Topics

Comport Problem

Woody Hester

Trying to set up Rig Interface. K3S and computer is Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 Pro.  No Comports show up in the Com Port box.  Anyone know how to get them to appear?  I've exhausted the Windows 7 and Microsoft help sites to no avail.  Thanks! / WD9F

Scott Davis

Hi Woody,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Please see this FAQ here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/faq.html#q81

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Tue, Sep 29, 2020 5:23 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Comport Problem

Trying to set up Rig Interface. K3S and computer is Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 Pro.  No Comports show up in the Com Port box.  Anyone know how to get them to appear?  I've exhausted the Windows 7 and Microsoft help sites to no avail.  Thanks! / WD9F

Woody Hester

Hi Scott.  Thanks for this.  I have already tried this.  I think my problem is a computer problem of some kind.  Not a problem with the logger.  For some reason, my comports don't even show up in Device Manager.  Not even hidden... and I can't even find them in Bios to make sure they are enabled.  I used to run this particular computer with a Flex rig with some third party add ons.  I fear I inadvertently did something to make my comports invisible??  Any suggestions welcome from you or others, but I'm sure this is not a problem with you logger.  Thanks!! / Woody / WD9F

Scott Davis

Hi Woody,

In addition to the users having data erased, I understand that the latest Windows update is also overwriting current Windows drivers with older versions, so that may have occurred in your case.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Wed, Sep 30, 2020 9:29 am
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Comport Problem

Hi Scott.  Thanks for this.  I have already tried this.  I think my problem is a computer problem of some kind.  Not a problem with the logger.  For some reason, my comports don't even show up in Device Manager.  Not even hidden... and I can't even find them in Bios to make sure they are enabled.  I used to run this particular computer with a Flex rig with some third party add ons.  I fear I inadvertently did something to make my comports invisible??  Any suggestions welcome from you or others, but I'm sure this is not a problem with you logger.  Thanks!! / Woody / WD9F

Woody Hester

Could be.  In any case, it's over my head :-)  I've got a geeky friend coming to my rescue later this week.  All the best! / Woody / WD9F

Jeff Steinkamp

If you are not seeing the COMPORT's in the bios at boot up time,  then I would recommend  copying down your current BIOS settings, then reset them to factory or pull the battery and force the computer to reread the bus.  If you have an external COMPORT card like I do, power down, pull the card, power up and let windows do it's thing, then shut down and reinstall the card, but in a different PCI slot to force the BIOS to re-register the card and pickup the drivers.

If your COMPORTs are all USB to serial, then I'd pull all the dongles, and let the computer go through a complete bootup cycle and shutdown a couple of time before reinstalling the USB portion of that dongle.

Woody Hester via groups.io wrote on 9/30/2020 06:29:

--
Jeff K. Steinkamp (N7YG)
Tucson, AZ
Scud Missile Coordinates
N32.2319 W110.8477