Can't get the logging programs to work

Russ

My new computer won't let me use the logging programs.  Using Windows 10 and am overwhelmed with trying to figure out the ports and rig interface issues.  Wondering if Windows 10 has some settings that I don't know about since the error messages refer to inability to find the proper paths.  My rig is a Flex 6300.  I've used the same rig interface settings as others so am not sure where to start looking for answers.  Any help would be a life saver since I need to be running on an upcoming  QSO party and hand logging won't cut it...  Russ  K5ZZR   

Lou WA5LOU

Look to the N3FJP website for answers.  Look Here:

Lou WA5LOU

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 5:59 PM Russ via groups.io <champsruss=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My new computer won't let me use the logging programs.  Using Windows 10 and am overwhelmed with trying to figure out the ports and rig interface issues.  Wondering if Windows 10 has some settings that I don't know about since the error messages refer to inability to find the proper paths.  My rig is a Flex 6300.  I've used the same rig interface settings as others so am not sure where to start looking for answers.  Any help would be a life saver since I need to be running on an upcoming  QSO party and hand logging won't cut it...  Russ  K5ZZR   

Scott Davis

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your e-mail. Please send a screen shot of the error message you are receiving.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Sun, Feb 28, 2021 5:59 pm
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Can't get the logging programs to work

Russ

I don't know how to do a screenshot but I'll type out the error message.  

Error opening com port for Rig Interface.
The given port name does not start with COM/com or does not resolve to a valid serial port.  Parameter name:  portName.

After hitting done on Common Fields I get the message
Access to the path is denied.

Error saving settings file to:  
C:\Users?Russ/Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\Shared\CommonSettings.xml

My Rig Interface Setup is 
Flex Radio  Com 4 baud 4.8 Parity None Data Bits: 8 Stop Bits 2  Connection Power None (tried all four options and there was no difference) Polling 2 sec MD Rig 

I'm able to poll the rig and I get the freq and mode, also the check freq changes properly.  

When I hit done the message appears:
Access to the path is denied.  C;\Users\Russ\Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJPSoftware\OK-QSO-Party\RigSettings.xml
Then I see the log sheet appear and even has my call, county and freq.  When I log an imaginary call sign, RS,spc,county RS and hit enter it doesn't actually record the contact.  

Going to my device manager and clicking Ports, they are: 
Communications (COM1)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM104)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM105)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM4)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM5)

My Flex 6300 works properly and my desktop computer is a new one with Windows 10.

Thank you for you help Kimberly...  Russ

Scott Davis

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your e-mail. If you are using a Flex radio, you should not have a COM port selected in AC Log. Instead, just select the Flex API option. Flex's software handles all the COM port selection, etc. More details are here:

http://www.n3fjp.com/help/righelp.html

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

Sent: Mon, Mar 1, 2021 1:28 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Can't get the logging programs to work

I don't know how to do a screenshot but I'll type out the error message.  

Error opening com port for Rig Interface.
The given port name does not start with COM/com or does not resolve to a valid serial port.  Parameter name:  portName.

After hitting done on Common Fields I get the message
Access to the path is denied.

Error saving settings file to:  
C:\Users?Russ/Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\Shared\CommonSettings.xml

My Rig Interface Setup is 
Flex Radio  Com 4 baud 4.8 Parity None Data Bits: 8 Stop Bits 2  Connection Power None (tried all four options and there was no difference) Polling 2 sec MD Rig 

I'm able to poll the rig and I get the freq and mode, also the check freq changes properly.  

When I hit done the message appears:
Access to the path is denied.  C;\Users\Russ\Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJPSoftware\OK-QSO-Party\RigSettings.xml
Then I see the log sheet appear and even has my call, county and freq.  When I log an imaginary call sign, RS,spc,county RS and hit enter it doesn't actually record the contact.  

Going to my device manager and clicking Ports, they are: 
Communications (COM1)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM104)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM105)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM4)
FlexRadio Virtual Serial Port (COM5)

My Flex 6300 works properly and my desktop computer is a new one with Windows 10.

Thank you for you help Kimberly...  Russ

AB8WD-Willie

some of the letters and titles are off 

AB8WD-Willie

Had to reset all settings it inherited the old settings still work in progress disregard for know thanks

Russ

Well selecting the Flex API solved a lot of my problems and I was able to operate and log using the ARRL SSB DX program last week-end.  Only issue is the Fkey recordings didn't operate.  I'm setting up for the OKQP this week-end and have my recordings ready for F!, F6 and F7.  My CQ on  F1 works great when I hit the test button but not when I use the keyboard F keys.  Any advice would be appreciated because I'll be running in the OKQP  and last year was quite active for me but it was a handicap not being able to use the Audacity recordings.  Thank you  Russ K5ZZR

AB8WD-Willie

use cw on the flex bottom left corner

Scott Davis

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your follow up and good report.  Be sure the software is in phone mode when you press an F key to play a phone wave file.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

Sent: Tue, Mar 9, 2021 6:51 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Can't get the logging programs to work

Well selecting the Flex API solved a lot of my problems and I was able to operate and log using the ARRL SSB DX program last week-end.  Only issue is the Fkey recordings didn't operate.  I'm setting up for the OKQP this week-end and have my recordings ready for F!, F6 and F7.  My CQ on  F1 works great when I hit the test button but not when I use the keyboard F keys.  Any advice would be appreciated because I'll be running in the OKQP  and last year was quite active for me but it was a handicap not being able to use the Audacity recordings.  Thank you  Russ K5ZZR