ACLOG and Yaesu FT450 radio

davidcornell123@...

I have followed guidance for Rig setup of Yaesu FT450 radio on ACLOG Rig Interface page.
I use a DTECH USB to DB9 serial cable to connect to a computer USB port (because my Dell AIO
computer has USB ports only, no DB9 serial port.) Attempts fail when ACLOG polls the radio (via
port COM4) for frequency and mode. Respond if you have positive result for interfacing Yaesu radio
to ACLOG software via USB to DB9 (RS232) cable. Thank you, David Cornell W9LD

James Goff

I had a similar issue. You will need a serial-to-USB cable and driver, usually sold as a package. Without the driver, there is no true connection. I purchased Sabrent  SBT-USC6k software and cable and resolved the issue.

73, W1JHG
-Jim

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 12:50 PM David Cornell <davidcornell123@...> wrote:
I have followed guidance for Rig setup of Yaesu FT450 radio on ACLOG Rig
Interface page.
I use a DTECH USB to DB9 serial cable to connect to a computer USB port
(because my Dell AIO
computer has USB ports only, no DB9 serial port.) Attempts fail when
ACLOG polls the radio (via
port COM4) for frequency and mode. Respond if you have positive result
for interfacing Yaesu radio
to ACLOG software via USB to DB9 (RS232) cable. Thank you, David Cornell
W9LD

David Cornell <davidcornell123@...>

Thank you, Jim, W1JHG, for  your reply. Glad your issue was resolved.  The serial-to-USB cable I have is a Dtech unit, with its own driver (on disc) that I installed.  This installation enabled port COM 4, which I selected in the ACLOG  Rig interface page, to no avail.  Perhaps I need to purchase the Sabrent SBT-USC6k cable and driver, as you recommend.  The one I bought was the only one I found at Amazon.  Perhaps I should look further there, and/or at Best Buy.

73, Dave, W9LD

James Goff

Dave:  COM 4 seems to be the 'default' port for the Rig Interface in many cases. In my experience, it successfully selected COM 7. I would think that if your cable came with its own software driver, it would work. You might go into Device Manager and scroll down to 'Ports", confirm that the driver is present, right-click on the driver, select Properties to verify "The device is working properly." If you get a negative response, I'd suggest deleting and then re-installing the driver. I am at a loss for other trouble-shooting clues.

73, W1JHG
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 2:20 PM David Cornell <davidcornell123@...> wrote:
Thank you, Jim, W1JHG, for  your reply. Glad your issue was resolved.  The serial-to-USB cable I have is a Dtech unit, with its own driver (on disc) that I installed.  This installation enabled port COM 4, which I selected in the ACLOG  Rig interface page, to no avail.  Perhaps I need to purchase the Sabrent SBT-USC6k cable and driver, as you recommend.  The one I bought was the only one I found at Amazon.  Perhaps I should look further there, and/or at Best Buy.

73, Dave, W9LD

David Cornell <davidcornell123@...>

Jim: I really appreciate your thoughtful responses.  I used Device Manager to confirm that COM 4 "was working properly" after installing the Dtech driver.   Still ACLog failed to update with frequency and mode when running. Like you I had high hopes after installing the driver.  I could try deleting the driver, and reinstalling it, but have not done so yet.

Regarding the Sabrent cables and drivers, I found them on Amazon and am considering buying one, if my Dtech cable/driver doesn't work.  The Sabrent cables all appear to have male serial DB9 connectors, so connection to the TS450 would require a gender changer, because the radio's CAT connector is also male. Presumably, that's what  you did by providing a gender changer for your serial connector.

73. Dave. W9LD
425-563-3642 (c)

James Goff

Dave:  If the Device Manager is coming up working, I suspect the issue is somewhere else; I wish I knew where.

My rig is the Kenwood 590S with a Type AB USB 2.0 connector. Its plug-end jack looks a lot like the male plugs for printer inputs. The computer end of the cable is what I consider the 'usual' flat USB male, so no gender changing necessary. The 590 does include a serial port but I chose not to use it.   I regret not being more helpful.

I wish I had, but glad I don't, a record of every time I used this group for help. Sooner or later (usually sooner) someone has just the perfect answer.

73, W1JHG

-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:58 PM David Cornell <davidcornell123@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave:  I was able to order my cable with its TYPE AB plug connector and standard USB plug with Sabrent...a number of cable options were available.
-Jim

James H. Goff
207-944-3297 (c)

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:22 PM James Goff via groups.io <goffmaine=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

nb7o

Just a thought to try.  I never let USB to Serial converters have com3 nor com4.  Those com ports were originally reserved for on-board com ports.  I have had many problems over the years with windows and some boards when com 3 or com 4 was assigned to a converter.  I just naturally now change them to something above 4 just to be safe.  You can use device manager that you mentioned earlier to make this change.

seven three de Kevin/NB7O

David Cornell <davidcornell123@...>

OK, Jim, I just realized that your rig is a Kenwood (590) while mine is a Yaesu (450).  While the issues are similar between us, there are details that differ.  You have encouraged me to persevere here.  Thank you.
Dave W9LD

Mitch Matteau N0DIM

I have my FT-450D connected via USB and it works fine with ACLog.

My settings are attached.

73

Mitch N0DIM