Topics

Can't connect to LOTW for downloads

Bill Seward

I've suddenly developed a problem downloading data from LOTW in ACL 6.7. I seem to be able to upload OK, but not download. I updated TQSL to version 2.5.7. I've double-checked my login info in ACL. I can log into the LOTW web site. LOTW shows as up on Down For Me. I'm attaching captures of the 2 error messages. The first message is a 503-Server Unavailable, the second indicates an incorrect response from the server or username/password. Suggestions?

Paul AC9O

The LoTW web site is severely overwhelmed at this time. Big contest uploads being processed.  Wait a couple days. It was over 10 hours behind  today. 

Larry Banks

It’s now up to a 13 hour delay.  The CQ WW DX contest is one of the largest.  If you uploaded your Qs before last night at about 7PM, your confirmations ought to be there.  I always check the queue before I log into LoTW: http://www.arrl.org/logbook-queue-status

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 23:41
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Can't connect to LOTW for downloads

The LoTW web site is severely overwhelmed at this time. Big contest uploads being processed.  Wait a couple days. It was over 10 hours behind  today. 

K8TS

My log was uploaded to LoTW via N3FJP within a couple of hours of the end of the contest.  It was processed within about 4 hours.  Yesterday I did a download via N3FJP and got a full download.  After reading these comments I looked at the que and saw some pretty big numbers.  I did another download this morning, via N3FJP and got several new confirmations, so the system is working but very slowly.  I know participation was up this year, but the number of logs outstanding (in the que) looks very high to me.  If I recall there were about 8-9K in logs from the CW portion last year.  I believe the ARRL folks are on this, but this brings back memories of the weeks waiting for the download.  My guess is some of the biggest logs may not even be in the que yet.

14K – 18K outstanding (if I read the que right) is a huge number.

Dale K8TS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, November 30, 2020 11:41 PM
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

Gary

I suspect some folks have uploaded their logs multiple times thinking their uploads failed when they were really still in the que. Thus exacerbating the problem.

Joe kk0sd

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of K8TS
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 9:01 AM

My log was uploaded to LoTW via N3FJP within a couple of hours of the end of the contest.  It was processed within about 4 hours.  Yesterday I did a download via N3FJP and got a full download.  After reading these comments I looked at the que and saw some pretty big numbers.  I did another download this morning, via N3FJP and got several new confirmations, so the system is working but very slowly.  I know participation was up this year, but the number of logs outstanding (in the que) looks very high to me.  If I recall there were about 8-9K in logs from the CW portion last year.  I believe the ARRL folks are on this, but this brings back memories of the weeks waiting for the download.  My guess is some of the biggest logs may not even be in the que yet.

Dale K8TS

Scott Davis

Hi Guys,

Amateur Radio is seeing a massive resurgence.  In terms of users, we have seen many new folks, as well as those who have long been out of the hobby return.  

It will not surprise me to learn that there has been a major increase in logs submitted for CQ WW this year and a corresponding increase on LoTW uploads as well.

One super small data point, our small club went from 9 participants on our web score uploader last year to 15 this year for CQ WW CW.

And the best part is, our new guys are all REALLY having fun.  While it may overwhelm the current infrastructure for a time, I believe this resurgence that we are seeing in Amateur Radio is here to stay.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Dec 1, 2020 10:13 am

I suspect some folks have uploaded their logs multiple times thinking their uploads failed when they were really still in the que. Thus exacerbating the problem.

Joe kk0sd

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of K8TS

Dale K8TS

Mike Olbrisch

Good morning Scott.

That is an interesting observation, one that is true enough for now.   But I will disagree on a part of that, and I am already seeing the beginnings of it in other areas as winter approaches.  There’s no doubt most people know me as an outdoorsman.  Hiking, SOTA, camping and 4X4 (Overlanding) are my main activities along with competitive shooting and dog training.  The day after Thanksgiving I guided a 300-mile overland expedition…. We began at the air-down point at sunrise, and we exited the mountains and aired-up at the next fuel-point at sunset.

