Topics

ACLog spots to Flex 6400 Panadapter

Dan Trainor

Hello All, looking for instructions on how to setup ACLog DX spots to feed Flex API.  Thanks in advance.  dan WA1QZX

Scott Davis

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your e-mail.  Click Settings > Rig Interface and select Flex API from the rig list.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

-----Original Message-----
To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers <N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 10, 2019 6:37 am
Subject: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] ACLog spots to Flex 6400 Panadapter

Hello All, looking for instructions on how to setup ACLog DX spots to feed Flex API.  Thanks in advance.  dan WA1QZX

Dan Trainor

Thanks Scott!  This worked for many months with nice SPOTS on SSDR panadapter, but recently it stopped working a month or two ago.  Flex API Interface.  Did something change on ACLog side?  I am in process of troubleshooting on Flex 6400 / SSDR side.  Thank you very much!  Dan WA1QZX 

Scott Davis

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your e-mail.  No, there have been no changes whatsoever to the Flex API interface code (or any other problem reports), so something external to AC Log, specific to your system is at play.

73, Scott
N3FJP

Serving the Amateur Radio community with contesting and general logging software since 1997.

1 Peter 3 vs 15: Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...

To: N3FJPSoftwareUsers@groups.io
Sent: Mon, Oct 19, 2020 12:22 pm
Subject: Re: [N3FJPSoftwareUsers] ACLog spots to Flex 6400 Panadapter

Thanks Scott!  This worked for many months with nice SPOTS on SSDR panadapter, but recently it stopped working a month or two ago.  Flex API Interface.  Did something change on ACLog side?  I am in process of troubleshooting on Flex 6400 / SSDR side.  Thank you very much!  Dan WA1QZX 

Dan Trainor

Thanks Scott!  Something in my local PC environment or Flex radio API must have changed.  I am troubleshooting.  Thanks for eliminating one possibility. Dan

Dan Trainor

Hello again Scott.  I can not find:  Settings > Rig Interface and Select N3FJP API) mentioned in the Settings > Application Programming Interface (API) Dialog box as something that should be checked.  Thanks,  Dan

Lou Everett, Sr.

API is in the FILE dropdown menu

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 7:47 AM Dan Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:
Hello again Scott.  I can not find:  Settings > Rig Interface and Select N3FJP API) mentioned in the Settings > Application Programming Interface (API) Dialog box as something that should be checked.  Thanks,  Dan

Scott Davis

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your follow up.  To interface directly with a Flex radio, here is what you are looking for in Settings > Rig Interface:

Capture.JPG

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Oct 20, 2020 7:47 am

Dan Trainor

Hi Lou,  I only see "Transfer API" in Files dropdown menu.  Which is for another purpose.  I am trying to set up a working TCP / IP connection between ACLog and FlexRadio via the Flex API (DLL) interface.  I am troubling shooting the issue end-to-end. I do not yet know how to establish this connection and pass Band, Freq, Mode, Spot information to/from ACLog and Flex Radio.  I have configured everything I can on ACLog side with port 1100 LISTENING, but see no data passing.  But, it is not clear to me how to configure Flex to know about this port.  Puzzled. Thanks, dan WA1QZX

Lou Everett, Sr.

I believe Scott sent you the answer you need.  Roger?

Lou WA5LOU

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Dan Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:
Hi Lou,  I only see "Transfer API" in Files dropdown menu.  Which is for another purpose.  I am trying to set up a working TCP / IP connection between ACLog and FlexRadio via the Flex API (DLL) interface.  I am troubling shooting the issue end-to-end. I do not yet know how to establish this connection and pass Band, Freq, Mode, Spot information to/from ACLog and Flex Radio.  I have configured everything I can on ACLog side with port 1100 LISTENING, but see no data passing.  But, it is not clear to me how to configure Flex to know about this port.  Puzzled. Thanks, dan WA1QZX

