Changes Necessary When Running Portable

Bob - KA2TQV

I realize this is a dumb question from someone whose been licensed for 40 years, but I have rarely operated away from my home QTH. I’ll be about 350 miles from home, in a different grid and call sign district. When running digital on WSJT, what changes should I be making? Things I can think of:
- Change the WSJT CQ line to /P and change grid square?
- Change the AClog setup input screen to new lat/long?

Anything else? Will LoTW be OK? Thanks 

Bob, KA2TQV

Larry Banks

Hi Bob,

You certainly need to change your grid square in WSJT-X and ACLog, along with the lat/lon in ACLog.  You will also need a new location in TQSL. 

As for using “/p”, note that this will require a new certificate for TQSL, and that your QSO partners may or may not upload their log with the “/p”.  As the new grid square identifies where you are, you might not use the “/p” and save the confusion.  If you do use the “/p” you may want to upload your Qs to LoTW both ways.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2021 7:04
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Changes Necessary When Running Portable

I realize this is a dumb question from someone whose been licensed for 40 years, but I have rarely operated away from my home QTH. I’ll be about 350 miles from home, in a different grid and call sign district. When running digital on WSJT, what changes should I be making? Things I can think of:
- Change the WSJT CQ line to /P and change grid square?
- Change the AClog setup input screen to new lat/long?

Anything else? Will LoTW be OK? Thanks

Bob, KA2TQV

Richard Rohrer

Hi Bob,

I agree with Larry, its much easier to just create a location with the new grid square and sign your call without the /P or /M.  WSTJ  has some problems with what they consider not standard call signs.  I was running mobile one day and using KC3EF/M and was called by another station that was XXXX/M.  We just called and called each other since WSJT did not recognize the /M and would not sequence to the next exchange.  When I investigated this, I found that WSJT uses a hashing technique and /M is not one of the suffixes it will correctly hash.  

The other problem I found with getting new certificates with a /M or /P is that I could not automatically download from LoTW  and would have to manually edit the log to show the qsl received.  I think the problem is that the other certificates were a subset of my main certificate and I have not found how to log on to LoTW thru ACL and select the /M or /P contacts.  It always goes to the main certificate.

I have made contacts from about 200 grids either mobile or portable and this is what I have found.  

Dick - KC3EF

Bob - KA2TQV

Larry / Dick,

Thank you both. Makes sense.

Bob

Andrew K8AKC

I'll go ahead and give opposing opinions.

I use ACL and JTDX using /P and have no problems. Lotw has a cert for the /P call and ACL doesn't have any problems uploading to Lotw. I do have a different account for eqsl and that helps separate my home and portable contacts.

I will say I use a completely different computer for my portable ops and because of that, all I ever have to change is the grid and add the new "station" which is done by "Add".

Richard Rohrer

Hi Andrew,

I agree you can setup a location and upload to a /M or /P from ACL.  How do you download from that location?  I have not been able to successfully get ACL to download from LoTW either of my /M or /P contacts.  I think the problem with WSJT may only be for /M, which is does not seem to recognize.  I just gave up on eQSL since the locations stay for ever.  Not nearly as easy as LoTW;

Dick - KC3EF

Andrew K8AKC

On the top right it says "Own Call" - put in the call with the /P and it will download those QSOs.
You can copy the general settings from my screenshot.

Larry Banks

Hi Dick,

Did you get a new LoTW certificate for your /m or /p calls?  They are new calls, not the same as your KC3EF call.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2021 17:12
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Changes Necessary When Running Portable

Hi Andrew,

I agree you can setup a location and upload to a /M or /P from ACL.  How do you download from that location?  I have not been able to successfully get ACL to download from LoTW either of my /M or /P contacts.  I think the problem with WSJT may only be for /M, which is does not seem to recognize.  I just gave up on eQSL since the locations stay for ever.  Not nearly as easy as LoTW;

Dick - KC3EF

Mike Olbrisch

About 10 years ago I had a short discussion on the portable location situation with TPTB at E-QSL.  They seemed totally disinterested in finding a way to make portable operations work at all, much less making it easy.  They were actually pretty rude about it.  And I decided I was totally disinterested in using E-QSL for that reason alone.  Much of my activity over the past 15 years has been portable.

Same situation with Club-Log, although they were quite friendly about it.  They said theirs was a different purpose and portable operations didn’t fit in with the purpose.  Good enough.

Once you get it figured out, LoTW is easy for portable ops.  I do that all the time.

As for portable operations….. for the first time in the past 26 years I was off-grid for 9 days, and didn’t make a single ham radio contact.  Off-grid in a unique and beautiful area, and no radio operating at all, but our location was an off-road paradise.  Our camp was 5 miles from the ranger station, it took 1-hour in 4-wheel drive to do that 5-miles.  From the ranger station it was 34 miles to the nearest town.  All but the last 6 miles was in 4-wheel drive, and it was a 2-1/2 hour trip each way.  I never even unpacked the HF radio.  Every other day we would drive 45 minutes from camp to a hot-spot of the top of a high mesa so the wife could check in with her mother in Germany on the cell phone.  There were two AM-radio stations barely readable at night.

It would have been a great POTA opportunity.  I admit we were on a serious shake-down of our retirement gift to ourselves, the Expedition Trailer.  The 200-watt Solar system I designed was totally up to giving the 200 Ah battery bank a full charge even on the one rainy day.  Not sure how it will hold up when we add the 100-watt HF radio into the system.  But I left room to expand to 600-watts of Solar if needed. The rangers were shocked when they heard we had a trailer at Guale-1 campsite.  Then they saw the Jeep and trailer…..  O-K…   We stayed busy from sunrise to beyond sunset every day.

NO POTA THIS TRIP.  SOON!  I have a 44-foot fiberglass vertical for the trailer and a tuner for the base.  Logging will be in a small notebook -N3FJP AC-Log of course!

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Rohrer
Sent: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 15:13 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Changes Necessary When Running Portable

Hi Andrew,

Dick - KC3EF

Wyndell - K5WJF

One problem I've seen is on the other end of this.  QRZ, eQSL etc often show the grid as an error when a ham activates a grid outside their normal qth grid.

73 de Wyndell K5WJF

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Richard Rohrer

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the information.  When I saw your screen shot it was a "duh" moment, why did I not know this.  Works just fine.   I guess I will go back to using /M and /P again.

Dick - KC3EF