you have any additional questions, I have lots of support for you on:

- Our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page:  http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html  (the vast majority of commonly asked questions are answered right here).

- Our website help section:  http://www.n3fjp.com/help/index.html

- Our YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkxw9QX84F4tFyX8JavCOD3XVUS5Dsznw

And if you still have questions after reviewing all the resources above, please feel free to search the topics and / or e-mail us on our users support e-mail group:  https://groups.io/g/N3FJPSoftwareUsers

[...]

Thanks for getting back to me so quick Scott.

I'm not quite sure how to wire up the hardware but it sounds like there would be two separate cables coming from the same RS232 port - one for CW keying and one for the PTT.  I would appreciate if there is someone on the blog who has done this could maybe contact me.

Thanks

73

Paul
NO0T