Dan Trainor

Yes Scott.  I know that.  I have selected Flex API. That is how I got this to work in the past.  I was asking about:  Settings > Rig Interface and Select "N3FJP API"  - which are the instructions in the comments section of Settings > Application Programming Interface (API) Dialog box.  If that comment is incorrect or obsolete, I shall ignore.   I am just simply trying to set up a TCP / IP connection between ACLog and FlexRadio via Flex API (DLL).  I am monitoring TCP / IP connections and data flow.  I see ACLog IP port on 1100, but no data being sent or received.  So, on the Flex side I am trying to understand how Flex would even know about 1100 or whatever I set it to as there does not seem to be a way on Flex side to specify this logger port number.  Or maybe ACLog and Flex is supposed to use another port number.  Nothing is documented that I can find on Flex end with regard to ACLog.  Puzzling.  Still troubleshooting.  I never give up :)  dan

Scott Davis

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your follow up.  My previous reply for the Flex API is correct, and all you need.  

Use the N3FJP API in rig interface to connect to another N3FJP program.  For example, AC Log connected to your rig, while also running one or more state QSO parties, all simultaneously enjoying the features or rig interface.

The Flex API code is completely independent of the N3FJP API code.   There is no need to enable the N3FJP API at all to connect to your Flex, as that is all handled by the Flex API selection in my software and the Flex DLL.

Enjoy!

73, Scott
N3FJP

Sent: Tue, Oct 20, 2020 9:09 am

Yes Scott.  I know that.  I have selected Flex API. That is how I got this to work in the past.  I was asking about:  Settings > Rig Interface and Select "N3FJP API"  - which are the instructions in the comments section of Settings > Application Programming Interface (API) Dialog box.  If that comment is incorrect or obsolete, I shall ignore.   I am just simply trying to set up a TCP / IP connection between ACLog and FlexRadio via Flex API (DLL).  I am monitoring TCP / IP connections and data flow.  I see ACLog IP port on 1100, but no data being sent or received.  So, on the Flex side I am trying to understand how Flex would even know about 1100 or whatever I set it to as there does not seem to be a way on Flex side to specify this logger port number.  Or maybe ACLog and Flex is supposed to use another port number.  Nothing is documented that I can find on Flex end with regard to ACLog.  Puzzling.  Still troubleshooting.  I never give up :)  dan

Dan Trainor

OK, I have exhausted all possible troubleshooting options.  Still does not work.  Anything that would block communications in my environment (fire walls, etc) have been turned off.  So, I am thinking it is a Flex API issue.  But, unfortunately this N3FJP to Flex API Interface is undocumented on the Flex side and I have yet to find the person that wrote the Interface SW.  If I can find the person, I would able to ask them how this interface works and that would give me insight into how to troubleshoot. I am a software engineer so I understand.  Worse case, I can fire up Visual Studio and write another interface bridge between N3FJP ACLog and Flex API.  The interface commands on each side are well documented.  By writing it myself, I would then know how it communicates between client and server, so if anything goes wrong I can troubleshoot.  As it is now, there is no documentation on the communication details between the two products so troubleshooting in the dark.  Anyone happen to know who wrote the SW? thanks, dan

Dan Trainor

Thank you to Dave wo2x!!!! Who called me and helped me out using a TeamViewer troubleshooting session. Always good to have a second pair of eyes when you get stuck. And he found the issue quickly. Thank you kindly Dave! Turned out since I was operating remote the data packets between ACLog and Flex Radio API were not being passed though the home router, as the router was blocking and not forwarding this port. I now have at at least two solutions. 1) port forward 12061 in home router and/or have a local PC running that would serve to feed Flex API with Spots locally. Thanks again Dave for helping understand what the issue was and suggesting work arounds. I hope this information helps someone in the future if they have a similar scenario. The SPOTS were all working for me for about a year when my SSDR client was local and directly connected to the radio through a switch and thus the SPOT data packets were passing successfully from ACLog to Flex Radio Panadapter. When I moved the SSDR client remote, as I didn't think about how that may affect the ACLog to Flex Radio interaction. Dave didn't have to take the time out and kindly lend a hand to this old man but he did and I am grateful. Thank you, dan WA1QZX

Dan Trainor

This issue is closed.  Thank you.