Topics

Contest History

Gary Johnson

ContestHistory.txt updates inconsistently.

I had observed this behavior several years ago. Then for a long time it seemed to be updating correctly. But now for the last few weeks it is inconsistent again. For example, in this afternoon's CWT contest I worked a new callsign on two different bands. The second time I worked that callsign, I should have seen the name and CWops # fields populate from the history file when I tabbed from the Call field. But they were still blank.

After I closed the log file, I checked the history file date-time stamp. It showed the expected date and time. But when I opened the file in notepad, the new callsign was not present.

And it's not just the absence of a new callsign. I frequently see that a field populates with old data even though I remember just recently entering new data for that callsign. Yet at other times, the fields show updated info.

What is going on with the history file?

Gary, N8LR

Scott Davis

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your e-mail.  The History file does not update until you close the software, so you should not expect to see a newly entered contact in the contest history file until then.

That said, the software will populate from calls in your current log file.  In fact, your current log is checked first, before the history file is checked.

I just double checked both processes here and they continue to work fine.  I just entered a brand new call, N1TRYIT on 80 meters.  Without closing and restarting the software, I changed to 40, tabbed from the Call field and the data properly filled (screen shot now on 40 meters):

Capture.JPG

I then closed and restarted the CW Ops CWT software, started a new log and the brand new call, N1TRYIT, which I have never used as a test before, properly filled from the history file:

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Everything continues to work properly here.  If you continue to have trouble, please provide very specific details, including screen shots, so that I can better trouble shoot any anomalies.

[...]

I solved the riddle!

I often go through the following procedure at the end of a contest to prepare for the next time I will use that contest log for a new contest. I save the log by a unique file name. Then without exiting the contest log program I "Start a New Log with a New Database File or New File location". Then I close the contest log program. After the 13Z CWT this morning, that's what I did and found that the ContestHistory.txt file did not contain new or updated info even though the file date-time-stamp showed that the file had been modified.

After the 19Z CWT this afternoon, I closed the contest log program without going through that procedure. New and updated info got saved to the ContestHistory.txt file.

I guess I just assumed that the ContestHistory.txt file would be updated when saving the contest file. But that is not the case. The ContestHistory.txt file is updated only when the program is closed. So following the procedure I described above resulted in a new blank contest file being used to update the ContestHistory.txt file.

Scott, I'm kinda curious about why you chose to update the history file upon exiting the program rather than when saving the current contest.

Gary, N8LR

Scott Davis

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your follow up.  That explains it!

QSO records are saved on entry.  Users don't always save their data in any other way after a contest.

[...]

I always save my contest logs using a file name appropriate for that contest, but in the future I will exit the contest log program before starting a new log.

Gary, N8LR