Backup paths

Joe Hewes, WA2JOE <joehewes@...>

Hello all,

Under backup options there are three:

Write a permanent backup once per month

Write a permanent backup once per week.

I have no idea how the program chose the long and convoluted paths for these files – it wound up in a folder on my OneDrive. Does anyone know how to change them? You can browse for a location for the third option, backup when close program, but not the first two.

Any insights appreciated.

73,

WA2JOE

Joe

Scott Davis

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Our software creates the support files and folders based on your default Windows OS %USERPROFILE% environment variable. The support files are very small and will not grow as your log does. The support files folder location isn't user customizable, but you can set AC Log or the contest software to look for your log file wherever you like.  Just open your log file and then click File > Save As. Then save your log file to your preferred location. AC Log will remember that location and continue to use it automatically, each time you start the software.

That said, you can change your default Windows settings, where your support files land, as detailed here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-tip-move-your-default-data-folders-to-a-different-drive/

If you go that route, just be sure to copy or move your data when you do, or you will be presented with a new log file and unregistered program next time your start AC Log. If that occurs, copy the files from your old location to your new one with File Manager. Then start AC Log and click File > Open, navigate to your log file and select it.

I have no idea how the program chose the long and convoluted paths for these files – it wound up in a folder on my OneDrive. Does anyone know how to change them? You can browse for a location for the third option, backup when close program, but not the first two.

Any insights appreciated.

73,
WA2JOE
Joe

Pat Whelton

Hey Joe.  I don’t mess with OneDrive and never plan to so I can’t comment on that.  I have my 3rd option set up as follows:

G:\My-Documents\ACLog-Backup

Where G: is a thumb drive I routinely backup to.  Not a part of the desktop nor the cloud.  If I need a backup that’s where I find it.

Regards,

Pat – KZ5J

I have no idea how the program chose the long and convoluted paths for these files – it wound up in a folder on my OneDrive. Does anyone know how to change them? You can browse for a location for the third option, backup when close program, but not the first two.

Any insights appreciated.

73,

WA2JOE

Joe

_._,_._,_

Joe Hewes, WA2JOE <joehewes@...>

Thanks Scott. For some odd reason on this new computer it chose a path in an Excel folder on my OneDrive, no idea why.

Typically where are these files held? Seems I would want them locally (with backups to the cloud) in case I have no internet and it needs these support files.

Many thanks,

Joe
WA2JOE

Joe Hewes, WA2JOE <joehewes@...>

hi Pat,

That's a good option also, but I am out of USB ports (unless I add a hub) on this laptop. The cloud works okay for me.

Joe WA2JOE

Scott Davis

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your follow up.  The typical path looks like this:

C:\Users\YourWindowsUserProfile\Documents\Affirmatech\N3FJP Software\ACLog

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