Adding historical entries in contact log

John Grainger

Hi All
I am new to this group and also the software, which was recommended to me when I said I wished to move over to an electronic logbook. Although I have been licensed since the mid 70’s my contact numbers are not great, so I intend to input  ALL my contacts. I am very pleased with the software so far (it connects very easily to my 3 main rigs - IC7300, IC9700 and KX3).

Moving on,  I think I have an issue when inputting old data. I am linked to eqsl (which is also new to me). When I enter a historical contact if I tick the qsl sent box the entry turns green. My question is will this resend a qsl request via eqsl? I've got a feeling it does but how do I check this? I have already had an eqsl appear in my inbox in relation to a contact 20 years ago.

Hope someone can help me on this as I really do like this software.

73 and stay safe
John G4FTN

John Grainger

Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

Larry Banks

Hi John,

I’m not sure what your query is, as it is not included.  I do remember some discussion about interleaving Qs between other contacts in ACLog.  If this is your issue, it can only be done by date – I do this all the time; for example if I am running two contests at the same time, the Qs from the two will end up interleaved.

I guess I don’t understand why you would want your log out of date order.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:44
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] Adding historical entries in contact log

Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

John Grainger

Hi Larry
I'm new to this group and presumed my post from yesterday under a new topic would be visible.
Problem is….I’m trying this software which I do like in order to move to an electronic log from a paper log. When I enter an old contact which I have previously qsl’d it appears the ACLog is sending out new requests via eqsl (which is also new to me). How do I check if it is and if it is, stop it? I know I could just not tick the check box but I would like to replicate this log as accurately as I can to the original paper logs. My intention is to go back to when first licensed in 1975 and enter all contacts. Apart from the first couple of years I have not been that active. I have entered about 1500 contacts so far and I would say I was at least halfway there. Any help on my query would be much appreciated.
John
G4FTN

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:44

Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

Lou WA5LOU

John -

You didn’t include the thread showing any of your previous message(s).  What was it you needed?

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM John Grainger via groups.io <kinverjohn=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

K4GM-George

John G4FTN,

Turn off automatic upload to eQSL.   Enter all your contacts.  Then turn it back on for future contacts if you want to upload to eQSL.  But I am still not sure that I understand your issue.

73, George K4GM

On 3/22/2021 4:26 PM, John Grainger via groups.io wrote:
[...]

AI3KS

John,

You need to create accounts for each callsign and location in eQSL and then upload them to that specific account. When you upload/download from eQSL it will place an "E" in the Sent Conf by and Rec Conf by fields.

If you also use LoTW, you need a certificate for each callsign/location and do the same with uploading and downloading. Remember that nothing in the log is changed UNTIL the contacts are processed by LoTW AND you do a download. ACLog then places an "L" in the sent conf by and rec conf by fields.

Hope this helps.

Steve, AI3KS

On 21/03/23 11:21, Lou WA5LOU wrote:
John -

You didn’t include the thread showing any of your previous message(s).  What was it you needed?

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM John Grainger via groups.io <kinverjohn=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

John Grainger

I’m not sure why people are not seeing my original post of the problem so I will try again with it here

I'm new to this group and presumed my post from yesterday under a new topic would be visible.
Problem is….I’m trying this software which I do like in order to move to an electronic log from a paper log. When I enter an old contact which I have previously qsl’d it appears the ACLog is sending out new requests via eqsl (which is also new to me). How do I check if it is and if it is, stop it? I know I could just not tick the check box but I would like to replicate this log as accurately as I can to the original paper logs. My intention is to go back to when first licensed in 1975 and enter all contacts. Apart from the first couple of years I have not been that active. I have entered about 1500 contacts so far and I would say I was at least halfway there. Any help on my query would be much appreciated.

It has been suggested that I turn off auto uploads, enter all my historical contacts then when I am back live with current so’s to turn it back on. Will this still not upload requests for all the historical so’s as well?
John
G4FTN

Larry Banks

Hi John,

I don’t use eQSL so I’m not sure I can help.  However there is an automated upload to eQSL that you might have enabled.  If so, you can turn it off:  eLOGS >> eQSL

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:44

Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

Bill Grover

The only thing I can think of, unfortunately I’m not in a position to test first, would be to try the following.

1 - Turn off the eQSL upload.
2 - Enter your logs.  If you can put an E in the Conf Sent field at this time do it.
If you couldn’t put the E in the field continue on.
3 - Highlight your entries, you should be able to do this in batches, and then do a bulk edit.
4 - In the bulk edit put an E in the Conf Sent field.

The key is having the E in the Conf Sent field.  This indicates to the system that the record has already been uploaded to eQSL.

Bill Grover, N3EYF

Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 10:44

Hi All Again....

I have had no replies to this query. Is there really no one who can help as I am very keen to continue adding all me historical contacts into the log?
Here's hoping...
73
John G4FTN

W5DET

Hello John,

Entering all your historical contacts directly into ACLog may be more time consuming than necessary because you will have to tab through or use your mouse to bypass unused fields.  You can create a spreadsheet to accommodate your preferences and then follow instructions such as these (Click) to convert your spreadsheet into ADIF format for importing into ACLog.  If you aren't comfortable with a process such as this, entering your contacts directly into ACLog will be your best choice.

