Topics

Canadian Provinces

Dale Martin, KG5U

Why do Provinces show up in the State column?

73,

Dale, kg5u

WA7WS

They don't show up in my logs.. not sure why if they do in yours.

Larry Banks

Hi Dale,

Provinces in Canada are the equivalent of States here.  Many countries have “states” of one sort or another.  ACLog is useful internationally, so it recognizes these.  I believe you can turn this on or off.

Of course, in the contest loggers various “states” in other countries are multipliers too.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 22:13
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Canadian Provinces

Why do Provinces show up in the State column?

73,

Dale, kg5u

Mitch NW0M

Uncheck 'Include State for DX' in LOTW Manager.

73, Mitch

From: Mitch NW0M
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 06:24:29 PST

Uncheck 'Include State for DX' in LOTW Manager.

73, Mitch

Hi, Mitch

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the box is unchecked.

73,

Dale, kg5u

Scott Davis

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your follow up. Once this is unchecked only US states should appear for any new QSO records after changing the setting. Keep in mind, any connected program can still feed that data.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Uncheck 'Include State for DX' in LOTW Manager.

73, Mitch

Hi, Mitch

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the box is unchecked.

73,
Dale, kg5u

Dale Martin, KG5U

Kimberly, KA3SEQ said: "Thanks for your follow up. Once this is unchecked
only US states should appear for any new QSO records after changing the
setting. Keep in mind, any connected program can still feed that data."
"States"??? We're talking provinces and counties. Also, I made no change --
the checkbox was unchecked.

My question was about why Canadian Provinces are showing up in the County
column of my logsheet.
I have not found anything in the WSJT-X log files that shows the provinces
for any Canadian QSOs I've made. So, it may be the ACL determines the
province and where to put it.
No matter what, to make my log look normal, it sounds like I get to write
another macro to fix things.this time, to relocate the provinces from County
column and into an Other# field. Fun.

73
Dale, kg5u

Scott Davis

Hi Dale,

Thanks for your follow up. We don't know of any reason why the Canadian provinces would show up in your County field.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

[...]

Mike Olbrisch

I am just throwing this out there as a random thought in my head, I don’t have time to check it. But I just wonder……

Are these totally new contacts, or stations you have worked before?  If stations you have worked before, is the STATE field already filled with old data and it is being carried forward to the latest contact?

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

[...]

I looked at my Qs with VE3KI that I've worked many times in contests.  Only sometimes 'ON' is populated in the State field.  So I looked at my N1MM adi files from various contests and again sometimes 'ON' was there but not always.  So if you're importing N1MM contest adi files, that is where the differences are coming from.

So ideally Scott would have to modify his software in adif imports to populate or not the State field for non-US records.  But that's obviously his call.

73, Mitch

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 10:38 AM, Dale Martin, KG5U wrote:
[...]

Sooooo….. essentially it is an import issue from another program.  That sounds reasonable.  I’ve seen some issues like that importing stuff across platforms and programs.  It will try to place data into the right slot, sometimes with interesting results.  I once imported a bunch of LAT/LON coordinates into a mapping program, and the locations ended up being in Russia.  The person who wrote the file didn’t consider that West-LON is a negative.  Change the sign and everything normalized.

Other than N3FJP’s AC-Log, I only use one other program for logging.  Last time I really operated Field Day, I was a Pedestrian Mobile.  I was already carrying a backpack frame with a QRP radio mounted on it, I didn’t want to carry even a small Windows computer.  And although ANDROID is the most popular O/S anywhere, N3FJP Field Day does not work on Android.  As I wanted to log on my phone (small and light-weight), I used an Android based program and later imported it into AC-Log.  That seemed to work flawlessly.  So until Scott breaks into the Android market, that’s how I’ll continue to operate.

I am in the process of overhauling the Pedestrian Mobile set, adding a new radio with all-mode 2m and 70cm capability.  Field Day this year should be interesting!

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt