From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> on behalf of Keith Anderson via groups.io <wj1t@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2021 2:56 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Cat Control Problems

Hello all,

I have been using N3FJP for a couple of years or so.  No real issues until today.  My rig is a Yaesu FT-950 and I am using Windows 7 with a Rig Expert Plus Interface.  I use com4 for cat control.  I have had no issues with my AC log or any of the contest logs for the most part.  But today I tried to establish cat control with the SC QSO Party log and couldn't get it to work.  All of my settings are the same as have always worked.  So I went back to my AC Log and it was working correctly.  I thought well I probably have two programs trying to share the same port, so I intentionally switched the AC Log to an unused com port.  I then went back to the SC Qso Party Log, selected Com 4.  It didn't work.  I don't know, if that was the issue, but it seems I have had to do that in the past to establish CAT control with other contest logs.  I then closed the SC QSO log and tried to at least get my AC Log working again, but now it does not work either when selecting COM 4 and all the other settings that I have used successfully in the past.  I also tried setting up the NC QSO Log, no luck there either.  None of the logs were running simultaneously.  Just for the heck of it, I opened up the old free version of HRD that I was using before switching over to N3FJP software and CAT control worked fine.  I just wanted to see if the com port was working.   I have restarted my computer a couple of times during this process also.  I have in the past had problems briefly with getting CAT to work when switching from contest logs back and forth to AC logging, but this has me shut down as far as CAT is concerned.  Any help is much appreciated and thanks for reading this long post.  Lol
Keith
WJ1T

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S10.
Get Outlook for Android

Keith Anderson

Thanks for the reply Bill and good afternoon.  I am not getting any error messages when testing for CAT control using COM4.   I have been attempting to re-establish CAT connection with AC Log, but so far no luck.  It just says polling rig and both frequency and mode says awaiting response.  I was not aware of the API function and did not have it enabled.  That is exactly what I have needed so the various logs will work without reconfiguring every time.  Should I uninstall the two contest logs you think in order to get ACLogger going again?  Again, thanks for the reply.

From: Bill Grover <bgrover@...>
Date: 2/27/21 4:02 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

[...]

Thanks Bill.  I will shut everything down again and start just ACLog and try to get it going.  I have successfully used it for a couple of years now and am using the same settings that have always worked.  They are the settings listed for the FT-950 in the help section.  I'm beginning to think I may have to export my log and un-install the while thing and start over.  I sure hope not.

[...]

Scott Davis

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your e-mail. Sorry you've run into trouble. You said that you initially had AC Log working so go ahead and reenable AC Log's connection to your rig. While AC Log is properly polling your rig, click the Save Settings button at the lower left below your rig list. You can then close AC Log, and open any other N3FJP program, click the load settings and the programs will poll your rig fine.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

[...]

I shut the computer down and turned off the radio as well.  Booted everything back up.  With nothing but AC Log running.  I went through the rig interface set up again.  It still says Polling Rig and awaiting response.  I reviewed all connection help material again just to make sure I wasn't missing anything.  Reconfirmed all settings.  Still it will not read the frequency.  I have exported the entire log and absent any further ideas or suggestions I suppose tomorrow I'll un-install the entire thing and start from scratch.

[...]

Hi Scott,

That's the thing, I can't re-establish the CAT connection to my rig in the AC Log.

[...]

Lou WA5LOU

Are you sure your baud rates match and com port settings are all correct(computer and software)?

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 5:37 PM Keith Anderson <wj1t@...> wrote:
[...]

Good evening Lou and thank you for helping.  Yeah, I am pretty meticulous about taking notes on my settings.  COM 4 is definately the port governing CAT control.  The baud is 4800 and all settings match up and are configured as they have been in the past.  It has worked beautifully for a long while.  And it was working this morning.  But, the same settings from this morning now will not re-establish the connection.  I was unaware how to configure the settings to run all logs and was trying to make a QSO party log connect up.  And that was the start of the trouble.  The kind folks here have helped me with how to make the various logs play nicely with each other, but now I can't get the AC back in order.  Lol

[...]

You trying to adjust settings for QSO Party log may be the issue.  An inadvertent error on your part may have changed your settings.  Have you gone into your computer and verified the settings match your ACLog?  If it is polling and not connecting, something is not right with the settings.

What version of Windows are you running?

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:21 PM Keith Anderson <wj1t@...> wrote:
[...]

Yeah that's exactly what happened I think Lou.  But, I have gone back through everything and set everything back as it should be.  And triple checked all the settings.  But, still will not connect.  I'm kinda thinking something has been corrupted or something.  I have exported the log into two separate places.  I may have to start l over again.

[...]

Your settings should be:

Yaesu 950
Rig Name = Yaesu - Newer
Read Frequency Command = FA;
Read Mode Command = MD0;
Convert To Hex = False
Baud Rate = 4800
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 2
Data Bits = 8
Power Option = RTS

I believe you have a Yaesu 950.

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:36 PM Keith Anderson <wj1t@...> wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that's exactly what I have set.  It's worked for me too.  So, I know it's right.

[...]

OK!  Are the settings for your com port, etc. in your computer set correctly.  Verify once more that the match or do not match.  Also, check your cables.
If you are running Wndows 10 an update may have messed you up, too.  They are known to do that.

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 6:42 PM Keith Anderson <wj1t@...> wrote:
[...]

The thing is the com4 is working properly because I opened up an old version of HRD and it works perfectly.

[...]

Thanks for all the help.  Got it working.  It needed 38.4 baud.  I want to thank everyone that so graciously took their time to help me.  I really appreciate each of you so much.  And in the process, you taught me how to make other logs poll my rig without fuss.  That I had struggled with in the past.  Again, thank you.  73

[...]

I knew it had to be something like that.  Good for you, My Friend!  You figured it out.

73

Lou WA5LOU

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 8:14 PM Keith Anderson <wj1t@...> wrote:
[...]

Excellent!  Does this also mean you turned on ACLogs API server?  And you got a contest log setup to use the API for rig control?

Bill Grover,  N3EYF

[...]

Dennis Younker NE6I

Strange since it worked at 4800 earlier. As an aside, I’ve run it both ways here on two different rigs. Currently running at 38.4 though. Glad you got it working though, Keith. Hats off to Lou for the herculean effort in helping.

--Dennis NE6I