Some other key points:

  • Automatic Uploads are NOT enabled by default to my knowledge so this shouldn't be an issue.  I tried them but we lose connectivity so frequently in this rural area that other problems were introduced so I turned off the feature and do batch uploads when needed.

  • To check and/or disable Automatic Uploads, click on the eLogs menu item, then on LotW.  Next, be certain the "Enable Real Time Uploads" checkbox immediately below "TQSL Software Path" is empty.  If it has a check mark in it, click on it to clear it.  Then Click on DONE at the upper right.

  • Next, click on eLogs again and select eQSL.  At the bottom of the window that opens up, just above the DONE button, is the "Enable Real Time Upload" checkbox.  Be certain it is not checked.

  • What should have been cautioned is to deselect ALL of the CallBook menu item features while entering your historical data.  Call signs may have changed hands and QTH's changed.  You will want to keep the original contact info when you enter it.  Once saved, it should remain unchanged and you can enable the automatic lookup features again.

  • The same is true, I suspect, of the files from AD1C.  I recommend to not install those until you have completed your historical data entries.  The menu selection to download those is found under the File menu item.

I'm certain you will come to enjoy using the N3FJP programs as much as so many of us.  Scott and crew have done a marvelous job of creating a a feature-rich, easy to use suite of programs that make computer logging a breeze.

73, Doug, W5DET

John Grainger

Hi Doug
Thanks for all the advice. I will try out your instructions this evening. I’m ok with typing straight into ACLog. I’ve got very adept and speedy at it and have put half of my lifetime contacts (about 1500) in already in about a week at odd times of day. I was just concerned that I was going to send out eqsl’s for old contacts as I was entering them if I marked the old contact as having sent a qsl request. This would have been requested of course years ago via the National qsl Bureau here in the UK. I think this has already happened with some contacts I have entered as I have received at least 1 eqsl for a contact which I was not aware I had requested from the early 80’s.
Anyway, thanks again. I never realised moving into the 21st Century was going to be such a problem hi!

Stay safe and 73

John G4FTN

Jim Shorney

I guess I wonder why you would not want your old QSOs on eQSL. It is a standalone QSL system and many hams chase eQSL awards. Your contact may be that last one they need. I am happy to receive "new" DX confirmations for contacts up to 20 years old on eQSL or LoTW as DX ops enter their old paper logs into the systems and my paper QSLs don't care... :) When I ever find my old paper logs all the contacts under my novice and general calls will go online as well.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 16:57:18 +0000
[...]

Hi Jim NU0C

I have no problems with receiving eqsl (or paper) for historical QSO’s where others want a confirmation of a contact. I was just worried that old contacts I was entering with a tick for QSL request, would generate a new request as they were showing in green in the log window. My concern was that people would be receiving eqsl requests for old contacts they had already qsl’d with a paper qsl card either via the bureau or direct.
Perhaps I do not fully understand the working of this system. I see this system could have the potential to flood inboxes as individuals like myself go over to a paper log and input historical date. Anyway, from the replies I’ve had, apparently this won’t happen although I’m still not 100% sure why.
Thanks again for all the replies. I’m going to press ahead with data input so no more responses required.

Stay safe everyone
73
John G4FTN

Mike Olbrisch

Well, I don't use eQSL.  I work a lot of portable ops, and eQSL makes it a real pain to have more than one operating location.  LoTW does it with a couple of mouse clicks.  So I know very little about eQSL.

However, one of the problems with inputting your logs from years ago is that call sign owners change over time.  If it is a 2X1 or a 1X2 call, there is a good chance the person you talked to 25 years ago is not the person presently holding that call. Just something to be aware of.  Especially if you have the QRZ lookup running.

Vy73  –  Mike  –  KD5KC –  El Paso – Texas  –  DM61.

ADVENTURE:  The respectful pursuit of trouble.   An EXIT is really an

ENTRANCE to someplace new.

"John Grainger via groups.io" <kinverjohn@...> wrote:

> Hi Doug

> Thanks for all the advice. I will try  out your instructions this evening. I’m ok with typing straight into ACLog. I’ve got very adept and speedy at it and have put half of my lifetime contacts (about 1500) in already in about a week at odd times of day. I was just concerned that I was going to send out eqsl’s for old contacts as I was entering them if I marked the old contact as having sent a qsl request. This would have been requested of course years ago via the National qsl Bureau here in the UK. I think this has already happened with some contacts I have entered as I have received at least 1 eqsl for a contact which I was not aware I had requested from the early 80’s.

> Anyway, thanks again. I never realised moving into the 21st Century was going to be such a problem hi!

> Stay safe and 73

> John G4FTN

Jim Shorney

Ah, ok. AFAIK if eQSL offers the opportunity to generate a paper QSL request it is optional. I seem to remember such a service but never had the need to use it. The electronic QSL is automatic. Any paper request would be an opt-in.

73

-Jim
NU0C

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:55:37 +0000