COVID has caused a huge shift in what people do.  My wife and I are wondering if we’ll be able to fly to Europe to visit her mother and all our friends this summer.  Last summer it was impossible, most of Europe was totally shut down.  So too is Mexico and Canada.  No Puerto Penasco, no Cancun, no Acapulco or Caribbean Islands, no Europe or Far East.  And domestically Sea World, Six-Flags, Disney-Land and Disney-World, Grand Ole Opéra, just about everything you can imagine that were vacation-spots are now not available.  From day to day you don’t even know if your favorite restaurant is open for dine-in, only doing take-out, or firing everyone and going bankrupt. 

Boredom has become the norm.  Families are looking for something to do.  “I know…….   Let’s Go Camping” !!!   Those of us who have done this all our lives are appalled at what is happening.  State parks are closed because the ranger staff cannot keep up with the trash and worse left by the inexperienced.  National Parks were so overwhelmed that volunteers were going in and cleaning the bathrooms until the National Parks Service closed them down.  Some states are limiting park entrance only to people from that state.  Campers throwing bags of trash at the park exit instead of taking it out with them.  And just try to buy a JEEP or a small trailer.  One of the more popular off-road trailer companies (Off-Grid Trailers) is taking orders now for delivery next September.  These newcomers have never heard things like “Leave No Trace”, “Pack It In, Pack It Out”, “Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints” etc.  And at least one forest fire was caused by an inexperienced beginner in Northern NM.

But the exodus of all this has already begun.  Advertisements on the web for “Off-Road trailer, used only twice, $$$” are beginning to appear.  Used camping gear “Tried camping and it isn’t for us – like-new tent for $$$$” showing up for sale.  As the COVID situation is eased by vaccines, immunity or whatever and travel restrictions are eased, more and more will return to the old things.  And items bought and tried will be stored away never to be used again, or sold.

I believe Ham Radio will see the same thing.  People will try it, and it is growing now.  We see that locally with the club presently doing on-line classes and monthly testing.  But for various reasons some will not stick with it.  Certainly some will stick, and the ones that do will hopefully continue to grow and learn by watching and asking questions of the OTs.  But some will drift away, the radio gear may end up on a shelf in the closet or sold at a garage sale.

We truly are experiencing interesting times.  Ham Radio is growing now, but I don’t think it will last.  All I can say is that I am so happy we bought a trailer that lets us truly get away from people.  My wife put a sticker on the back of our trailer.  It says “Don’t Follow Us, You Won’t Make It!”   I have a 44-ft fiberglass vertical for the trailer and 300w of solar feeding 3 x deep-cycle batteries.  The fridge-freezer holds about 10 days of chow.  We’re good.

As COVID winds down, I’d say watch for bargains in your areas of interest.  Radios, campers, whatever….. I think there will be bargains to be had.  So save your Christmas money.  Wishing you, Kimberly and the family the best of health and safety over the approaching holidays.

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC.

El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.

SOTA W5T-Texas Association Manager.

NA-SOTA info is at:  http://na-sota.org/

From: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io> On Behalf Of Scott Davis via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 1, 2020 8:39 AM

Hi Guys,

Amateur Radio is seeing a massive resurgence.  In terms of users, we have seen many new folks, as well as those who have long been out of the hobby return.  

It will not surprise me to learn that there has been a major increase in logs submitted for CQ WW this year and a corresponding increase on LoTW uploads as well.

One super small data point, our small club went from 9 participants on our web score uploader last year to 15 this year for CQ WW CW.

And the best part is, our new guys are all REALLY having fun.  While it may overwhelm the current infrastructure for a time, I believe this resurgence that we are seeing in Amateur Radio is here to stay.

73, Scott

N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Dec 1, 2020 10:13 am

Joe kk0sd

Dale K8TS