locked Adding Optical Scanning for QSL Cards - Disaster Recovery

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

This is just a "shoot from the hip" idea... I'm thinking of a disaster recovery scenario but it has other uses as well.

Of course, we all save a copy of our log files "in the cloud," right?  (Say yes.  If you don't, get on it.  All your important data needs to be stored 'off site' in some way.)

But what about our paper QSL cards?  I know some hams scan both sides of each card into a PDF file so at least they can be saved on a computer, and stored off-site.  There's a significant investment in these cards and they're important to our hobby.

As I was thinking on embarking on scanning 40 some odd years of cards, I was thinking it would be nice if the image file was somehow linked to its record in my log book.  Click on the logbook entry, data pops up along with an image of the QSL card!

My understanding is there are plenty of drivers and API's for scanners, so integrating into ACLog probably would not be that difficult.  It's just a matter of storing the image file along with the log file in some way.

I'm not a programmer or I would help!

It's just an idea, so feel free to shoot me down, but I think it would add a lot of value.

73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ

Scott Davis

Thanks for taking the time to send along your thoughts and suggestions Marlo.  It is an interesting idea!

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ

[...]

Danny Bush

Saving Logs to "The Cloud" needs to be done separate from any of the current logging software used these days...especially N3FJP and N1MM. It is a PROVEN fact that allowing your software to store and run from the cloud WILL end up corrupted! There are literally hundreds of threads about this very topic in the Reflectors for both of the mentioned logging software...and I speak from first hand knowledge.

It is Highly suggested that "One Drive" and any other cloud service you use, be removed or no where near your operating software. Do yourself and search the topic, you'll get the dictionary on corruption.

73,
Danny  NF4J

Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2021 at 6:52 PM
From: "Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ" <ka2irq@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

[...]

Danny,

You misread my email.  No one is suggesting you run your logging program with the data files stored exclusively "in the cloud."  Your data files need to be stored locally and *copied* to the cloud so they are off-site. As I said, "we all save a copy of our log files," 'copy' being the operative word.

But that isn't the topic of this thread.  How you get the copy off-site is up to you.  Linking QSL card images to the log database is the topic.

73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ

Danny Bush

Marlo,

The operative word is cloud, and I stay as far from it as I can. You can word it however you like but you also have to understand that if I mistook what you were saying, how many others will also mistake it and put their software and backups in the cloud?

Reading threads, messages or whatever, in black and white on an email, can always be misinterpreted Marlo. My point was to make sure that they did not run their software from the cloud...so if I turn that around, you mistook what I said. There are also many other ways to save backups with external hard drives, synology, etc., so I would say that while you were giving your idea, you should reiterate that the Cloud isn't to be used as a main drive because it WILL take your logging software and make everybit of it go away...again I speak from experience. It would be much easier for Guys like you and I to work together instead of trying to make points Marlo...everyone else stands to gain alot more knowledge that way.

73,
Danny NF4J

Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 12:22 PM
From: "Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ" <ka2irq@...>
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io

Danny,

You misread my email.  No one is suggesting you run your logging program with the data files stored exclusively "in the cloud."  Your data files need to be stored locally and *copied* to the cloud so they are off-site. As I said, "we all save a copy of our log files," 'copy' being the operative word.

But that isn't the topic of this thread.  How you get the copy off-site is up to you.  Linking QSL card images to the log database is the topic.

73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ

Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ

Danny,

I stand by my original statement..... "Of course, we all save a copy of our log files "in the cloud," right?"

There is no ambiguity in that statement.  I said "copy."  I'm not sure how anyone can misinterpret those words to mean anything other than... a copy.

So I'm not sure what you're on about or what that has to do with scanning QSL cards.  I was simply implying that we back up our log data, but we have no backup for paper QSL cards that can be destroyed in a fire.  If such occurred, you would be able to recover your log later on, but have no way of recovering your QSL collection, some of which may be needed later to submit for DXCC entity credit.  Of course, DXCC seems moot when you consider a disaster like a fire, but, be that as it may, I still think it worthwhile to scan cards as a backup - and yes, store a copy of the image files in the cloud.

The developer of the software has responded in this thread that she thought it was an interesting idea... that was the total and complete mission of my original message.  Therefore I consider this thread "closed" and will not comment further.

73,
Marlo
KA2IRQ

Jim Shorney

AFAIK scanned images of cards would not be accepted for DXCC credit. Although it is a neat idea.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 19:55:09 -0700
"Marlo Montanaro - KA2IRQ" <ka2irq@comcast.net> wrote:

So I'm not sure what you're on about or what that has to do with scanning QSL cards.  I was simply implying that we back up our log data, but we have no backup for paper QSL cards that can be destroyed in a fire.  If such occurred, you would be able to recover your log later on, but have no way of recovering your QSL collection, some of which may be needed later to submit for DXCC entity credit

Scott Davis

Hi All,

Given that we have responded to Marlo's original query and it has subsequently experienced topic drift away from software support, we are locking this thread.

Be well and enjoy!

73, Kimberly, KA3SEQ